Ear-splitting audio glitches with multiple ASIO programs

• Here's the setup

1) Kontakt standalone accessing Virus ASIO out @ 48khz
    2) Start up FLStudio, also accessing Virus ASIO out @ 48khz, although I originally started FL in 44100 before and had to change the samplerate to 48000 in the Options dialog (and have it reload the project)

The FL was running specifically for the purposes of tuning a sample that I loaded into Kontakt. When I held down a key on the Virus, things would sound good sometimes, but then I started hearing these really loud audio glitches, and the clip indicator on my EMU box started lighting up.

http://para.bolic.us/clips/vir…_TURNYOURSPEAKERSDOWN.mp3

The piano is from FL, the pad in the background is the patch in Kontakt.

Thought I'd report this in. Would love to not have my ears raped if I decide to share the ASIO device :-p

• I have been dealing with the same problem more or less.

I'm using a brand new VIrus TI 2 Polar (TI OS 4) with Cubase 5.1.1 and a Metric Halo ULN-8 audio interface.
    From time to time and quite often, I hear glitches when using the Virus as VST and also while using it as a hardware synth.
    Also after the glitches, the Virus will not function at all.
    It seems that those really loud glitches can harm my K&H speakers soon and my ears at the same time.

Can any access technicians confirm this and maybe give any advices on how to fix this?
    Is it a software/driver problem or is it that I just bought a defective product?

• I have the same problems. Try mixing down the same synth line a few times for interesting results. You wont get the same audio twice. I get tuning problems, audio glitches, noise on mixdowns, the list is endless....

Sorry I bought the synth, trying to get an exchange for something better. Maybe add money and get a Moog Voyager. I have waited in vain for a software update that might fix my problems. I was dealing with access support but when they couldn't find a solution to my problems they just went quiet.

Any folks thinking of buy a virus, get it checked in the shop first, ask for a demo, otherwise you might regret handing over the guts of 2000 euros. Access say they cant replicate my issues so it must be my system. I even went Mac in the hope that I might have better results but no joy. I have tested it on 2 PC setups, a macbook pro and a quadcore Imac.

• I have the same problems. Try mixing down the same synth line a few times for interesting results. You wont get the same audio twice. I get tuning problems, audio glitches, noise on mixdowns, the list is endless....

Sorry I bought the synth, trying to get an exchange for something better. Maybe add money and get a Moog Voyager. I have waited in vain for a software update that might fix my problems. I was dealing with access support but when they couldn't find a solution to my problems they just went quiet.

Any folks thinking of buy a virus, get it checked in the shop first, ask for a demo, otherwise you might regret handing over the guts of 2000 euros. Access say they cant replicate my issues so it must be my system. I even went Mac in the hope that I might have better results but no joy. I have tested it on 2 PC setups, a macbook pro and a quadcore Imac.

the other posters talk about crashes. but you seem to talk about USB related problems. so could you please open a separate thread?

marc

• check the LFO LEDs and the pulsating logo on the back. after you've heart such a "glitch". if one of the two doesn't pulsate anymore, the virus might have been crashed. if that happens frequently to you, please contact access support and they will refer to a service center.

best, marc

ps. if the LFO LEDs do not pulsate anymore, also switch the program - some have just a "static" LFO setting.

• is this reproducible for you?

best, marc

• What makes you think the are USB issues? I am getting ear splitting audio glitches also as I said in my post. Interesting you think it is a USB problem Marc. I assume with the Virus and not my system as its highly unlikely the problem would be common to all 4 systems I tried.

• What makes you think the are USB issues? I am getting ear splitting audio glitches also as I said in my post. Interesting you think it is a USB problem Marc. I assume with the Virus and not my system as its highly unlikely the problem would be common to all 4 systems I tried.

could you just open your own thread? we are talking about different things here at the same time. you are talking about " I get tuning problems, audio glitches, noise on mixdowns, the list is endless....".

thanks, marc

• Have any of you tried using asio4all.dll as your master ASIO driver? I'm new to the TI but so far virus control is working very stable in cubase 5 with OS 4.02.01

• No, I haven't tried any other ASIO driver though could be an option.

I have sent the synth back to the store so if I get it back still with issues I will open a separate thread. I understand why you want a separate thread Marc but I don't think you under stand that I am also having ear splitting audio glitches. My mix down suggestion was to see if the users experiencing this had noticed tuning issues.

The loud glitches are so bad that many people may not have noticed the tuning yet.

Ciaran

• I understand why you want a separate thread Marc but I don't think you under stand that I am also having ear splitting audio glitches.

what i try to find out here is, if the units are crashing. "ear splitting audio glitches" can mean that the virus hung up and needs a reboot ("Also after the glitches, the Virus will not function at all."). or it cannot deliver audio into the sequencer for example. and, when data cannot be transmitted, this might indicate a USB transfer problem.
    by the way, since you're the only guy replying for the time being, maybe this just becomes your thread :). we have a fair portions of threads here where many people talk about similar things, but not necessarily the same things. answering usually results in other stating that the answer is either wrong or doesn't lead to the desired result. i'm just trying to create more threads where we can deal with your issues in a more transparent way.

best, marc

• Don't know if this relates, but I had my first audio glitch with OS4 last night; I think it was a problem with me, not the Virus though. The glitch is a loud, high pitched continuous tone, and the TI needed to be rebooted to make it stop.

The way it happened for me was I was auditioning new ROM sounds directly on the Virus TI, using Virus Control to select new patches. The loud glitch only happened with some sounds that `held' during auditioning.....for example a patch with arp hold. If I did not turn these sounds off (ie press shift + audition on the TI) before changing to the next patch, the `loud ear-splitting glitch 'occurred.

PS. After the crash, I needed to re-select the correct outs for sound in Virus control before I could hear audio again. Perhaps this is why another user is not gettting sound after reboot?

• Hi Marc,

Thank you. I am using a beta OS so I am not expecting it to work perfectly. I will see how it goes once OS4 is finished.

• I have a very repeatable audio glitch that makes the virus go mental - I will have to fine tune the process of repeating and contact support with it soon... I will have to send them the preset that seems to set it off, too...

Also, OT I know, but it's bugging me.... RAM-A 97 SynEns BC... the delay effect is broken, it's on classic by default and changing the mix amount wont 'activate' it, either on the leds on the front panel or in the number of pages available (it says 1/1) - changing to a different delay type opens it up, but if you go back to classic its still stuck in the same way...