Beiträge von boreg

Yup, release velocity is the speed with which a key is released. Howard Scarr's Virus programming tutorial mentions that on Virus, "Velocity off" is also affected by velocity on. Don't remember the details, and in fact, I've never used this mod source.

As for your second question, I'd go about it in a different way. Invert filter envelope polarity, set attack to zero, sustain to zero and play with decay and release times. When you get that working, maybe route velocity off to filter envelope amount and see what it does.

...i have to set somthing in the global or just to buy the psu6 adaptator for alimentation

huh? :huh:
    now you've lost me, man

If you mean power supply, yes, you probably need one.
    Basically, what you need to do is:

• Connect the controller (Remote SL) to PC with a USB cable
    • Using Novation Remote Editor, send the templates to the controller.
      Read up the documentation on how to do that. If I remember correctly, you have to save each template on the controller after sending
    • Disconnect USB from the controller
    • Connect power supply to the controller (since it no longer gets power from USB)
    • Connect controller's MIDI out to Snow's MIDI in

...and off you go! :thumbup:

Everything seems to be working, it's just that the latency is very high. Reaper shows plugin's latency in a tooltip, this way I know the exact numbers:

LIVE mode off:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ljplus.ru/img4/b/o/boreg/virus-pdc.jpg]
    LIVE mode on:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ljplus.ru/img4/b/o/boreg/virus-pdc-live.jpg]

I tried different buffer sizes for the audio card, but these figures did not change much. At the lowest setting, PDC dropped to about 3800, but LIVE PDC never got below 1024.
    If there's any additional information that may help, I'll be glad to provide it.

Marc, I followed your suggestion and described my situation to support. The answer I got was: the main problem here is simply that Reaper is not a supported host for the Total Integration. I then asked if maybe something in Reaper needs fixing, and the answer was:

Zitat

What we are doing with the total integration is anything but trivial and therefore is only guaranteed to work in supported hosts, since we need to adjust the plugin so it works in every supported hosts.

I was actually hoping that the problem might be in the way Reaper handles VST plugins, since Reaper developers are quite responsive when it concerns fixing bugs. It seems however that it's the plugin that must be adjusted, and nobody's going to do that. Alas ;(

Soundcard is MOTU Ultralite Mk3, with 128 samples buffer. I can try lowering it to 64, but in fact 128 is recommended in Virus documentation.

DAW is Reaper - yeah I know it's not officially supported, but I suppose plugin's latency should not depend on host anyway.

What is your host, and how much latency do you get?

With LIVE mode on, Virus parts playing recorded MIDI are out of sync with the project.
    With LIVE mode off, recorded MIDI is OK, but latency is too high for playing (4096 samples ~ 93 msec).

This is not a problem if you just want to paint some notes on the grid - simply don't use LIVE mode.
    But what do you do if you have recorded something (e.g. a bassline) and want to play a melody along with it?
    Or is it something Virus users never do? :P

Little bugs like that are what I mean...it just ran smoother in Ableton.

Did you have similar issues to mine in Reaper? Is everything smooth in Live?
    In that case, this may be something for Access and Reaper folks to look into.

As far as the Utopia thing It might allow for further advancement as far as new functionality goes. I'm no programmer so obviously I can't site specific examples but you never know until you try.

I'm a programmer, and I think you're wrong here :) For the DAW software, plugin is a black box - the DAW basically provides timing information (clock, beat, sample position) and audio input, and the plugin returns its audio output to the DAW. Plugin developers and DAW developers can improve their software independently, as long as they adhere to some standard (VST in our case). They don't need to work together, unless there are compatibility issues :thumbup:

I'm using VC in Reaper too. Of course would like to see Reaper officially supported, but as long as it works (touch wood! :) , I don't really care.

I'm not trying to complain here as my TI runs great in Reaper but with the proper attention it could be utopia.

Don't quite understand you here. If it runs great, then what is utopia? :)
    Let's ask another question: how many users are experiencing compatibility issues with VC in Reaper?

Now that I think of it, Virus often gets out of sync ("a sync error occurred") if I skip to another time point during playback; pressing Stop clears it, so it's not a big deal. But never used VC in another DAW so don't know if it's a problem with Reaper.

I am actually surprised it hasn't been released yet, it has been about 2 weeks and they stated it seemed to be doing very well with no major bugs present.

They stated it should be out in Q1 2010, so it can be up to 2 months from today.

Zitat

Either stuff did creep up after all in testing, or they are adding in some last minute things.

I don't think so. As a software developer, l know that the distance between "seemed to be doing very well with no major bugs present" and official release can easily be a couple of months. Do you want them to rush it out without proper testing? I certainly don't ;)

Zitat

Either way I constantly hammer the homepage in hopes of an updated message without the word 'shorty' in it.

While I share your (and everybody else's) excitement about the upcoming OS, time will pass faster if you don't live in constant anticipation. Pretend to know nothing about OS4, and when it arrives, it will be a pleasant surprise!

easier said than done, I know :)

... Im just a little surprised... If you want a more direct interaction with the virus, then you have a fully fledged dedicated control surface right there - true the transpose button is all oscillators, but the semitone dial is pretty low res so its not hard to find the octaves...

Well you're right - after trying in vain for 5 minutes to dial the exact semitone amount I gave up :cursing: , grabbed the knob and did it in a couple of seconds. However, for the workflow it is best to do everything in one place, isn't it?

I just have added a poll. Please vote! I'm very looking forward to see it in the OS4 update.

I voted "yes", as currently it's really tedious to dial an exact semitone amount with a mouse.
    BUT it looks like OS4 is currently in beta-testing stage, meaning no new features get added. So don't hold your breath :P

It's not only non-linear effects like distortion, also time-based effects like chorus of phaser:

Chorus --> Reverb is not the same as Reverb --> Chorus
    Phaser --> Delay is not the same as Delay --> Phaser

etc.
    +1 from me, this would be nice.

The right way might be a sysex dump of the multi. If you can work within the first 16 multi which save their own patches, you could always dump the entire multi to the TI before playing the set. And always have those settings stored in the song. Try Store then select Dump Arrangement.

Interesting idea, but alas, won't work for me for several reasons:
    - the SysEx data that I can assign to a pad on my controller is very limited (something like 16 bytes) - definitely not enough to store a complete Multi dump
    - inconvenience: any change I make to the multi, e.g. adjust the volume for one of the parts, I'll have to update the controller assignment
    - if I send a sysex dump, does it replace the current multi, or the one from which it originated? in the latter case, this solves nothing (still have to switch...)
    - I already use way more than 16 multis...

But thanks anyway, LivePsy!

Btw, I got an official reply from Acces: "sorry, but this isn't possible" :(