Beiträge von LivePsy

Can I feed a stereo signal (drum loop) through the filters and play with them like a Filter Factory or MFC42? Is ext audio summed to mono for the filter and how does parallel/serial routing of the filters affect this?

Away from the Virus for a week and eyeing some filter gear...

Regards,
    B

This thread has a lot of readers, and I know a lot of people want a 303-ish sound. But really, these suggestions are not similar to a 303 sound at all. The V-Synth has a 303 filter emulation, which is a unique part of the sound, and even then its close but not 100%.

So I'd like to open up the thread to a wider topic: what are your experiences with 303 emulation on other synths? x0xb0x seems like the answer, and mine's in the mail right now :)

B

OS2 was the big upgrade with the additional oscillators. Everything else is nice, but doesn't change the character of the TI as much IMO. These newer updates perhaps aren't worthy of a 3.0 and 4.0 release number. Most of them had to do with computer compatibility, and not much with the synth itself (if you just are running midi cables to it). So in that case I would consider them support updates. And its sad that so much of the forum is about computer problems, because the TI is a lot of hands-on fun with midi. I mean you bought hardware, why not use it as hardware? Yes, I got of topic there because OS4 has some new synth features. I just see people obsessing over version numbers instead of turning the knobs :)

OS4 will be great, but I remember the real excitement with OS 2...

Regards,
    B

I don't think anyone demanded anything, we're jsut curious when we get some new features to play with :thumbup:

I'm joking of course, greed is good. Anyone who has a few hardware synths knows that.

Fortunately I've stuck with midi cables with the TI, so every update has brought better things without any compatibility problems. :)

At least 'Q1/2010' is lot more specific than previous Access estimates like 'summer'. Must have been an Access inside joke. Which hemisphere, or indeed which year?

Its ready when its ready and with Access usually takes longer than expected. The Virus TI is a fine sounding synth clearly better than most, so demanding an OS4 is a little greedy :rolleyes:

Is there a SysEx command for changing Multis in Multi mode?
    I can enable "Multi program change" and send a program change message, but this changes the Multi and the patch on whatever part happens to use the Global MIDI channel. Of course I can use MIDI channel 16 as the global - I never use all 16 parts anyway - but it's still a workaround; sysex would be The Right Way to do it ;)

The right way might be a sysex dump of the multi. If you can work within the first 16 multi which save their own patches, you could always dump the entire multi to the TI before playing the set. And always have those settings stored in the song. Try Store then select Dump Arrangement.

Quite right gjvti, USB is ideal for intermittent traffic which is not time critical - mice, keyboards, scanners, usb sticks. Audio streaming is within the bandwidth of USB but its not guaranteed to get there on time. This is obviously not straight forward enough to have glitch free operation in VC with audio streams, even after 3 versions and many many fixes. Insisting on a USB root of its own is a workaround for the limitation of USB, not the solution.

IMO VC is now very very good, but the way it operates can be fragile. DAWs in general can be fragile. Neither can replace the robustness of hardware sequencing and din-plug midi. I hope that soon the exciting exploration into what is possible with DAW gets matched with reliability and dependability.

Cheers,

B

Well put, AtonyB. I do indeed think that no one needs more than 2Gb and I have no right to impose that on others. My music goals will be different to yours. I can't get better drum sounds (for my purpose) then the MPC2500. Don't know why I bothered with the 128Mb expansion because for any one song, I can have my sounds in 5mb. Also, I can't get better synth sounds than a Voyager and TI. I have no use for very good orchestral samples though.

I'm saying that focusing on a temporary technology brick wall, like the 64-bit migration path, is separate from making music. I suspect that this has all become a distraction from the real reason you have the computer. Be careful of that trap, because having that extra ram will not be noticeable to your audience. Do they care that you had to freeze tracks or layer tracks because you didn't have the resources?

I am wary of the hype with new technology. I've seen it come and go enough times. Take from technology that which works for you. Don't spend time on anything which doesn't improve your music. Which in this case means 64-bit OS if your chosen instruments don't work with it right now.

Cheers,

B

There's no need to put other people down, monomeester. I am an IT professional and coming from system administration on DEC mainframes back in the '80s, running things in small amounts of ram and without bloated slow applications is kinda important to me. I question why you *need* a sample library which can't sit within 3Gb of ram. Just because you can fill gigs with stuff doesn't mean it is a good idea. And my other point is why you would want to jump on to the bleeding edge of the mess that is Microsoft's migration path.

You are certainly free to want to run 64-bit, but I question your sanity in demanding to use it :) I want to make music, and the level of technology shouldn't be important to the end result.

B

Ah, I see now. And I guess the EastWest sample libraries cost more than a new computer :)

Logic is nice, but not 64-bit yet even if Snow Leopard is. While I think that the Mac move to 64bit will be easier than Windows, they both have many hurdles to go yet. While waiting for a few drivers to work with 10.6, I'm having fun with hardware and midi. its good to be out of fashion...

B

In a nutshell, more RAM. (Which you know is essential for music production)

It doesn't matter now. I have 64-bit. I'm not going to downgrade and... dual boot is just more trouble...

OK I'm not trying to sound annoying here, what can't you do in 3Gb ram? In using 2Gb Ram, my CPU bottlenecks before anything else. What needs so much ram?

B

Can someone tell me why you must use 64-bit Windows?

I manage networks of Windows XP 32 bit all day, a quite successful business in fact although I use a macbook for music. I know technically what 64-bit is about, but why is it essential for you to use 64-bit?

Regards,

B

Marc, can I comment that you have a rather complicated way of setting up multiple midi channels in the tutorial song? Those copies of the software instrument also falsely give you the impression that you can change each channel's volume and panning and insert fx independently. All you need is one software instrument with the Virus Control plugin and connect a multi-instrument object to it for the 16 midi channels. I appreciate you don't want to scare new users with the Environment but it is much simpler.

B

Have you loaded the TI tutorial song to check it works? Download the movies and see how to do it. Also, I had a nunber of problems with 3.0.3 so I suggest you instal 3.0.5 even though it is a beta. If you are new to Logic it can be VERY confusing with Virus Control.

Cheers,

B