Outputs on the Virus Snow

• Hey guys!!!!

I've been a proud Virus TI user for around a year now, and it's the best decision I ever made!!!!!!

Anyways, I have a quick question about the Virus Snow outputs.

They are unbalanced, +4dBU right?

Why I ask is, for all this while, I've been recording audio via USB MIDI to my Logic setup.

I want to take advantage of the Apogee Duet's A/D D/A converters, so I plan to hook em up to the Mic/Line XLR inputs on the Duet via the Virus outputs.

This way, I can choose the DIRECT option to record from the Virus outputs.

Thoughts/comments?

• Take the following into consideration:

Using D/A and A/D adds interference noise, sampling noise and the converter's specific character (in terms of frequency and phase response) to the original sound generated by the Virus. Sometimes this is desirable (lo-fi?). You can use the S/PDIF jack if you have such an input somewhere in your setup. This digital protocol preserves the quality of the sound.

If delay compensation is enabled for the Virus, the direct sound will play a little bit earlier than intended.

Hope this helps.

• Flabberbob, thank you so much for your reply.

Your comments are noted :)

However, I must point out that interference noise in unbalanced signals is a serious issue over longer distances (typically 10 feet or more).

For short distance unbalanced, I don't think there there will a serious issue of noise (5-6 feet).

Hmm, what you mention about the character of the Duet's converters I will have to investigate.

To the best of my knowledge, the converters are fairly transparent and add some depth and more bass presence.

Nonetheless, I will hear it for myself.

Perhaps other users can shed some light on this, who have recorded their Virus through an Apogee Duet / Ensemble?

Btw, my apologies for posting in the wrong section of the forum!