TI2 Desktop and Indigo TDM

• After years of working with the Indigo TDM plugin, we have a need to recreate some things in a live format. I did some research and was told by multiple people that the TI2 will do everything and more that the Indigo TDM plug-in will do. Plus, they will sound identical if the parameters are matched exactly.

Well, I started playing with this yesterday and after exhausting over 6 hours on a single sound, I cannot get the TI2 to reproduce the exact same sound made by Indigo TDM. Most of the parameter names between the two match and everywhere renaming has happened we've matched up with the updated name.

We're using the 3.1 software. The idea is to match these sounds and then store them on the TI2 so we can take them with us and play them without using a computer.

So, my two big questions are as follows:

Is it possible to have identical sounds on the TI2 when the sounds were originally created in Indigo TDM?
    Is there a way to import the Indigo TDM presets we've created to the TI2?

• The Indigo TDM is based on the Virus b series and the new TI and TI2 series Virus models definitely have the original features of the Virus b series plus a lot on top obviously. The "old" Oscillator from the Virus b series is called "classic" in the new TI and TI2 series. In other words it is definitely possible to recreate sounds from the Virus b series or the TDM Indigo on the new TI and TI2 models.
    However it is not possible to load Indigo TDM patches into the TI and TI2.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Thank you for the response. It would be great if there was a way that could possibly be developed so that the exact patches from Indigo could be imported into the hardware. When you spend years creating an album using Indigo in PT|HD and then need to take that album into a live arena, you want things to sound like the record. It's quite a huge process to dial in each and every parameter for each sound layer, save it to a RAM bank, then put the TI2 into Multi mode after unplugging the USB cable and setup the entire Multi accordingly.

Additionally, it seems that the chorus is much bigger in the TI2 over the Indigo. For example, if I have the chorus setup in Indigo with a mix setting at 64, it's very heavy on the TI2 whereas it's just right in Indigo TDM. I have to back off quite a bit on the TI2 to make it sound right (i.e. my mix setting on the TI2 is at 18 when that same mix setting is at 64 in Indigo).

• Thanks Marc. That's exactly what I'm doing. The issue is that there are multiple patches (sometimes five or more per song) and the presets, although some have the same names, are different parameters over the TDM plug's presets. I've also noticed that the filters and the chorus are a bit different and minor tweaking is needed to match the sounds. We're getting through it very slowly but we're finding that it takes over an hour per patch to really dial it in as close as we can. Over an entire show (two albums worth of music) this is a fairly large task.

When I spoke about a conversion utility I was thinking of a small standalone app that would take the TFX file (ProTools preset file) and convert that (it's machine code as of right now) into a format that would be readable by the TI2 VC software thus allowing you to select import PT Preset file and convert it to a patch file that you could drag and drop into the RAM bank of your choice. I have a feeling that you'd sell a few more TI2s to engineers who don't want to use an entire DSP per Indigo instance but love the sounds.

• kittonian,

i can understand that automating the conversion would save you loads of time. but writing a converter is far from being done in a day. on top, having one means to maintain it which is extra work again. even if somebody would step up and invest the time, this person would need to be under NDA with digidesign because their file format is not public. and of course this person would need to adjust the code in case digi would make changes to the file format. i know, this reply will not help you getting the task done.

best, marc

• Marc,

Fair enough. I completely understand that even if an app were to go into the development phase it wouldn't help me in this situation due to R&D and coding time. I was simply suggesting that it might be worth looking into as I can only imagine I'm not the only person running into this situation.

I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks.