Confusion: Presets Plug-in vs. stand alone

• Hi there,

maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I didn't get the logic yet (although I've been working with a TI1 for quite a while and never came across this): The presets in stand alone mode of my TI2 Polar don't match the ones in the Browser of the plug-in. Is that normal?

Example: stand alone, I found a wonderful sound in ROM D. All the sounds are sorted after their creator, i.e. ROM D is a bank by "@" while ROM C is a bank by HS (Howard Scarr, I guess).

So, I turned on Logic to quickly record my idea - but the preset was gone! My autoload song already has a VC plug-in inserted and therefore loads with the presets. The preset was not in ROM D, however. I found it somewhere else... And the order was completely different, too: The banks show presets from different creators completely mixed up.
    I quit Logic, and - wonders of the deep blue sea - the banks are back to the old order again, including my beloved ROM-D 44: Dryadae @

Why is it that the plug-in shows different sounds? And how can they change back so quickly without any delay of "syncing" or anything?

Does it have to do with my upgrading from TI1 desktop to TI2 without especially caring during installation?

What's the "official" bank order of the TI2? Sorted by I-don't-know-what (plug-in) or sorted by creators (stand alone)?
    And how do I get the same order into the plug-in browser?

Stand alone I have:

ROM A - by BC
    ROM B - by MS
    ROM C - by HS

and so forth...

Best regards,

Christian

• i think there is still something wrong with the cache (you experienced initial syncing problems at setup). if you don't mind, make another backup to collect evidence. then open virus control, go to the browser page and right click into the browser pane to open a context menu. one of the menu options is to rescan the bank which will forcefully update the synced content. of course, the idea is that both banks are the same, hence the sync.

best, marc

• Well, they aren't! I just tried that, but the cache is not being re-written! After this forceful sync, bank by bank, the presets in the plug-in are the same as in stand alone. That's great. But as soon as I close the plug and re-open it, there are the confused presets again! They seem to be read from the cache which is not updated when forcefully receiving sounds.

So I cleared the cache again and let it re-sync. I would have thought that re-syncing means that the plug-in collects the real world ROM. But it just received the same crap again and wrote it as cache! 8|

Another strange thing: When the plug-in is open, and I select a sound manually ON THE TI2 (not in the browser!), I see the original ROM sound for half a second, and then it switches to the browser sound of the same number!

What I will try now is deleting the cache files and THEN forcing the re-sync bank by bank...

As I fiddled around so much, I think it doesn't make sense to send you the backup just yet... I still collect data... And anyway: After using the VC, my TI2 is not recognized by the plug-in any more. I have to shut down the computer, shut down the TI, restart the TI and restart the computer which is too much of a hassle at the moment.

Bets regards,

Christian

• Now that's strange:

- While the plug-in was running with the "wrong" presets, I deleted ROM D from the cache.
    - Then I forcefully received ROM D from the TI. Now I was able to select the same sounds as stand alone.
    - I closed the plug-in and checked the cache folder again: ROM D had been re-written at the time when I closed the plug-in.

So that sounds nice.

BUT: When I re-opened the plug-in, the "wrong" order was back! I can't believe it! How can the plug forcefully receive the ROM D sounds and display them perfectly and write a file in the cache folder and then later, the wrong sounds are back?

How does the cache folder correspond with the plug-in anyway? The plug-in in my case displays standard sounds from "Virus TI2 (Virus TI2 Polar)/ROM D". Does this correspond with the cache, i.e. is this list loaded from there?
    In the bowser menu, I can only select that OR the "public libraries", but those are entirely different.

Best regards,

Christian

• Via VCC, I restored the ROM banks from the backup I sent you recently. The cache files have been re-written AND the ROM sounds now have this "wrong" order, i.e. NOT sorted by creator.

Now, the question is: Where did the other order come from? The one which was sorted by creator.

AND: Which one is the right one?

Chronology:

- Bought a TI2 Polar. I don't remember which soundset was on because I
    - uploaded the newest beta firmware 3.3
    - I then made the backup, so the beta firmware must have written this order (NOT sorted by creator) into the TI2.
    - Then I re-installed the firmware from the VCC which created the cache in the first place (to solve my re-syncing issue).
    - Afterwards, the sound order was by creator, but the plug-in order wasn't.

Ain't that strange?

I'm now going to start the plug-in again and see, if its browser matches the stand-alone order.

Last question: What's the official order of the TI2 Polar? Is it dependent on the firmware, i.e. do you change it with the firmware version, or do you change it with the hardware version?

Best regards,

Christian