USB connection lost

• Hi. I've been having a problem with my Virus TI for quite a while now. I've put up with the problem for over a year because I thought it was just a quirk of the TI, but am starting to think there may be a problem with it.

I currently use Cubase 4.5.1 for sequencing and run the TI through the USB cable. I'm using the Virus Control plugin and the 3 stereo USB outs into Cubase.

This is what happens:

1. Open Cubase project
    2. It plays fine for a while until on the virus LCD screen it says "USB connection lost" and it loops the previous 256 samples in the audio buffer continuously.
    3. Close Cubase
    4. Switch the Virus TI off and on
    5. Open Cubase and load project again

I will repeat this whenever it decides to randomly disconnect (which can be any time, not dependant on any action I perform).

Is anyone else having this annoying problem or just me?

Additional info: ~~ Cubase 4 (Patch 4.5.1) // Windows XP Professional 32bit // Virus TI OS 3.2.0.07 // PC computer is: Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz -- 4GB DDR2 RAM

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Regards, Jim.

• Hello,

Just to say I have the same sort of thing happening with a USB connected when using TI as an FX for atomizer. It's very frustrating. Can anyone help?

• This might help folks. I used to be on pc with the virus and I experienced alot of USB related issues just like those above. I sorted it by buying a 4 port PCI USB card. This ensured my Virus was on a separate USB hub with maximum bandwidth available and no bandwidth sharing. It basically sorted out alot of issues for me and for E20 a card it's worth trying.

Ciaran

• This might help folks. I used to be on pc with the virus and I experienced alot of USB related issues just like those above. I sorted it by buying a 4 port PCI USB card. This ensured my Virus was on a separate USB hub with maximum bandwidth available and no bandwidth sharing. It basically sorted out alot of issues for me and for E20 a card it's worth trying.

Ciaran

I have done some testing and found one definite cause of the USB connection being lost. I noticed that most times I switched my subwoofer on while running a project, it would cause the USB connection on the Virus TI to be lost instantaneously. I'm guessing it doesn't like little power spikes that happen when something is being plugged in or switched on.

I'll try getting hold of a PCI-e USB card to test it. I guess my motherboard isn't providing the USB ports with enough current so an add-in card might help.

Thank you.