Beiträge von UniqueVirus

So I was wondering as I plan a retro track, what was present in the Virus A/B back when it was released ? I have a Snow
    and whilst I will add what sounds good I wanted to at least have an idea and what was and was not present in the A and B
    Virii. This should be a lot of fun, thanks

Just to add.. I had a delay that was going a bit AWOL today (seemingly changing its designated timing) and so what I did was to change the delay timings to something else, switch it back to my chosen delay and it seemed to refresh whatever was
    going screwy and sorted it. Sometimes just switching to an alt setting and then back again clears some bottleneck or memory issue. along with the obligatory start/stop/give it a couple of bars run up.

Hardly scientific, but just switching things sometimes helps TI get back on track.

I am very doubtful this has anything to to with it, but I will throw it in there in case from your hub to your Virus you have some 3M USB lead going to it or some such - I read a very short USB2.0 lead is good, so I have one of these. £1.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3106…geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cost peanuts and I don't get any sync issues. Going straight onto Motherboard (PC)

(I do get a blue screen but never since making my Snow first synth in the Cubase project)

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Just an idea... how about a short MIDI part in advance of the section you want to bounce out... to sync it up ready for the part you do want.. it might jog it into sync before the section you need. Also I always let my Virus power up/boot and flash its LFO LED at me before I boot my computer, just feels right for some reason. And then when my sequencer has loaded the project I was 20 seconds before I start anything.

Every system seems different.. how about adjusting latency settings, any improvement ?

Make your Virus tracks the first in the project ?

Also.. how about getting your arrangement and doubling (copy and paste it up your DAW time line) after the end section that is screwing up in the hope that a run on somehow keeps the section you want going ok. Then edit the bounced .wav/aiff.

I think sometimes to trouble shoot a problem you have to think out the box to get a solution... far from ideal but get you through this song and them you can investigate/sort out the problem more permanently once complete.

Just keep trying things out but don't keep bouncing again and again without changing something that would definitely drive one nuts.

Being so peed off with it can sometimes cloud your trouble shooting process.. good luck !

Well after a search on this and a check against a softsynth tuning in a basic 2 track project (Virus Vs Massive init settings) it turned out to be the old sample rate chestnut. So for the benefit of others who may experience this quirk in the future.....

I switched my sound card and Cubase to 48kHz and back to 44.1kHz and it seemed to resolve the tuning problems. At least for that project.

I will have to see what happens in existing and subsequent projects. (lucky I bounced my existing Virus parts to audio and they were more effects and non melodic/arp parts so they were ok in the track before I noticed the tuning problem.. strange but true.)

A few hoops to jump through with this box.

But the sound is sweet.. the sound is worth persevering for.

Ever since I have had the Virus Snow since just before Christmas it has been 2 semi tones flat.

Does anyone know where I can look to adjust this permanently to be correct ?

When I have been listening to presets they are always out of tune
    by 2 ST's. Would someone be as kind as to guide me as to the probable
    reason ?

I usually turn the oscillators up 2 semitones but every preset loaded rests them making it a very slow
    and uninspiring process.

In the common page in Virus GUI (virus control) it is at -12 on the transpose. (Which I also through
    rather odd as a default setting)

Yes thanks someone gave me the nod towards the matrix for the F-shift. Much obliged guys.

I am getting on with it but it is hard work compared with VSTi soft synths, there is much more to get your head round.
    My automation for the Virus is not following MIDI parts when copied/moved. I guess because the data don't move with MIDI parts on the automation sub track which is 4-5 tracks away often hidden. Rather un-intuitive and messy workflow.

But... oh the sound, the sound !

I have yet to decide on a workflow that I can get used to for more reliable results. I might have to turn into
    bouncing it down to audio guy.

Virus always loads up fine in a new from scratch project. However if I try and add a Virus to a project that has previously existed
    it sometimes causes a blue screen when it tries to load, about 5 seconds into the load process.

Cubase 8.0.xx 32 bit on Windows 64 bit.

I load the Virus as an instrument track, Or I have also tried changing an existing instrument track with a VSTi in such as
    Massive and the same thing happens. Other than this the Virus has been behaving fairly well. No crackles or sync problems.

Maybe I just have to start every new project with a template or load up the Virus first as a work around? But it does concern me that there is some other instability creeping in that might blue screen me upon a project load etc at a later stage.

I found this:

http://www.virus.info/forum/in…gin-in-Cubase-6-projects/

I very much doubt it is "bad memory" as I have had 3.5GB projects running and these are tiny 1.3GB.

It seems to exhibit this behaviour sometimes and not others. None of which are complex projects just 4-6 tracks of VSTi's.

Trying to iron this problems before I start a serious track. I guess I can try and load Virus up first on every project and keep them as the first instrument as that thread suggested for now.

?(

This info really helped, so thanks very much. My arp goes out of time every now and then (less often with a very short USB lead) but ultimately I can live with that it corrects itself now, after a start stop. I am using a 0.5M USB2.0 lead and I think this does indeed help. Have not heard any crackles since day 1 now.

With regards to the workflow I have the 3 outputs working, hats off for that tip in the inspector ! (essential to not go crazy when mixing and tweaking) I will still have remember the 2 sounds coming down 1 USB output though (only 4 parts). Also the automation appearing away from the MIDI tracks under a sub/sub track on the main instrument track is a little confusing but as long as I can remember that. I don't think I can be a bouncing it out to audio kind of guy unless I really need more virus in my tracks. I just tweak too much as I go.

I think today soft synths sound good, integration is obviously bang on in a DAW and easy and most importantly helps creativity flow. We have come to have high expectations in 2017 in this regard. The Virus is a unique and good sounding synth, nothing really sound like it yet. It has some synthesis types that simply do not exist in VSTi land and I suspect why it still holds ground despite the perceived inconveniences.

My snow seems to be playing ball now so I am pleased but can also imagine how frustrating the sync and USB issues must have been as it is a bit of a faff compared with a VSTi that integrates to perfection.

Only 1 real disappointment so far.. I found I could not automate F-Shift and F-Spread on the Formant complex oscillators. :( Is this correct ? I just enabled the track and Virus GUI "W" write button but nothing got written.

Thanks again I will take a look, in one tab of VC it seemed like I could select only 1 of the 3 outputs.
    Very new to the Virus so it is a bit info overload at this time. I am a one track/tune at a time kind of guy.

In order to: "activate the other 2 outputs for the Virus in Cubase"

Is this in VST connections ? At this time I am using an old PC - PCI sound card as my main mix monitoring output.

Thanks for the response I will print that and try and set it up that way. I became rather confused at the existing routing plan. I will look into activating the other 2 outputs. Although I think USB3 is greyed out if I recall correctly. (A Snow thing maybe?)

Cubase 9 is better for using VC ? Or just usual upgrade new features elsewhere. I don't seem to want for much in Cubase 8

Installed Snow and Virus Control here using Cubase 8 and other soft synths. I create a new instrument channel and insert Access Virus. Part 1 of the Virus control GUI relates to this track. Opening another Access Virus instrument opens the GUI twice but that GUI says all Virus resources used. (So I close it down and delete the track)

I then create 3 subsequent MIDI tracks which seem to default to parts 2, 3 and 4 of the Virus Control GUI slots. (as per selecting presets and playing them on respective MIDI channels in Cubase)

The arp does go out of time fairly frequently and locks up to "sync" when tempo locked at some stage later, normal/acceptable for most users ?

I use the Green button on the virus control GUI to Mute and Solo each of the 4 parts available ? (Mute and solo's seem rather unpredictable in Cubase as they seem to mute other parts playing etc.)

Mixing the 4 parts with the Virus control volumes is a bit annoying (as channels/faders in Cubase behave oddly, with both the Instrument channel fader and 3 MIDI faders pulling down the volume of all sounds playing. (Seemingly not individually controllable using Cubase faders) Like it pulls down everything routed to USB 1... if I route to Output 1+2 or USB 2 I hear silence.

Is there anything here that is not expected behavior ?

Thanks for you time and responses.