Upgraded to latest OS4 and moved TI to my new system. Virus out of snych.

• Hi all,

I moved my virus ti over from my old XP system where it worked fine, using OS 3.03, to my new Win7 x64 machine. In doing so, I figured I'd upgrade to the latest build of the beta OS4, using the 64 bit installer. Virus loads but will not stay in synch with my song's tempo. It just is way out of whack. I notice too the level meters on the TI plugin window under each of the 16 channels, the meters are very sluggish.

One question that comes to mind since I'm using the 32bit version of Cubase but on Win7 x64. Should I be using the 32bit TI installer and not the x64?

I'm wondering can I downgrade to the last non-beta release which I believe is something like 3.3x ? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

• hi viron,

there is no 64 bit version of the 3.3 software release, therefore you cannot use it with windows x64. but i think your sync problem is not necessarily based on a problem that wouldn't exist in the 32 bit world. often it is rather device drivers (think 64 bit drivers for your USB card for instance). i'd investigate in this direction and/or contact access support.

best, marc

• Funny, what about the release OS "Virus TI Installer 3.3.5.02 for Windows 64 bit"...

Isn't that 64bit?... and a 3.3.x version...

I'd always prefer a release OS to a public beta OS when there is trouble - even I do not have all the latest fancy features and effects then.

• Funny, what about the release OS "Virus TI Installer 3.3.5.02 for Windows 64 bit"...

Isn't that 64bit?... and a 3.3.x version...

I'd always prefer a release OS to a public beta OS when there is trouble - even I do not have all the latest fancy features and effects then.

you're totally right. apologies. but the fact remains that one shouldn't use a 32 bit sequencer in a 64 bit OS - even if that wasn't what i wrote in my last statement ;)

viron, you need to check if your version of cubase is supposed to be run in a 64 bit environment. the sluggishness of the interface is a known windows 7 problem, the sync problems are not.

best, marc

• No worries mate, glad to help. 8)
    I personally think one should use the latest release OS for "serious" work which is 3.3.5 IMHO.
    OS4 is still beta, so people should not complain about issues - to find those is exactly why beta software is published...

• Hi Marc,

So after some consideration, I blew away Win7 and went back to 32bit XP. Much happier now however, the Virus Ti is STILL out of sync. I'm still using the latest OS4 beta. The only difference now is on my XP setup before, I was running the public release 3.x Ti OS.

Can I uninstall the OS4 and re-install using the latest public release? I'd like to at least try this to see if the sync problems go away. Thanks!

• Hi Viron,

Have you tried using `ASIO4all.dll' for windows XP sp3? This is the master ASIO driver I use for all my audio applications. Virus control in Cubase 5 has so far been very stable with this driver. I am using OS 4.02.01
    Asio4all.dll is sometimes recommended by audio device manufacturers over their own published asio drivers because of its stability and low latency.

• I have used ASIO4ALL in the past but would only like to use something like this as an extreme last resort. Using the ASIO driver designed by your card's manufacturer, in my case RME, is by far the ASIO driver you want to be using.

Also I should note that it seems to be ARPs in particular that go out of timing. If I srike a note, it plays as expected, on time, but ARPs start and then go wacky. Also I'm plugged into one of the onboard USB ports of the motherboard however I do have a PCI USB card that I had previously used on a different system and had the Ti plugged into it. Using a USB card with a Texas Instrument chipset was recommended when I first got the Virus Ti years ago. I could dig around and find this card I suppose but hope I don't have to.

Thanks for any ideas!

• Hi Viron,

That must be frustrating, since you had it all working before with your old machine. With the new machine, is all the hardware new, including the RME? Are you using exactly the same DAW? Are you using USB keyboard and mouse?

Also, I was wondering how are you using the RME and the TI together? You said you were using the RME driver with your DAW, and the Ti USB also?

To me it does sound like safe bet to try using the PCI USB card before you roll back to OS 3.5. Also, have you double checked your DAW settings again (such as making sure your clock source is set to external ). Also, perhaps unrelated, but is your TI sending master digital sync, or is the RME set to master with your setup?

• Serena,

New machine is all new hardware, including the RME Fireface. Same exact DAW, Cubase 5 32bit. Yes keyboard and mouse are both USB. My wording was poor as I'm not using both the RME and Virus ASIO drivers at the same time. I don't even think that is possible. :)

I will give the PCI USB card a shot just to see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions in the meantime feel free anyone!

-Viron

• Hi Viron,

Asio4all.dll is for using multiple sound devices in your DAW , as a master driver (for example RME driver plus Virus TI drivers). You might configure this way if you use the analog outs of your Virus, and plug them into your RME, which ACCESS say gives lower latency than streaming USB audio into your DAW. Using your RME for output creates almost zero latency.

``While recording, we recommend that you switch the Main Outs
    (Virus Control > Common Page) of the part you are about to
    record to Out 1+2 instead of USB. This way, the audio data
    doesn’t need to travel from the Virus TI into the Virus Control and
    from there to your audio interface; instead, it is sent straight to the Virus’ analog outputs. Once you have finished recording this
    particular track, switch the Main Outs back to USB to allow this
    part to be fully latency-compensated''

• Ok so I rolled back to the latest release 3.4 release and I still have the exact same ARP issues so maybe it is the onboard USB port. I will dig up and find my USB card and give it a shot. Thanks!

• I see Serena I hadn't thought of using the analog outputs. Are there any downsides to using the TI this way and not using the 3 USB outputs? I have always used my TI strictly via USB cable and have never had any issues until moving to this new PC.

Thanks!

• Hello Viron,

I am not sure, but its possible that the downside to using only the analog outputs & RME instead of the TI USB is the loss of sample accuracy, but I do not know this for sure, or really understand the significance. I use the analog outputs because my rig is set up for analog summing with other synths & gear like effects. I do think its extremely cool that the TI offers 3 stereo digital channels via USB though.

• EDIT: Ok I spoke too soon. After putting in the PCI USB card, the Ti seemed to be in sync. It is indeed in sync when I tested it in an empty project. But when I added the Ti into a project I have going on at the moment, all the Arps are again out of sync. What is weird is they seem to be a bit more in sync then the onboard USB ports. I also upgraded back to OS4. Any ideas at all as to why this is happening? This new setup has me using a new soundcard and also my latency is a lot lower than my last setup. Thanks for any help!

• EDIT again I spoke too soon once again sorry. Bottom line is the Ti is still out of sync. Should I contact support at this point?

Also I should have added that rarely the Virus Control gui will say in a red window a message that there has been a sync error and to hit the stop button and play to resync. I've only seen this like 3 times but it seems when it does happen, things do sync up. How can I force this sync to happen? Does this error shed any further light on why I'm having these sync issues?