Beiträge von flabberbob

lordclemi: If the input you used on the mixer is not multifunctional (i.e. it only works at line level) I have very little reason to believe that the problem is the interaction between the Virus and the mixer. From what I understand from your post the first thing I'd check would be the Virus power supply (internal if it's a keyboard model).
    Hope this helps.

Except for the pitch bend which is MSB+LSB by definition, the Virus sends (and receives) 7-bit values for all of its CC and sysEx messages. Internally it makes up for this low resolution in two ways: (1) you can select how to avoid the zipper noise (staircase effect) from several smoothing algorithms (2) you can define finer controls using the modulation matrix. Regarding controlling other devices, you can't squeeze more than 7 bits out of one Virus knob.
    Hope this helps.

What was the analog audio path like in all cases? Virus->monitors / Virus->soundcard->monitors / etc.
    Try this: take the plugin's return audio track and add an EQ at the end of its FX chain, with multiple hi-passes and lo-passes (say 3 of each). Start with all hi-passes at 20Hz and all low-passes at 20kHz, and slowly nudge them towards each other, while you are testing the Virus sound. Does it recreate the same perception of the sound?

(I guess you are controlling Reason with cuBase over rewire) If you intend to use it live on stage, I'd recommend using it as an external MIDI device (over MIDI cable or USB) and not through VC. While you might get it working perfectly, there is still a chance that VC might hiccup here and there which does not sound so cool on stage where you have only one chance to make a good impression. To make up for VC's total recall you can either preload the patches (and multis) to the unit's ROM/RAM and send patch/bank messages from the DAW, or save the patches as sysEx at first few bars of your project, so that they are retransmitted from your DAW.
    Hope this helps.

I think it's best to start a new thread for this as this is not the same as the OP.
    In any case, usually small gaps (that are not quantized) in the notes that make the arp can cause it to restart, also loops between markers that are not exactly on bar markers can throw the arp off.
    Hope this helps.

The first sound (bass) is a square oscillator through a closing lowpass filter.
    The second sound (lead) is indeed a saw, similar to the init patch but the second oscillator is not there to detune it.
    What's common to both sounds is that they are fifths. You can create fifths by either playing power chords on the keyboard, or by making osc2 be identical to osc1, only +7 semitones.
    Hope this helps.

No need to second guess my intentions ;) I'm here to help.
    The Virus arp is relative to the first note-on, not bar/beat grid. If your first note-on for the arp is on an off beat, the arp will stay shifted in time. My suggestion was regarding the arp only. I still don't know what is the problem you are facing.

Off the top of my head, 24 bits per sample × 48kHz × (6 outs + 2 ins) = 9.216 Mbps
    Add Midi/automation stream and it still keeps it well under 10Mbps, while USB1.1 high speed maxes out on paper at 12Mbps. Problem is, USB is jittery and does not stream at a constant pace. Hence you need a buffer and a dedicated hub that goes straight into PCI.
    Please correct if I got it wrong.

tonstudio96, My guess is that going through another analog stage makes the sound lose the far edges of the frequency spectrum, in a way that no de-esser or aural exciter can bring back. So no matter how you try to kill it with modern production tools it stays focused, warm and nasal.

No need to get all worked up, Harha ;) , this too is a good way to learn.
    I would just like to add regarding making the lead morph into and out of a pluck. You can do this with even just one filter in lowpass. Increase the env amout of the filter in positive mode using the filter envelope shape of the init patch (zero attack and sustain, short decay). Now when the cutoff knob of the filter is at 0, it's a pluck. As you increase it, it is more and more a hoover sound.
    Hope this helps.

I know people have been complaining about problems with VC, but when you dig deep into the complaints it's not always the same thing even when called by the same name, for example, "pitch problem" could be having a 44kHz audio stream playing as 48kHz (or vice versa) which was a real bug that was fixed in previous TIOS-s, or it could be pitch rises and falls that are caused by the delay effect when the MIDI time signature is changed and the delay momentarily speeds up or slows down to catch up (think tape delay).
    What I'm trying to say is if you describe your problems in detail (preferably in a new thread) it may be possible to find a solution within your current setup.
    Hope this helps.

Well, You can choose between having 2 or 3 stereo outputs in the VC plugin. Depending on your version of logic there should be an option to extend auxiliary outputs out of the main VC track. Each auxiliary track can have its own FX chain. In the common page of VC, you can choose which patch goes to which output, and on top of that you can treat each stereo pair as two separate mono outs and gain a few more outs for non-stereo patches.
    Nevertheless, I ALWAYS bounce. I know it's common practice to leave all the plugins running to the very end, but I do it the old fashioned way: compose -> arrange -> record -> mix -> master.
    Hope this helps.