...and before anyone asks if I've contacted Aura about this - yes I have, several times.
Every time I open the plugin, it's forgotten which MIDI ports it's using. That applies to at least Ableton and Cubase. Anyone know if there's a way around this?
ChrisCabbage on my system (specs a few messages up in the thread if you’re curious), the Mystery Islands stand-alone editor remembers the settings reliably.
I am not using the plug-in.
It's the plug-in which seems to forget the settings every time. Mostly Ableton in my case. Haven't extensively tried with Cubase.
Standalone seems to mostly work OK.
On the subject of Mystery Islands editor, anyone found a way to get it to store and remember its settings for MIDI and device type (e.g. Virus C or Virus TI)?
Currently, ever time I start it, I have to go and edit those settings.
Update - public beta of RME's USB driver, released only today, cures the aggregate problem!
I now just need their HDSPe drivers to be updated.
Update - new info!
It looks like Cubase *is* now supporting aggregate devices, except for my 3 word-clock-synched Hammerfalls. That wasn't the case a short time ago.
In which case, I guess I can now take it back to RME.
That's interesting. I can't get it to work on 3 different Macs. All Intel based.
RME (who make my sound cards) accept that it's an issue. I've spoken to a lot of other people who say it's an issue.
Even Steinberg have accepted it as an issue which they're not going to address. They said that they don't support Aggregate devices!
There's sadly a problem here with the Steinberg products (e.g. Cubase). Steinberg don't support aggregate devices, and aggregate devices don't currently work. They're refusing to update their asio converter.
There might be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel:
That is interesting for sure, but I reckon we still need a way of dealing with the hardware we have.
I've found a work-around which works for me, but it's really not ideal!
What I'm now doing, is using an old MacBook running an older MacOS, to host the plug-in with Ableton.
Then, on my main system, I send MIDI to the Virus' MIDI input DIN. Ableton is mapped with multiple channels, one for each MIDI channel I'm using, so that I can drive multiple channels from my main DAW.
Outputs are then send to the analogue outputs.
"Live" mode used, to cut latency.
Then, when I've finished editing, I move my patches to the RAM slots. Performance and recording then done using groups which I set up manually.
It's a real pain in the backside, but the only practical way around I've found so far - until and unless the Mystery Islands plug-in becomes usable.
Easier to add a DAC unit to the SPDIF output?
can anyone please tell me if virus is still working with Mac OS Mojave ? any reply would be appreciated .. fired up my old Mac with Catalina and plug in works fine with hardware but can't pass sound through the usb . when I hooked up analog outs it works but virus can't be set up correctly in daw . I am 100 percent thinking about going back in time with Sierra or Mojave if they fully function that is
Yep. Works OK with Mojave.
I have 2 volumes on my desktop Mac. Primary Big Sur volume and also a Mojave volume, which I use for the legacy stuff.
As a software engineer myself - I am a firm believer in constantly/ incrementally updating the libraries/frameworks that your application relies upon - and not just leaving your application to rot. We've long adopted this approach for our own software - and it's served us well.
Moving drivers out of kernel space, is definitely a good thing security-wise.
In the case of USB streamed audio via a plug-in, since Elektron are now using the Apple frameworks for their system, it also means that they're not reliant on Ploytec to get their act together every time the OS changes.
A while ago I managed to write a CoreAudio MIDI Driver to support the USB Virus MIDI ports, and posted it here: https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver, it should support Catalina and Big Sur because it's completely user-land and does not have require any custom kernel extensions.
Well, it's built with no errors, so that's a good start! Will try and test over the weekend.
Edit: Yep - it actually works! Nice one! Had to delete the .plugin file and re-build though. Re-build on its own, didn't do the trick.
For what it's worth, Elektron are now in beta with their TI-like Big Sur drivers.
They're reportedly using Apple's own resources to implement their part of the system in user-space, which they say will hopefully make future maintenance easier. The underlying stuff will essentially be maintained by Apple.
I never had any issues with latency
If you programmed your MIDI events, then you might not have hit problems, but the latency would still have been there. If you played notes in via any kind of controller, it was inevitable.
You could enable "live" mode, but that would put all Virus tracks out of sync with anything else in your project whilst it was/is enabled.