Random pitch change on Virus TI since opening a new user account (on Mac Pro)?

• Hey guys,

On friday for no apparent reason I got this message (on my Mac Pro) saying Pubsubagent quit unexpectedly. And anything connected to the internet quitted out straight away, Safari, I tunes etc..

I did a bit of research to try and solve the problem but have been unsuccessful, however I read if you open a new user everything will work fine in that user. I did this, and my other apps worked ok, so I opened Logic 8 (for the first time on this user), it said it was going to scan for plug ins (I think!), it didn't give me any other option than to click 'OK', so I did and I remember it doing a scan of the Virus TI - as well as loads of other stuff.

Now when I play a song in Logic the Virus channels are all in a different pitch! For short term purposes I tried moving the notes around but cant get them in the right key.. so it must be the pitch.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this? Its so fustrating.

Thanks!

• I've been harrassed by this bug for quite a while, but it hasn't occured recently. So maybe, it has been solved with the TI's newest beta firmwares (which I use) or with Logic 9 or with Snow Leopard. Or I've just been lucky recently. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was in contact with support at that time. They knew about it but couldn't reproduce it. It occured rarely and randomly. One workaround was to disconnect the USB cable (without Logic started), change the internal audio clock from 44.1 kHz to 48 and back, and reconnect the USB cable.
    Another (less sensitive) way was to turn everything completely off (Mac and TI), turn on the TI, then boot the Mac.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,

Christian

• Hey Christian,

thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately turning the Virus on first, then booting the mac didnt work, id like to try your first suggestion but dont know where I would find the internal clock, could you please tell me where it is?

Many thanks,

Karl

• Press the CONFIG button and step through the pages up to the "Audio Clock" page.

Apart from that, you might try the "Global Tuning" page as well.

And then, a complete reset of the TI might be in order, since this behaviour is strange: I only had the problem VERY rarely, and it could be immediately solved by the actions I mentioned above. Maybe your problem is different...

Apart from that: What firmware and driver version do you use? Do you have the most recent official release installed? You definitely should!

Best regards,

Christian

• I changed the Audio Clock to 48 then back to 44.1 and its worked! :)

Ive turned it on and off a couple of times and its all working as it should be, hopefully that will be the end of it!

Ive installed the latest firmware and drivers.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Cheers,

Karl

• this is a weird phenomena we know since some time. the problem is that it happens so sporadically that we literally didn't have a chance so far to examine or reproduce it on a developer machine. christian is right, switch back and forth the sampling rate cures it but if anybody has found a method to trigger it (so we can reproduce it) i'd really appreciate to know how.

best, marc

• I might know how to trigger this (at least this is how it got me twice):

You have a sound card that's also handling the system's sounds in OS X. For me it's the Ensemble. Normally the Ensemble's set to 44.1 kHz. It's like that when you boot up OS X etc.

Then you fire up the DAW (for me Logic) and it's, by default, set to be 96 kHz. This happens automatically when I load my main template or a previous song. The VC could be automatically loaded because it was already instantiated in the song or you loud it explicitly (both methods triggered this for me).

Then (this is the part I'm not sure of) you either have problems with the VC (i.e. it never gets past the Starting Up radial progress bars) or everything's fine, either way you quit Logic.

Now the sound card wants to play a system sound or what have you in 44.1 kHz. Whatever the trigger is, the sound card gets abruptly forced to change back to 44.1 kHz (because it won't be automatically changed back after you quit Logic). At this point is when my Virus' clock gets confused.

Hopefully this helps you trigger it on your end. For what it's worth, I stopped this problem from happening by working strictly in 44.1 kHz from that point forth.

• Something that makes my TI to act ''pitchless'' is when i puch the solo button on the ti's vst!
    The problem with me is that it dosent happen few times..for me it happens all the time...and i think that when u save the problem is permenet...but i havent done the suggested thing(change the sample rate) i will try that and let u know.
    I use live 8 and have the 3.1 os..best regards to anyone trin to help.
    VS