Two TI2 Presales Questions (Drum Kits + MIDI I/O)

• Hi all! I run Cubase 5.x and I am thinking of getting a TI2 desktop to go with my Motif XS.

1) I know the TI2 is capable of producing drum sounds (kicks, snares, percussion, etc) - but are you able to create a "kit" of sounds and assign it to a single midi channel? i.e. have midi channel 10 play all of your kicks, snares, etc as a complete kit? Or do you have to dedicate an entire MIDI channel to one single drum kit sound? i.e. channel 10 can only play the kick drums?

2) The Motif can appear in Cubase as a VST when hooked up via Firewire. The Firewire gives the Motif multiple channels of MIDI and audio and essentially turns the Motif in to a big sound card. While I would use the analog audio outs of the Virus (to go in to the Motif) I assume in order for the TI2 to appear as a VST in Cubase I would have to hook it up via USB? Is it possible to have Cubase (or ANY DAW for that matter) recognize BOTH the Motif FW MIDI I/O AND the Virus USB MIDI I/O @ the same time?

Thank you for your help!

• Answer to the first question is no. The Virus doesn't have a drum map feature as of now. Answer to the second question would be yes, as long as your USB bus has enough available bandwidth

• If you intend to only use the TI for drums - or mostly - depends how many diff sounds you want - then it is technically possible.

what you would have to do is go into multi mode, select the different sounds in each of the 16 banks (or less if you dont need all) - set the midi channel to 10 on all of them and then set up the key ranges. If you have channels left over you can use these for synth, too.

This is, however, not possible in VST mode - unless your DAW has a function to redirect notes to different midi channels.