Beiträge von ozon

Suggestions:

• some patience when working with your Virus (it often requires some pre-roll to "get into the groove", doesn't like loops and needs a couple of seconds of rest after jumping in the time line -- at least in Cubase)
    • only use VC to design and manage sounds (e.g. in MainStage) and use standard MIDI without the VC plugin in Logic
    • try a couple of other hardware synths, and find out how tedious it is working without total integration

It means the the oscillators have an offset of pitch equal to the last note that was played. If you then start the sequence again, the next note starts from that offset. It has nothing to do with the transpose buttons. And although somehow annoying, it's actually not a bug and makes sense if you think about it: The ARP does not actually play MIDI notes (like a sequencer does) but changes the transpose value of the oscialltors or the whole patch. Therefore, if you stop the ARP at a transposition value of e.g. a fifth (+7), and then switch of the ARP, the oscialltors or the patch are still transposed at +7.

That said, a real step sequencer and some of the ARP capabilities found in Blofeld would make the Virus even more useful as the center piece of a whole setup.

In principle yes. You have to set the Juno to "Local Off" (or however that's called there) so that the keyboard does not trigger the synth anymore but only sends notes out via MIDI.

Juno MIDI Out --> Virus MIDI In --> ARP
    Virus MIDI Out --> Juno MIDI In

Make sure that the Juno does not copy the MIDI In to the Out or you get a data loop!

(BTW, I don't have a Sub37 and the Virus is a desktop.)

Oh sorry, then I confused you with another forumite!

So you have:
    Controller Keyboard --> Virus ARP --> Juno

- Make sure you can play the Juno that way regardless of ARP
    - Make sure the Virus ARP is actually doing what you expect be checking the sound out from the Virus
    - Make sure the Virus ARP actually sends out notes (does the Juno have a MIDI activity LED?)

Currently don't have the capability to replicate your setup. Sorry!

I do notice that using the TI as a clock source makes it kind of laggy when turning knobs or changing presets.

Really? How are the Common > Smooth Mode settings on the patch you tested it with?

BTW, using the Virus as your clock source also limits the available tempo to 63-190 BPM. Therefore I'd use the sound module or synth with the best input capabilities and most stable clock as clock source. And depends highly on your use...

AFAIK, USB hubs do not introduce latency by themselves, but rather by limiting the available bandwith.

I'd recommend to get a top quality USB 3 hub which does proper switching and plug the Virus and the Saffire there. Unfortunately it's difficult to find good USB hubs, and they are generally rather expensive because you have to go for professional business/industry components not home/consumer devices. I got an Exsys EX-1188HMS hub which has the GL3520 USB 3.1 Gen 1 MTT Hub Controller. Works perfectly for me.

Is this possible in stand-alone mode?

Unfortunately the Arpeggiator user pattern can only be programmed from within the Virus Control VST/AU. Maybe it could be done with MIDI Controller or SysEx messages from some kind of controller hardware (e.g. Behringer), but I have no real knowledge about that. I'm using the Virus TI from within Cubase most of the time so that isn't an issue.

That depends. I couldn't program what they do in an entire year, so it's worth buying their patches for me! :)

Indeed. I initially thought they are overpriced as well, and was very hesitant to buy my first set. More or less because my experience with sound sets (for e.g. Massive) was that many sounds are not very well done and I rarely find more than a hand full of sounds I really can use in a whole set. But UXS have great preview demos, and after listening to them a couple of times, I finally decided to throw some cash at them. And kept doing that, because I find about 30 - 50% of the sounds to satisfy my needs or give me great starting point and material to learn how to acheive certain things on the Virus. And good sounds spark new ideas for riffs or lines. To, that's money well spend.

The only downside on many of the big sounding patches is that they use a lot of CPU power.

How do you get the arp to play pre-programed sequences? Are you referring to a recent thread about using the transpose parameter somehow to do that?

Yes. Like explained in this video:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

What about sequence? Does this mean you can use the ARP and record a pattern, press one key and have it play back?

Not exactly like that, but sort of.

Every Part uses the Arp settings from the Patch, so if you have Patches with pre-pgrogrammed sequences (which actually is an abuse of the Arpeggiator), you can actually trigger them by just pressing one key. If the Patches don't have pre-programmed sequences, you can still use the Arp is usual.

I tried exactly that a week ago with a Kick drum on Part 1 (Arp on, set to 1/4), Bass on Part 2 (Arp on, set to 1/8) and a Pad on Part 3 and got totally carried away jamming around. Yeah, sometimes it doesn't take a lot to make me happy. :D

PS: There are some global config settings which have an impact on how the Virus reacts in Multi-Mode, also how the Arpeggiator is applied. If it doesn't work as described above, most probably some of those settings are the culprit.

He means you can map several sounds across your keyboard, if your keyboard has key splitting capabilities by channel.

No need for the external keyboard to have that capability. It's all inside the Virus itself! You can restrict the note ranges for a Part. So you can set your parts as follows:

Part
    MIDI Channel
    Key Range
    Part 1 (Bass) 1 C1 - B1
    Part 2 (Pad) 1 C2 - B2
    Part 3 (Lead) 1 C3 - B3

all within the Virus' Multi Edit and be able to play bass, pad, and leads from different octaves of your external (or internal) keyboard.