Need SUpport for Digital Performer 8.0

• It's been four years since I used my polar or digital performer for that matter. A Ph.D. program kept me from working on any new music, but now I'm back at it.
    I was hoping to discover that TI ver. 5 would play nice with DP 8, this post makes me think that is not the case. I'm holding off on the upgrade to DP 8.

Of the supported DAWs which is closest to DP? I tried logic and hated the interface. Any suggestions?

And more importantly, has anyone used DP 8 with the latest virus control?

Is the issue limited to the sync problems as it was with Virus control 1 and 2 and DP 5, or are there other issues as well?

-highend hobbiest, nic holt. ph.d :)

• Seems like DP supports plugin latency compensation from ver 4.5, also you have the ability to turn off pre-gen for the Virus and multitimbrality is supported - so DAW-wise you are all set. I've heard a lot of praises about the sync performance of TIOS5.1, but I haven't tried it myself since it's a beta release. In general, you should learn how to make use of the "live" and "direct to monitor" modes of VC to avoid the inherent delay issues that come with using USB. And above all that you have to make sure that your Virus gets all the USB bandwidth it needs.
    Hope this helps.

• Update:
    I received DP 8 last weekend.
    The good news was Virus control finally worked without a hitch.
    The bad news is that there still are sync and drift issues, mainly with arp. patches.
    My current (but painful) work around plan is to use Virus control to set all the patches to the channels I will use and then disconnect USB and use midi only.
    Anyone have any other suggestions?

Nic

• Regarding arps, make sure your notes are 100% quantized and snap to bars/beats (depending on the length of a full arp cycle). Virus arps do not snap to the MIDI clock by themselves.
    Regarding your plan, once you disconnect the USB or unload VC the Virus forgets its setup and resumes whatever it was doing before. You'll have to save the patches to RAM, and call them up manually.

• Good News! I have been have some repeatable successes with DP8.01 and Virus control 5(beta). Following Flabberbob's advice, even the arps seem to be sync'd up after meticulously lining them up to the beat and editing the note durations. After so many year's away, I'm having to relearn everything, but having a great time with it. Virus control is super fun! I use the USB outs and set buffer to 128. I experimented with the LIVE button but it doesn't stay on, so I just ignore it now.

flabberbob --- I know that DP is not a supported DAW, but you sure have made me feel supported. Thanks!!!!

I don't want to leave anyone with the impression it's all perfect, (I'm a hobbyist, not a pro) but reading through many of the posts here, I don't think my experience is significantly different from others. I sometimes hear a little crackle or pop from some of the patches. And the sync can get off a bit on a short loop, but it's easily fixed when I restart from two bars prior to sequence.

Hopefully as the semester ends, and my students papers are graded, I will have some more time to play.
    Cheers, Nic

• Thank you nicholt!!

I loved working with dp 3-5 and my virus kb until I recently upgraded to a new rig... enter DP 8.x and virus ti2 kb. the TI in DP was making me nuts. I tried everything I thought was possible and finally settled on going back to standard midi/audio i/o through DP as I'm so accustomed to. After reading your post I'll go give it another shot with the TI plug in DP.

Thanks mate!

-Benjamin