Stuttering with 6 parallel notes when on 6 parts, but not when same notes on 1 part?!

• I think this is more a question about patch design, that an issue... but im a bit unsure.

Ive got a TI KB (v1) which I play with an Eigenharp as a midi controller.
    Now, this instrument lets me put pitch bend, and other expressions per note.

ok, so to enable this on the TI, what I do is use Virus Control, and put the same patch into all 16 slots,
    Then I configure the eigenharp to send each note on separate midi channels.

So far so good, works a treat :o)

Now, Ive noticed when im playing about 6-7 notes at the same time (so its playing on 6-7 parts, each one note) , I start to get audio breakup ... !!!! (Im using E Grand -HS on all channels)

However, If I play the same thing, just on one midi channel it is fine ... i.e. i should not be running out of polyphony, as its the same number of notes, if its on one part or 6.

Initially I thought it might be USB issues, but Ive set every part to use OUT 1 L+R, so should be no audio traffic.
    Finally, Ive tried with all extra expressions off, and I seem to get the same thing.

Ok, so theoretically, as far as I see it the data, should be the same between sending on 6 notes on 1 midi channel, and 1 note on 6 channels.

Now this is where it gets interesting... is it the Virus taking more DSP resources?

I assume since its the same number of notes being triggered, resources on polyphony are the same eg. oscillators, filters, mods

The only thing I could think of is perhaps the FX, is this chain shared for a single part, and separate for mutli parts?
    If I turn of all FX for all parts will this help?

Is there anything else that could introduce extra DSP load (E Grand HS, is a bit complex, but not that bad really)

Or is this not the issue at all, and its something else?

thoughts? experiences?

• You'll have to be more specific regarding what is exactly an "audio breakup", but generally you are correct - FX are per channel so when you send all notes on same channel they are all FX-processed by the same resources. When duplicated to several parts, the resources are duplicated as well. For these cases Access should re-introduce the global delay/reverb ;-).

• flabberbob
    Audio breakup, basically one or more channels (sometimes all of them) stop playing abruptly.
    K, I played with E-Grand, and yes turning All FX off in all parts solves the issue, some FX appear to be worst than others ... delay and reverb are definitely the worst of the lot.
    As you say would be great if we could choose to have FX per part of global... to me it appears the TI doesnt really have the power to do per part, given I was only sending 1 note on each part (in fairness simultaneously)
    will raise an enhancement request :o)

BTW, is there a way of allocating one patch to multiple parts at the same time? (I know I can drag n drop between parts)... it would be very useful both in VC and also on the TI.
    (useful for both layering, and also like here where Im using multi parts for individual notes)

thanks again

• At least you can use the config menu's system page 1/5 to switch off all delays and verebs. I recommend using a reverb/delay plugin in your DAW instead. Also check if your patch is using unison. Another tip is to change key mode from poly to one of the monos, it could be that long release tails keep voices alive much too long.

• yeah, I know ... i did turn off EQ/Delay/Reverb from menu... but things like distortion and phaser were also causing issues, basically seems any FX

Tail times and unison - I understand where you are coming from, but surely this should not be any different from single part?
    i.e. it all works fine on a single midi channel, so this would also be using unison and have same tail times. no? ... basically i cant see it matters is polyphone of say 15 voices is on 1 part, or 6 parts?

I wouldn't want to have mono, as this would mean, if there was a tail, the note would be cut off... it should be able to continue to be sounded - as with single part.

This is all why I put it as a question more than an 'issue' , its more about how does the virus work... when does it use more resources for mutli part compared to a single part.

I guess, it could be note stealing is handled differently over mutli parts than single... but id be a bit surprised, though of course we have part priority which is not applicable in single part.

anyway ... food for thought, it does mainly appear to be FX as far as I can tell, and as you say I can externalise that.

hmm, thinking, if I record output in DAW (without FX) , perhaps I can then bounce the master track back thru the virus to add global FX afterwards.... not sure it buys me much though :o)