Beiträge von Marc

we've tried that. but there were to many dimensions involved. as for dimensions i mean parameters. for instance, polyphony but also aspects like a sound doesn't necessary consume the same amount of DSP power over the lifetime of one voice. we're totally happy to present something better, once we find a way. and that's just me being really honest here.

best, marc

it's really about reading the fine print. side chaining for virtual instruments versus side chain inputs for insert effects. it took us some valuable time to figure that one as well. we were excited about having side chain on board only to find out that it is a can of worms in most hosts. the unfortunate truth is that there is barely a host with has a 100% working implementation.

best, marc

cubase doesn't support instrument side chaining, independently of VST3 or not. there is nothing we can do about that. i believe that the majority of users is still using VST2 which of course lowers the chance that it is entirely bug free. at the same time, we don't get complains in regards of the VST2 vs. VST3 version, so it seems okay of the most of us. one important aspect is that in the transition of 64 bit it is advisable to start working with VST3 plug-ins. only those will survive in the long run and as you might know, cubase doesn't automatically open the VST3 version, in case the VST2 version of a plug-in is not present anymore ...

hth, marc

i understand your point. i will put it on the list but i wouldn't hold my breath, we will not be able to give this a high priority. the main reason why i was answering your mail is that i wanted to clear up a couple of things which i read every now and then on the web.

best, marc

I have a very good understanding on the differences between digital and analog filters. Moreover, I have scientific papers to prove that emulations of x and y analog filters always suffer, to the degree of their respective programmers' capability. Access' attempt regarding the Minimoog filter is to be applauded but I am truly sorry if one thinks that they will dial "minimoog" and they will have it in an instant. Same with Arturia. So instead of trying to mimic what other manufacturers / designers have been doing and living with the idea that it will never be the same, maybe it would be a good idea for Access to implement an analog filter. Who knows, maybe they can come with a cool nice design. Waldorf did it, I don't see why Access can't. So, I am sorry, but analog is definitely not a myth. Hype maybe, expensive maybe, but myth?

we have a great history of inventing our own sound algorithms. the mini moog filter in the virus was modelled after a mini moog but also does a lot which you cannot do with a mini moog or ANY other analogue filter. for example, you can choose in between 1-4 poles (the mini moog has always 4 poles) and even in 1 pole mode, the filter self-oscillates. another thing you cannot do with an analogue filter is to determine the level of the self-oscillation versus the level of the rest.

the virus will never sound identical to the mini moog for a simple reason: different oscillators, different envelopes - pretty much different everything (maybe apart from the filter in 4 pole setting) . we are not out to make replicas. we are out to make fresh things. the mini moog filter was a great starting point but we didn't intend to just copy it.

as for waldorf: if you're referring to the Q+ you might want to look at the costs per voice. actually, the Q+ is a great example for what i wrote earlier on: you really wouldn't like to pay for 80 analogue filter boards in a virus ti. we have no intention to go down this road.

best, marc

there are no plans to implement a custom view for the part bar. in fact i strongly would opt again the idea for two simple reasons.

1) even though i red this statement multiple times, the virus ti is very much capable of playing many parts at the same time. there is tons of people happily using many different parts in the arrangement without trouble.
    2) if you run into a this situation by using resource hungry sounds, nobody should assume that all those parts have to play at the same time. if we limit the amount of parts we limit the freedom of using different sounds in different parts of the arrangement.

the tutorial song is using 9 parts at the moment and many of those are drum sounds which are known to be resource hungry. 8 of the 9 parts are playing the whole time.

best, marc

About one of 20 times. Sometimes I load the project, wait a minute and here we go.

your user details indicate that you're using reaper. reaper is not a supported host. do you have those crashes with supported hosts as well? if so, send an arrangement/project into support and we will happily have a look at it.

best, marc

I had winxp pro sp3 before installing w7 x86. I tried 3.05 on winxp pro. No luck at all. The weird thing, is that my virus crashes even without usb connection after about 1 minute. And it's very often. It was mostly rare moments when I used virus without crashing at all. At some point in session, it always does. Don't get me wrong, that thing sounds amazing, but man that's frustrating!

if your virus crashes out of the blue in standalone using 3.0.5 or 3.1.0 i would recommend you to get in touch with support. in my opinion the hardware is not okay. and yes, that sounds frustrating.

best, marc

there is a very distinct difference in between doesn't open and it takes 5 minutes ;) - you certainly have not the same problem and i'm sure that support can help you to sort it. usually long opening times have to do with broken disk permissions, files in the patches folder which don't belong there and other things. i doubt that it has to do with your autoload song.

best, marc

i'm sorry to hear that but it does open fine on all systems i've tried so far (that includes 2 eight cores from 2008 w/ 10.5.8). try un-installing the software, using the de un-installer here:

applications/access music/virus ti/

then repair permissions and install again.

hth, marc

can you send a song which illustrates that to support? by the way: it is more advisable to go set the reverb to 1 instead of OFF. OFF switches it off and that can result in an artefact whereas 1 is so low that you end up with the same result but no eventual click.

best, marc

the driver has not changed, in fact the changes in between 3.0.5 and 3.1.0 are rather small. so on the one hand rolling back shouldn't give you much disadvantage, on the other hand, i doubt that 3.1.0. is the real problem here.

best, marc