Beiträge von skittb123

Depends on how you're planning to use your Virus TI. If you're doing it so you can keep using the plugin with Catalina, don't do it.

First: Catalina is the last OS to actually run the plugin. (The plugin does not work on Big Sur and on)

Second: Even though the plugin will open in Catalina, and you can indeed use the analog output ports, the midi latency varies every couple seconds, so it's way to unpredictable to use in any DAW. Even when exporting the Midi timing varies every couple bars so you have to slice and move your bounces all the time.

However, If you're planning on using your Virus TI as an actual Midi instrument from now on, I'd say: go for it!

There are some pretty good midi editors for the Virus available so it's not the end of the world to stop using the the plugin completely. Yes, the transition will be difficult, and the fact that you can't open your old projects hurts the most... but in the end this is the best way to prepare for the future..

another option is to switch to windows 10.

Since MacOS Big Sur Came out I decided to go cold turkey on the Virus TI plugin. Tried a couple midi editors available and eventually settled on the one I bought ages ago: The Virus HC by Mystery-Islands.

Now to be absolutely honest: it's not perfect. Saving patches does not really work well and you can't tweak knobs while playing midi at time same time because it causes midi hiccup, but to be honest all I really need is that my sounds load automatically when opening songs, and somehow it does. (like 90% of the time)

I'm now one week in, and I already have three songs midway-finished, so my productivity is back to normal.

My tip for all of you Virus TI users: stop waiting for Access to release their updated plugin. It just won't happen. It's either time to let go of the Virus TI completely, or as we say in dutch: ''roeien met de riemen die je hebt'' / ''row with the paddels you got'' and use the Virus as a midi instrument as it's still a great sounding synth.

As for opening my old songs (I've been using the Virus TI since 2013 in my productions) , I still have a working MacOS Mojave partition on an older Mac, and I'll need to schedule in a couple days, or (probably) even a week, to export the those old Virus TI stems into audio, just so I can reopen them on my Macs from now on.

I have been looking into hacking the drivers a bit, but problem is the solution would be that we have to disable system integration protection.

I've looked into this myself too and it is indeed true that the ''348SCJ68PR - de.access-music.virus_ti.driver.audio:'' driver is not signed and you can bypass this by disabling system integration.

When doing so I've actually gotten to the point that Logic Pro X recognizes the Virus TI plugin during validation (!), but when validating it crashes immediately giving a long error report. The error report mostly gives a long list of MacOS framework files the plugin cannot find since they're not at the same place they're referenced at.. Not sure if those framework files are stored somewhere else in MacOS 11, or they're simply not there at all anymore..

Sometimes if I am only using my Virus IT 61 I select it as audio interface in Ableton and then connect the Outputs of the Virus to it's own inputs, with that I can use it incl. Midi and it works quite well.

I'm surprised you got that to work since Apple discontinued support for HAL plugins in Catalina.

But the method you're describing is the same principle as just using a normal audio interface for the analog outs though. Nothing new.

This does not fix the midi timing problem. This is a problem with the VirusVC plugin. When using the plugin, your host can't send midi directly to the virus. Only through the plugin.

A follow up to my post above. I bought Navira!

It's brilliant, no really, it's exceptionally good, maybe a little bright at times but nothing that the built in eq didn't sort out. And yes, it really can emulate the Virus hyper saw and filters, yeah I know what you're thinking, but it's true! I know for a fact because I've just spent £124 so you lot didn't have to :)

If Access don't provide the Mac community with updated drivers by around Christmas then my days with my old faithful Virus Ti2 DarkStar are over. I'll just sell it.

Fair enough. I would still keep my Virus TI2 no matter what because a lot of my projects contain the Virus TI. You never know when you might need those for remixes etc. I Invested in a Presonus Quantum2626 interface so I can at least still open those Virus parts. (minus the timing problem.) Besides, I don't think selling my TI2 will yield much anyway.. Might as well keep it.

What's your intent? What do you want to acheive with that action? Put Access out of business? The only thing they are required to do is to change the text on their website. Would that make you guys happy?

Me not. I want proper TI integration on future Mac OS versions.

Clearly access can't or be bothered to deliver a working driver themselves so maybe a judge can force them to make the code open-source.

Also, simply removing text on the website does not erase that fact that they are still obliged by EU law to offer warranty and keep their marketing promises. If they can't keep those promises of having a working products on both Mac and Windows they should somehow compensate Mac users. Especially the ones still within 3 year warranty! (I am not one of those btw, but I still think that would be fair.)

This falls under EU customer protection law. We could start a class action lawsuit against Access Virus GmbH or/and Kemper GmbH. I am thinking of contact a lawyer and see what the option are, main reasons are: no communication and still false advertisement.

Been thinking about this as well. Not sure if it's worth it though. We'll at least need a pool of people to finance the lawyer costs etc..

You are aware that it works just fine with Windows?

That's beside the point. The fact the Virus is still being marketed as being compatible with Windows AND Mac, is misleading. All new Macs today are shipped with Catalina and cannot downgrade. How in earth should the average customer know it may not even work with their Mac? Heck, they even use the term ''lifetime free upgrades'', which we've seen is simply not true. You could argue that this actually falls under deception towards the consumer.

Are there any plans for making this an AU3 or VST plugin? Would be awesome if we could use this inside Cubasis and other iPadOS DAWs.