Beiträge von eugenebalt

So I did everything like you said, I got my MIDI Breakout cable from M-Audio and hooked it up to the RCA cable which goes into the Virus' SPDIF jacks.

However, something's wrong: there's no sound when I switch the Virus' patch in the Common tab to Out1 L+R (see below). Nothing is playing.

1) MIDI end successfully connected to my M-Audio soundcard:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i48.tinypic.com/dxz3wl.jpg]

2) The RCA's I/O go into the RCA cable. Red=O, White=I. (Yellow is not used)

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i45.tinypic.com/2qxtksy.jpg]

3) The RCA connects to the Virus' SPDIF I/O:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i47.tinypic.com/1564wep.jpg]

4) On the Virus plugin screen, for Patch # 1, changed from USB to Out1 L+R:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i49.tinypic.com/2lk37dw.jpg]

No sound.

I also tried going into my project preferences changing FL's settings to use "S/PDIF M-Audio Delta Audiophile" as my global Input/Output, still no sound.

EDIT: I also tried hooking up the Virus S/PDIF-O to Breakout RCA-I, just one-half of the double RCA cable used (White). There is just one cable, White, and it goes from S/PDIF-O on the Virus into the S/PDIF-I on the breakout cable. But that didn't work either, still no sound on Out1 L+R. (The red half is unused.)

I've had a chance to browse the presets that came with my TI Polar. They're all right, but a little on the muddy side, there's no sizzling-warm character to them (in contrast to, for example, Nexus, whose sounds are pre-processed to have that professional, mastered quality out of the box). Any tips on how to make the TI's sound come alive?

Also, are there any "quick tips" on how to fatten up/widen/intensify any given sound in the TI? My first instinct was to try Chorus and Detune but, surprisingly, they don't really "expand" the sound that much.

My main motivation for buying the Virus was to tap into what was advertised as majestic, powerful, rich, sizzling sounds. So far, the sounds I hear from browsing the library are exactly the same "garden-variety" mediocre sounds as on a softsynth e.g. z3ta or Sylenth. Admittedly, I am sampling parts individually. When people praise the Virus, do they mean they achieve that power by combining different parts? Well, I can do exactly the same with multiple softsynths. I guess I haven't yet heard the breadth and power that people are talking about, am I missing something?

Usually, I can assign any instrument/track to an FX channel, including an individual VST track. (I work in FL Studio.)

But with the Virus, I'm using MIDI Out tracks which don't have an FX Channel link, for some reason. Is there a way to specify which FX Channel to link the MIDI Out sound to? Let's say I want to put my own custom Delay or Distortion effect on that sound.

I selected an arpeggio (Up, "User 3" preset) for a lead chord, and the arpeggio is totally inconsistent, it changes positions in random places and sometimes can't quite make it in time, it can't hold its pattern for any duration of time. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks

Edit: This also happens when I draw the arp notes manually myself in my Piano Roll -- when I have a lot of notes, regularly arranged as in an arp (but the "Arp" mode is itself OFF in the TI), that also gets "hiccups" every few seconds.

I am still examining the option of using S/PDIF to get rid of all delay-compensation troubles once and for all, as was suggested -- is that indeed the way to go for this problem?

Flabberbob, you are the man! :) :)

That's right, there was an automation track on the BPM. Why did they even add it like to the example project? Weird.

Anyway, I deleted it, all good now -- the BPM is saved and restored. Thank you so much!!

Thanks a lot Flabberbob :thumbup:

Indeed, in the Control Panel I had to set as Default my regular Line-1/2. This way, both the Virus TI in FL and all other programs now have sound. I don't need to reboot anymore. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would really appreciate your input on the BPM topic just below this one -- I posted some more info and screenshots, unfortunately the Virus Tutorial Project still isn't syncing to the user-defined DAW BPM... I posted some additional notes/screenshots in that topic. Thanks again!!!

Hi Flabberbob, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, things are still not running smoothly.

I followed your advice and went to 'MIDI Settings' and ensured that 'Send Master Sync' is ON for both "Delta AP MIDI" and both of the "Virus MIDI"s, see the screenshot below. Note that the checkbox is checked at the top.

Port # 3 is the port number chosen for the Virus TI channel in the Tutorial FL project. (All MIDI Out's in the example connect to this port.)

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i47.tinypic.com/34y7i0w.jpg]

Here's exactly what happens:

1) The project opens with a BPM of 135.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i48.tinypic.com/xc82z6.jpg]

2) As the example is playing back, I increase the BPM to 150, and the tutorial's sounds all increase accordingly, as they should (BTW, note the green box on the left: it indicates that the MIDI Sync is ON). The BPM correctly shows 150.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i45.tinypic.com/2a5kv2p.jpg]

3) Then, I press STOP.

4) I start my playback again, and the BPM reverts to 135.

Just where is this initial setting of 135 coming from? Certainly not from my DAW. Why isn't it being saved? In the project, I force all my channels to follow 150.

Thank you in advance.

In the Tutorial project for FL Studio, the Virus TI channel automatically reverts to 135 BPM when I play it even though I force the BPM to be 150 in FL. My entry is saved and then as soon as I start playing the TI it's back to 135.

How do I force the Virus to use my DAW's BPM?

I'm a novice with the knobs, I looked under Config and there are only two screens for MIDI, the setting is set to "Auto" rather than "Internal".

I opened the Tutorial.FLP in FL Studio and everything is aligned, no latency, but there is static / clicking on playback.

This is what it sounds like: I captured the playback from Access's project in this file.

http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/4625636/file.html
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/6fynly

If you listen carefully, you'll hear little "pops" every now and then, seemingly random, the sound is a bit dirty and has static.

Does anyone have any tips?

FYI, my soundcard setting is: M-Audio Delta ASIO, 512.

If I increase the ASIO buffer size any further, the system immediately crashes (blue screen of death, followed by a reboot). So I can't increase past 512. But this M-Audio ASIO-512 setting is the lesser of all evils. Any other setting, such as Line-1/2 Output with varying buffer sizes (128-8192) is even worse, you can't even hear any sound at all, it's all distorted.

I'm really frustrated and would appreciate any help :( If even Virus's own project won't work, then what will?

I'm using FL 10. thanks

I'm learning my new Virus TI and opened "Tutorial.FLP" which came with it (for FL Studio).

The project works, but now I want to modify the 7 initial Virus instruments there, and I want to turn them off and add my own. But when in the Virus Plug-in I right-click on a "part" and want to clear it, the menu item "Remove From Automation Set" is disabled. Why is that? I want to clear as many used parts as I want in that example, and then add my own.

Another question is this: When the Virus TI runs in my DAW, there is absolutely no sound in all other programs (for example if I play something in my browser [IE], or WinAmp, or YouTube, etc.). In fact, when I exit FL Studio, there is still no sound anywhere in any of my apps. My soundcard setting is "M-Audio Delta ASIO". What's going on here? I found that the only way to bring the sound back is to reboot the machine.

Thanks a lot!

I hooked up the TI Polar, and even at maximum volume (moved all the sliders to the right), the sound isn't too loud in my DAW (FL Studio), it's pretty soft.

Does anyone have an idea why that is? Thanks

I just bought a Virus TI, hooked it up to my FL Studio, and here's my latency question:

When I make my buffer size 512, the latency goes away, BUT I can't use it because there is terrible noise/distortion no matter what sample I play. Conversely, when I move my buffer size to the Max (8192), which is my normal setting, all the sounds are good and clean, but the latency is around 500 ms.

I checked in Ableton and it's the same thing. At lower buffer sizes, the latency goes away but the distortion is awful. At higher buffer sizes, the latency is there but the sound is clean.

I just want to get a normal clean sound with no distortions, and no audible latency, similar to how I use my other VSTs...