ADDITION OF A "USB-SAFE MODE" TO MINIMIZE USB BANDWIDTH FOR LAPTOPS.

• I need someone to come up with a solution for my problem.

I have the 2.4G macbookpro, and APC40 running Ableton Live 8.2 . I bought the Virus specifically as a stage synth/MIDI controller to show off at live concerts (& to lower the CPU load on my DAW). I use the APC40, which is hooked up via USB also. Well guess what..??

VIRUS CRASHES in a few minutes of booting.

I tech supported with Jorg, and we singled out the APC40 as the culprit in my setup, whoops I mean the VIRUS TI.

No fun my friends, big waste of $5000? (macbookpro + Virus). My dream down the toilet for now. Come on EURO TEAM!

A proprietary user setting - USB SAFE MODE - that minimalizes the usage of USB bandwidth and also only uses one channel of audio out (up to 24bit/48 kHz stereo) , and midi IN/OUT's.

Can we do this? :whistling:

• Did you try to load the VC into SAVIHost ?
    I have been playing Virus TI in Live and Logic for 3 years now with little to no problems. Just got the Akai APC40.

So:
    I have Virus Control loaded into an Ableton MIDI channel, and the APC set up as CONTROL SURFACE.
    (My SETUP: RME low latency sound card (e-bus-card in), I have 2G RAM in 2.4 macbookpro laptop. Latency is 256 samples, audio res is 24bit/48khz.)

My test with Jorg: So I uninstalled,and reinstalled the VC drivers, firmwares, hooked up ONLY the TI to USB , and I played the synth all day, no crash whatsoever.

I then hook-up the APC-40 (via USB), reset "control surface" in live preferences, and then it automatically hooks in to Live. I could reboot live+TI if I wanted, same thing - it works fine!

For only 3-10 minutes. It normally shuts off the connnection between the keyboard and the Virus Control. I play keys, nothing. The sound sustains, caught in the crash, on permanent hold. Virus Control just stays on the screen, looking normal, but it has frozen also. If I restart the Virus ON/OFF on the SYNTH, wait to boot/connect to VC, it loads up 70% of the time, and I'm off for another 3-10 minute session! Sometimes it does NOT hookup, saying VIRUS TI MIDI DRIVER FAILED, or somesuch.

Jorg explains that on laptops the USB only has a certain bandwidth that they can send, the Virus uses most of this, thus conflicting with other USB connected units.

The APC40 has it's own power DC-in, it just receives and transmits MIDI messages over USB.

I do not know too much about the term "bandwidth" in this definition, but it appears that TOWER computers, such as MACBOOK have much greater bandwidth, and can accomodate more high-bandwidth USB devices at the same time.

Hope that answers your questions. :D

• So :P I reset a couple of parameters, and everything works now. With APC40 and KP3 all USB'd together.

Most importantly, I set UTILITY/USB Audio Mode (in Virus Control) to: 2 outs/no input. Maybe that lowered the USB bandwidth from former setting of 3 outs/1 input.

Ableton PREFERENCES/Audio Latency to: 512 samples. Sample rate:96 khz/ 32 bit. (Ableton needs hi-res internal processing to sound decent on output.)

Now I wait all day, NO VIRUS CRASH!!!� :D8):thumbup:8o:!:

• Audio mode has no influence on the bandwidth. the amount of channels is fixed and only the purpose can be chosen using the audio mode parameter. i'm closing this thread now. i cannot see in which way other users can benefit from what you've stated and why your problems (which seem to be solved now) have anything to do with a "USB Save Mode". also access support did not say that the APC40 was the culprit, at least i cannot see this info surfacing anywhere in the mails you exchanged.

marc