Virus started with its Nonsense again!

• Alright guys,

Once again the Virus Ti has decided not to work on projects that are not 44khz. It was working for around a week then all of a sudden, this.
    For me able to achieve a sample rate of 48khz, I had to disconnect the power completely so that the Audio clock changed to "Synced to Host".
    Now, for some reason, that doesn't matter. As soon as the Virus detects a project of 48khz, it just fails to load and I get the message.....

A communication error has occurred. The Virus TI does not respond to request messages or the transmitted data is corrupt.

Please be aware that the RAM banks in the browser window will not correspond to the actual content in the device!
    Please check your system setup.

Im just about getting sick of this contraption. For the money I paid you would expect better!

EDIT....

heres another thing thats started as well....

MIDI DRIVER FAILED

The MIDI driver failed to connect or is not installed.

What a load of MUCK!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von scientificharmony ()

• A communication error has occurred. The Virus TI does not respond to request messages or the transmitted data is corrupt.

Please be aware that the RAM banks in the browser window will not correspond to the actual content in the device!
    Please check your system setup.

When I've seen that message before it was due to a problem with the USB, I don't really know anything about Windows :cursing: but I'd say you probably need to have a good look at your set up & make sure there is nothing conflicting with the Virus on the same USB hub.

If you are having constant problems & haven't already done so, you should maybe get in touch with support & they will be able to help you troubleshoot your system.

I know from personal experience how frustrating it can be when your Virus won't play nice with the rest of your gear, I also know that it will run rock solid once you find the right configuration - not that you really care about that right now.

Good luck :)

• Hi Ruari,

Im on Mac Osx Lion. It was running fine for a while and all
    of a sudden this started happening.
    Im only using usb ports on my imac.
    Internal Usb hub1:
    Belkin Usb 2.0 hub / elicenser
    Bluetooth usb controller

Internal Hub2:
    iSight (disabled)
    IR Receive mr (disabled)
    Virus ti

Just to clarify, Virus Control is unusable if i connect my virus to my focusrite saffire by midi/jack ?
    I dont know what else to try at this point. :(

Chris

• Sorry mate, I don't know why I thought you were on Windows - must have been a temporary glitch in the matrix.

The way you are connected is identical to mine, the only difference is I'm still on 10.6. I've got loads of things connected to my USB hub as well but it doesn't affect the Virus at all. Have you tried connecting just the Virus to the hub with nothing else connected to any USB ports to see if that's any better? A while ago Marc was asking people to try it out - it didn't work for me but I guess you have nothing to lose at this point.

When I was having problems with my Virus, on the advice of another forum member here I spent a day trying different things until I got it sorted out. I started by only connecting the Virus then playing through a Logic project I was having problems with, any problems during playback then I shut down the computer, connected the Virus to a different port & tried again until I could play the project through fine. Then I started adding USB devices one at a time & replaying the project to see if any of them were causing me grief. I had to rinse & repeat until I had everything I needed connected to my computer - one thing that caused me constant grief was an external USB drive which I use for Time Machine, in the end I used to just disconnect that when I was using the Virus but I don't even have a problem with that anymore.

All this was before Lion though, I'm not saying that Lion is a problem it's just that I don't have any experience of using the Virus with it so I couldn't tell you what it should be like.

You are right that you can't use VC if you connect it up the old school way - but you can still use the Virus as you would any other MIDI device.

• Its literally doing my head in....

This new message. Midi driver not installed. It obviously is and its just not picking it up.

:(

• Have you checked AudioMIDI Setup?

Sometimes I get a message on Logic startup saying my Saffire isn't turned on when it is, it's usually sorted by going to AudioMIDI Setup & rescanning MIDI

• Ok, I reinstalled the whole Virus suite. Set my Saffire to 96khz. Virus's Audio clock was set to "synced to host"
    and Virus Control opened with no problems. I then closed Cubase and done the exact same thing and got the blasted USB connection error once again.

What can be causing this? Can it be the type of USB lead that was supplied?

strange

UPDATE****

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K !

One minute Virus Control works, the next. It doesn't.

What the hell is going on here!

UPDATE 2*********

We are back to the original issue.

Virus Control is now working, only if I have the Virus Audio Clock set to 44khz and the Cubase Project to 44khz.

It will not work If i set to 48khz. :/

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von scientificharmony ()

• Alright Ruari,

Ive been in contact with support since the day i got the virus before xmas!
    Going round in circles!

I can successfully open a project in cubase and in logic if the project is set to 44khz and the virus's audio clock is set to Frequency 44/48khz Internal clocking.
    The saffire is also set to 44khz (syncing with daw)

It just doesnt make sense that it works perfectly in a 44khz project but not a 48khz.

Chris :cursing:

• Marc,

My iMac is:

Apple iMac 27" Core i7 2.8GHZ, 8GB DDR3 (late 2009)

Audio Source: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP

Virus TI2 61 Note

Mac OSX Lion (Latest) (same problem existed on windows: tested)

Cubase 6 / Logic 9 Pro

My Virus is running on the Belkin 2.0 USB Hub that you have recommended on many posts.

There are 2 internal Hubs:

There are 2 internal USB hubs

Hub1:
    elicenser
    BRCM2046 Hub -- Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    Internal Memory Card Reader

Hub2:
    Built-In iSight
    IR Receiver
    Belkin USB 2.0 HUB //// Virus Ti

Audio Clock on Virus set to ;
    SOURCE - Internal
    Frequency 48.0kHz

I have tried setting Source to Auto.
    If I disconnect the power of the Virus and reconnect or, bring Virus out of sleep then connect USB. The Audio Clock changes to Synced To Host - It will accept a project of 48kHz (sometimes)

Hope this helps

Chris

• we are currently investigating on a 48k condition with certain macs. what we believe is that 48k itself runs fine but switching from 44.1 to 48k causes a problem. could you please test something for me: make a default song which is empty and has the sampling rate set to 48k. launch cubase by opening this song (this way, cubase opens set to 48k). once the song is loaded, load your virus project which uses 48k. this way you avoid switching sampling rates. as i said, it's just a suspicion but maybe a hint on how you can deal with it until we have found and fixed the cause of the issue.
    best, marc

• Hi Marc,

Thanks for getting back to me. So just to clarify,
    I have to set the frequency on the Virus to 48KHZ.
    Open Cubase / Logic and open an empty project of 48KHZ
    (I find if I set my Saffire pro 24 dsp to 48KHZ, Cubase will automatically open a new project at 48KHZ)
    Then try to open Virus Control?

I think I have tried this before, but I will give it a go after work!

I will post different scenarios to try and help you in your investigations.
    Please keep an eye on this thread for updates on my findings..

Chris

• Hi Marc,

I performed a load of tests under Cubase 6 and Logic 9 Pro. It seems to me that each time you switch the Virus Ti on, it displays the message "Audio Clock Changed"
    Under Cubase, Virus Control only loaded successfully once, while Logic 9 Pro was successful a number of times.

I have compiled 2 Logs for you to review, maybe they will shed some light on the problem.

Cubase Log

Logic Log

I hope this helps in your investigations. Please keep me posted with any revelations that you may find,.

Regards

Chris

• chris, thanks a lot. would you mind sending those reports to access support by email? in our test we thought to find a similar pattern for a while but then it turned out that after a sufficient number of tries, the count equaled out. do others find similar trends?
    thanks, marc

• I Marc,

I have been in contact with Jorg and I sent an email last night to support with a link to this topic. Hopefully he received it and downloads the reports.

Chris

• Hi Marc,

Jorg emailed me last night and informed me that he downloaded my test logs and was gonna email them to you as soon as possible.
    Please keep me updated on your findings as I would like to start using the Virus.

Chris