saving sounds to audio file in logic 9

• Hi there,
    I am using my polar Ti as my daw sound card. is there anyway to get the audio output from the Virus and save it to an audio file in logic 9 without having to physical route the output?

Cheers,
    Noah

• I assume you have Virus Control running as an AU effect inserted on a MIDI channel in Logic, RIGHT??

You can record Virus Control Audio in Logic by hooking up a bus. There are 2 ways to hook up a bus: by setting up CHANNEL OUT to new BUS# or SEND to new BUS#. I use channel out to bus, so that you don't hear your audio on the original virus channel, which should be turned pretty high for a healthy digital signal. Rather, I hear my audio from a new record channel (see instructions below), with the audio level on this new channel set to a comfortable level, it doesn't affect the record level. You have to play the synth in real time, or have a midi track playing in real time, and record the audio in real time.

1. send the VIRUS channel audio to a NEW BUS channel (either direct in channel outputs box, or on a send knob box with knob turned all the way up) Right click in the AUDIO OUTPUT box, and enter, say Bus 10. The channel volume should be UP pretty high, to give a healthy signal. THIS IS YOUR RECORD LEVEL. But not your record channel.

2. disabling the output to master in the NEW bus channel. Go to the far right of the mixer to find the AUX channels with input box that says BUS 10. Turn the audio output box from MASTER to SEND ONLY or OFF.

3. Set up a NEW AUDIO channel next to your Virus MIDI channel, with inputs set to BUS 10 (..or whatever bus number you chose in step 1). Turn Record ON. After setting up this channel, click on the Virus Channel again to make it your main focus, this enables the VST synth, the VIRUS, and always keep this track enabled (or return to this mode) until you have finished recording. Output box should say MASTER, and set your level comfortably. THIS IS NOT THE RECORD LEVEL, but it is the record channel.

4. Assuming you have already recorded a MIDI sequence in the Virus channel, or want to record BOTH audio and midi LIVE, or record just LIVE AUDIO, it's OK. You are ready to go.

5. Record in real time on your new channel.

6. It's better to disable any effects or EQ on the Virus Channel, and put them on the new record channel. They will not be recorded, thus allowing you to have more mixing power later. :rolleyes: