virus t.i2 X Logic 9.1.3

• hello all, Im fairly new to this, been doing so reading about these two (logic and the virus) together and the one thing that struck my attention was the latency issues as well as preference in sound quality, my question to you all is which setup if best to get the least amount of latency, but yet, the best sound quality? should I be using my virus via the usb? or via audio cables?

• I think it's better to connect via USB, it takes a bit of trial & error to get it connected in the best port though. It doesn't say in the setup guide but it's worth noting that if you use Time Machine you should make sure that it is turned off when you want to use the Virus or else it could cause you all sorts of problems.

If you follow the TI setup guide you should be fine latency wise once you have selected the best USB port. I find that there is no difference in bounced audio quality between the audio or the USB.

• I think it's better to connect via USB, it takes a bit of trial & error to get it connected in the best port though. It doesn't say in the setup guide but it's worth noting that if you use Time Machine you should make sure that it is turned off when you want to use the Virus or else it could cause you all sorts of problems.

interesting. i'm using time machine and i don't have a problem with logic or virus control. are you using time machine with an USB drive, WLAN or firewire drive?

marc

• I use an USB drive for Time Machine, I had it running the same time as my Virus the other day & my Virus was really struggling to keep up with Logic.

The display was flashing SE every few bars. I think that means it's trying to correct it's timing? There were dropped notes in Arp patterns & also the dreaded crackles returned. Once I stopped Time Machine & disconnected the drive everything worked fine again.

• I use an USB drive for Time Machine, I had it running the same time as my Virus the other day & my Virus was really struggling to keep up with Logic.

The display was flashing SE every few bars. I think that means it's trying to correct it's timing? There were dropped notes in Arp patterns & also the dreaded crackles returned. Once I stopped Time Machine & disconnected the drive everything worked fine again.

you should experiment with other USB ports, looks like the Virus and the drive are on the same (root) hub. your setup is a fairly good example of what some people struggle with: the independency of USB ports. the drive just takes over the bandwidth and the virus suffers from it.

best, marc

• I have tried pretty much every combination of USB port available Marc, I've got all my connections maxxed out with different bits of gear & it's not easy to find a configuration that keeps everything happy & as you say the Virus seems to be the first to suffer.

I can live with the odd crackle every now & then when writing & I've got used to disconnecting non essential things when I want to use the Virus for a Mission Critical part of the process but I just overlooked the Time Machine drive the other day. :wacko:

• ok thanks so just to clarify things the best route in using the virus with logic is usb? so no other connections are needed? except when its time to record the audio correct? in fact i was thinking of not even recording midi just recording audio right away when working on a session, any downfall on that?

Also is there anywhere that have videos for using these 2 together? I'm a visual guy they always help me better, I see very few videos online of anyone using logic and the virus, or maybe i am just looking in all the wrong places?

• ok thanks so just to clarify things the best route in using the virus with logic is usb? so no other connections are needed? except when its time to record the audio correct?

Correct, if you are only recording one part or don't want to edit any part of a multi timbral instrument then you don't even need any other audio connections. Just perform a real time bounce with normalisation & you're good to go.

Have a look at the tutorial song that came with the package, check out how it's been set up & routed thru Logic. That might help you figure out what works for you. :thumbup:

• ok im messing around with a few setups here, can someone let me know if this is ok too do or is suggested?

my first setup im using 3 USB channels and enable 16 midi tracks
    and in my second I a using 1 usb channel and 1 midi

neither of these are using audio cables, just usb.....which one would you guys say is best?