Happy about your TI troubles....... Ok, not really :-) My TI journey.... Like so many of you... Please read

• Logic still is AFAI know.

I'm not wanting to get involved in a platform war, I doubt Logic will ever be available for windows again.

My Virus is quite happy working away perfectly for about 95% of the time. I do get the occasional pop & click & sometimes I experience the wandering Arp but nothing that stops me working with it or thinking that it's broken.

I've never tried it with Pro Tools so can't offer any advice there.

• It's a shame I don't have access to either... that is, if I could stand touching a mac... ew... Pro tools AND MAC... brrr...

Hahah yeah who in the music industry uses Pro Tools...on Macs?!? That's so rare! I'm just fugging with you Antony you're the most helpful guy on this board, thanks for everything you do here.

Berni: I've been using my Virus in PT on Mac for the last couple of years with no problems. You can hear it on most of my records so you know I'm not making it up or anything. I had initial setup problems like everyone else, then I figured it out, and I posted everything I learned on this board. Have a look at that post and if it's not helping, tell me what's up and we'll work through it.

• Hahah yeah who in the music industry uses Pro Tools...on Macs?!? That's so rare! I'm just fugging with you Antony you're the most helpful guy on this board, thanks for everything you do here.

Berni: I've been using my Virus in PT on Mac for the last couple of years with no problems. You can hear it on most of my records so you know I'm not making it up or anything. I had initial setup problems like everyone else, then I figured it out, and I posted everything I learned on this board. Have a look at that post and if it's not helping, tell me what's up and we'll work through it.

Can you give me a clue where this post might be? Also are you on HD or LE as I know of one person here that managed to get it working on an HD system but I'm on LE. Thanks for the helpful reply.

• Sorry I suck with forums, I don't know how to give you a link, but I'll just copy and paste it right here. This is for PTLE by the way so should work for you too. One thing to note that I've learned since then: this latest version of the Virus TI OS is the most stable one I've ever used, so use the latest one. And PT9 is the most stable version of PT too for me so far, so get on that too. Here it is:

-----
    First thing to note is that the Virus is just as picky as Pro Tools is. Any long time PT users know what this means, i.e. there IS a way to get it to run rock-solid but you have to know all its little quirks. This is what I've determined:

If you have "weird" problems like:

- The interface looks messed up
    - That Init sound problem
    - Notes dropping out or getting cut off (sounds like polyphony problems but you know there shouldn't be any yet)

What you actually have is USB issues. I know, me too, you've followed all the steps, TI and the Control Center aren't reporting any problems, it works fine in Logic, etc. Can't explain it. It seems the RTAS version just needs the clearest, most untouched USB line from your Virus to the computer. I confirmed this by unplugging every damn USB device I have, and then checking every single USB port on my Mac (each time you do that, you need to do the 30-second Virus reboot plus a computer reboot), then opening Pro Tools, then loading the tutorial song (which always seems to work), THEN starting a new song, to see if the plugin was okay.

Finally found the right USB port (#3 for me).

Then, one reboot at a time, brought the other USB devices back in and still checked if the RTAS was still working. You gotta be careful what ports you plug the rest of the stuff into. Behind the scenes the Mac is sharing some of those USB ports with each other.

Now it's stable as a rock.

One other thing to try: if you're starting a new session from a template you made or one of the built-in templates, shut down Pro Tools, start it up again in a minute, then start an all-new BLANK session (not from a template), then try to load your RTAS. If that doesn't work, shut down PT, wait a minute, restart PT, load the tutorial song, play it for like 20 seconds, close it, THEN start an all new blank session.

Once you DO have a working Virus RTAS inserted, you should save THAT as a template. It'll always work.

Not very scientific I know but it's working now.
    ---

• Finally found the right USB port (#3 for me).

Hey Suges,

Thats pretty much the same way I went about troubleshooting when I first got my TI, but I found that port #1 is better behaved than #3. They were both working similarly well until I plugged the keyboard into #4 then the Virus seemed to go off on it's own improvised tangents whilst connected to #3.

I've got all my key commands in Logic set up to include the number pad, which is why I've got the keyboard plugged in, after reading your post I was wandering if you are using the wireless keyboard with your set up?

• Hey Suges,

Thats pretty much the same way I went about troubleshooting when I first got my TI, but I found that port #1 is better behaved than #3. They were both working similarly well until I plugged the keyboard into #4 then the Virus seemed to go off on it's own improvised tangents whilst connected to #3.

I've got all my key commands in Logic set up to include the number pad, which is why I've got the keyboard plugged in, after reading your post I was wandering if you are using the wireless keyboard with your set up?

Hey yeah I had the exact same problem once too...everything was good and then I plugged in the USB keyboard and got that "Virus makes its own sounds" issue. Switched to a wireless keyboard. Then decided I hated the wireless keyboard, got a USB hub, and went through the whole process again to figure out where to plug the Virus in, and where to plug the hub into. That's when things started taking a real long time to figure out, like which things should be plugged directly into the Mac and which into the hub.

It was actually Marc's Getting Started guide that helped me there. There's one section where he discusses how bandwidth works on USB and how there's one shared channel for USB 1 devices, something like that. So I used the hub to plug in all my iLoks and other dongles, the USB keyboard, etc, and then the VIrus directly into the Mac on the only port it has that's not shared, etc. Works all good new but yeah, definitely took a few hours to get it right.

• No that I've never done. Is that what you have?

Yes & likely to remain so until Mac come out with there new OS.
    Well the good news is I can actually get VC working on my set up & it's actually quite stable as long as I dont use multi mode, thanks for your suggestions. The bad news is that I have to set my H/W buffer to 128 samples which totally kills my track/plug in count to the extent that it is just not feasible having this one crappy plug-in working & the rest of my set up severely compromised. At the risk of repeating myself I thought the whole point of having a hardware synth was to cut down on my computers resources not totally take it over...I have many VI's & not one of them is as demanding as this bitch.
    At this point I am going to content myself with using it the good old fashioned way, midi leads & audio outs, its just less frustrating than trying to get VC working every other week, not to mention taking up way too much of my time. I bought this thing to make music NOT a science experiment.
    Further down the line who knows? They might get it right or they might go bust. For now if I need to use VC then I'll just boot up Live & run the VST version which does'nt have half as many problems as the RTAS version.
    Thankyou for your time & input my friend & some nice tracks on your Myspace ; ) You can always tell the musicians from the assholes on forums like this.

Peace.

• Sorry I couldn't help you out more bro...thanks for the kind words on the tracks! Just one more thing before you switch to good ol' MIDI+audio...try 256 as the buffer. That's what I'm using now...gives me about 6 ms latency which for me is pretty playable (trust me I can't deal with latency usually, but 6 seems to be okay? anything more and it screws me up). Try that and see if you can't get a decent track count. If that don't work then yup time to sell it or just use it the old fashioned way. Definitely don't waste any more time troubleshooting, it'll just kill your creativity.

I see you're in Miami, you going to the WMC this year? It's in a couple weeks...

• Sorry I couldn't help you out more bro...thanks for the kind words on the tracks! Just one more thing before you switch to good ol' MIDI+audio...try 256 as the buffer. That's what I'm using now...gives me about 6 ms latency which for me is pretty playable (trust me I can't deal with latency usually, but 6 seems to be okay? anything more and it screws me up). Try that and see if you can't get a decent track count. If that don't work then yup time to sell it or just use it the old fashioned way. Definitely don't waste any more time troubleshooting, it'll just kill your creativity.

I see you're in Miami, you going to the WMC this year? It's in a couple weeks...

Hey no worries bro, trust me if there was a way to get it working on my set up I would have got it already, not my first rodeo if you know what I mean. I appreciate your input. As for WMC I will be staying at the Cardozo on Ocean drive for Amateur Week ; )

• Hey no worries bro, trust me if there was a way to get it working on my set up I would have got it already, not my first rodeo if you know what I mean. I appreciate your input. As for WMC I will be staying at the Cardozo on Ocean drive for Amateur Week ; )

Amateur Week hahah. I'll hit you up on here if I decide to come out this year bro. Peace!!

• Yeah man, a bit of South Beach action is probably quite appealing right now eh ; )

Haha trust me it's a disaster here in Toronto. Rained yesterday. Snowing today. Tomorrow it'll probably be -20. Must. Get. Out. Plus we're gonna be promoting my new rekkid, might have to go down there and shake some hands.

How bout a preview: http://soundcloud.com/suges/sets/ssr-020-preview

Plenty of Virus action in the first two mixes there...