Virus TI USB speed

• Hello,
    I've noticed some erratic behaviour with my new Virus TI when using it with Cubase 7.5/Mac OS 10.9.1 - sounds changing spontaneously; timing going weird etc so thought I'd try using a different USB socket to see if things improved.
    I then noticed in Mac system report, some sockets come up as "Hi Speed USB" with up to 480 MB/s...
    "cool - I'll use one of those" I thought, but as soon as I switch the Virus into any one of them the port becomes plain old "USB Port" with speed of only "up to12MB/s".
    Why is this and should I be concerned?

• the mac reports the speed of the connected device, i.e. plug a usb 1.1 device into a usb 2.0 port and it will report 1.1 speed (12mb/s)
    so that normal.

but your issue with cubase sounds like its worth working through with support… unless of course you find a usb port that works better :o)

• the mac reports the speed of the connected device, i.e. plug a usb 1.1 device into a usb 2.0 port and it will report 1.1 speed (12mb/s)
    so that normal.

but your issue with cubase sounds like its worth working through with support… unless of course you find a usb port that works better :o)

OK thank you.

Yes, I seem to be getting MIDI mayhem suddenly...mainly that using the Virus's own keyboard results in sporadic and stuck notes. I can trigger it OK from another keyboard....

• Report it as a bug....

I first reported it here : Mavericks Users? ( thats about 6 week ago)

but got no feedback, Ive also mentioned it on a few other threads where people have been having issues, but again, Access have never acknowledged it.

Personally I don't know why, it would take someone 2 minutes to test and reproduce this, and then they could get Polytec to sort out the issue.

• OK - will write to support...

• The Virus only transmits at 12mbs, while it is compatible with USB 2.0, it won't transfer at those speeds...has been the whole issue with the virus glitches in my opinion.

• The Virus only transmits at 12mbs, while it is compatible with USB 2.0, it won't transfer at those speeds...has been the whole issue with the virus glitches in my opinion.

Indeed - slightly irritating to find that, having just spent a shed-load on what I thought would be an up to date instrument.
    I presume that is something that can't be fixed with a software update?

• just because there are later standards doesnt mean they are required...

usb 1.1 has plenty of capacity, a stereo 44.1khz at 16 bit is around, 1.4 mbps , stereo 48 at 24 bit 2.4mbps
    ... so 3 outputs would only be 7.2mpbs .... and midi data is virtually nothing in comparison.
    12mbps is fine, and has capacity to spare.

there is for obvious reasons no point in transmitting data faster than sample rate, except for non realtime bouncing ... and a small amount for buffering.

there are issues with the virus, but usb 1.1 is not one of them.