Virus Ti & Vienna Ensemble Pro

• Hi, Iam using Vienna ensemble Pro on a slave computer as vst host. In there i have virus ti running (usb connection). I already figured out how to automate from my master sequencer (cubase). However i need the normal midi connection to assign the hardware buttons in my master sequencer. That way when i write enable a track, it records the parameter. Atm i cant record the movements of the knobs. The midi out of the virus is connected with a midi cable to my master midi in. I like to know if its possible to enable midi out from the virus while also connected thru usb. That would solve the problem. Maybe its an easy tweak for a future patch. Best of both worlds, to use it as a plugin and as a midi controller at the same time.

Bram

• I don't think they will do this, since they use the midi out/in for a different purpose once it connected via USB.
    when you connect the Virus TI, via USB the TI becomes a midi 'hub' for the computer.
    i.e. you can now connect midi devices to TI IN/OUT and control them via the computer using Virus Midi over USB.

Its quite a nice solution, but as you say would be kind of nice if it was 'optional', as it obviously means that the midi ports are now completely detached from the synth engine.

as for your example, I also run VEP, what I would do, is just use networking midi via the same ethernet network between the two computers, you go:
    Virus USB midi (Synth) (PC A) -> ethernet -> Seq (PC B)
    given both USB and ethernet are orders of magnitude faster than midi din, this will still be higher performance than using a midi cable.

or of course with VEP, you could run a local instance on the computer with sequencer, just for VC and then run your other VST instances on a remote instance.
    (the VC plugin doesnt use much computer resources, since its essentially just sending midi message over the usb cable)

• Using a 2000 euro synth as just a midi controller doesnt really make sense to me ;) But i understand the option. Running another instance on my sequencer pc is also an option. But i makes my configuration a bit messy with 2 different ve pro hosts. I also came with a option. When you just control some of the parameters of VC, then use a seperate midi controller on your sequencer pc and map the knob in VE Pro (slave) to the VC parameter, for example cuttoff. I dont record that many parameters. So in that way you can control and record the movement, sadly not with the nice Virus knobs..
    Alternative:
    Which program should i use to send midi over ethernet? using the Virus USB midi (Synth) (PC A) -> ethernet -> Seq (PC B) method.

• Oh, I agree, but in the same way, I don't understand why it has to have an audio interface ... surely most have one anyway?
    but I guess, at the time in seemed like a nice 'one stop' solution.

PC or Mac?
    Macs its built it... PC, I don't use but the developers that do LoopBe have one, and also rtpMidi. (I think there are quite a others around too)
    (ableton describe it here: https://www.ableton.com/en/art…nizing-midi-over-network/)

• I think your missing the point here, the midi out doesnt work in the case when using the virus ti as a plugin.
    It entirery depends on where you want to see the problem.

In the case you want to use the knobs of de virus to control any plugin inside Cubase, you will not succeed when the plugin is started. Just keep it simple. The problem isnt Vienna one. Because Vienna can recieve the virus controller info that comes from my master PC. Because thats what i have made so far with a different midi controller to control the virus ti knobs. So again this should be a improvent for the virus TI.
    I can control the parameters for the TI in Vienna thats not the problem, only not record them with the original TI knob movement.