Virus KC Keyboard Local Setting Missing from System Menu

• Hello new friends! I recently got a used KC that was covered in dust and grime and looked like it was not powered on in a very long time. In fact it took 2-3 times of plugging in and swtiching on before power finally woke up the KC. Unfortunately, it did generate any audio to any of the output jacks when I pressed on the keys. However when pressing both the Oscillator Edit and Sync buttons I can hear patch sounds which is promising. There was the "Illegal RAM Low Battery" error message on the LCD so I went into surgery mode and replaced the battery, and also checked all ribbons and connections which appeared solid and intact. I also did not see any obvious signs of damaged/leaking capacitors or other board components. No more error message now but still no audio. I also reinstalled OS 6.5 but that did not solve the problem. Upon powering up the LCD still says Access Virus C, not KC.

Based on my online research this appears to be an issue with the Keyboard Local parameter not being in the System Menu. I reached out to Access Virus support and they graciously and quickly responded:

"This sounds like the unit thinks its a Virus C Desktop. This normally only happens if there is an issue with the cables & connections to the keyboard, or maybe the keyboard controller. We are not aware of a mainboard component normally causing this. The unit will be missing any KEYBOARD menu entries in this case."

So again, I went in to check the cables and connections and for the life of me cannot find anything physically to be an issue. I will pull out the voltmeter tonight to check on continuity of the ribbon cables. However, I came across other posts here on elsewhere (Reddit, Gearslutz, etc) where folks took their Viruss to repair technicians who replaced an unspecified logic board component or had boards replaced as the ultimate solution; some asked the question but never returned to provide any updates. So hopefully this can help anyone who still has this issue now, or for anyone who will encounter in the future. Does anyone know what specific component(s) that would directly cause the keyboard not to be detected? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

• Not regarding the keyboard but the power on taking very long, I would suggest to replace the internal power supply which is actually an external one (as you probably have seen when you replaced the battery) before it gets worse. I found one in an online store for my TI for 20€... did not fit mechanically 100% but works totally fine.

I always thought there were different versions of the firmware for desk module or keyboard but I guess that is not the case. That would have been my first idea... but it's not.

Good luck fixing it, the KC is pretty rare, I always wanted one but never saw one on eBay or Reverb...