Connecting a Virus to PC at the first time - which USB port?

• Hello everyone!

Today I will have my first Virus :) (TI2 Snow)

I need some advise which USB port I should use to connect it to my PC. I have i7 desctop PC with two USB 3.0 ports at the front of the tower, and the rear panel of the tower has two USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0.

Does it make a difference which one to use? Also I have these things connected by USB: M-Audio Soundcard, a MIDI keys, an external harddrive (and keyboard and mouse as well ofc). May it happen that some of them will fight with the Virus for bandwith and cause problems?

Thanks in advance!

• Yes, the Virus is USB 1.0 so you should hook it up to the USB 2.0. While 3.0 and 2.0 ports work, you slow down the entire bus for the lowest speed device, in this case the Virus. So the rule is:

A) Have the virus on it's own internal USB hub (the 2.0 ports should be on their own) and
    B) Don't share the hub with any other devices

Also you should know that sometimes windows allocates other things to those hubs (Like keyboard and Mouse), AND sometimes it re-uses IRQ's (Hardware requests) that the hub is connected to. If you experience many pops / clicks you might want to get familiar with the windows device manager.

• Thanks a ton! :)

As for now, it seems to work fine with rear USB 3.0. I dont use external USB hubs but afaik my USB ports may be actually hubbed within my motherboard. I'm not sure where I can see the actual design of my USB ports, are they hubbed or not, but everything works so far so I hope I won't need it.

There was a moment of frustration, though, because I've bought a used thing and the USB cable it had was bad. Virus Control was almost unusable untill I realised that I need to replace the cable.

• Re-read you post. MrMowgli

Yes, the Virus is USB 1.0 so you should hook it up to the USB 2.0. While 3.0 and 2.0 ports work, you slow down the entire bus for the lowest speed device, in this case the Virus.

This means that when I conenct Virus to USB 3.0 it shoul work fine but other devices which may share the same hub will have slow connection and may have problems? So bascially it is not the Virus what is affectedd by this way of USB connection, but other devices?

I have my Virus working fine but during the installation I occasionally plugged it into a USB 3.0 port, my undertsanding is that if I plug it into another port I should reinstall the software, should I?

• You should never have to reinstall the software from just plugging into another USB port. The problems with glitching are usually because the Virus slows everything plugged into whatever port it's plugged into to USB 1.0. That means if you have a soundcard, mouse, or anything else plugged in there that expects USB 2 or 3, it will eat up a huge amount of USB 1.0 bandwidth, since you have effectively turned that USB port into USB 1.0. SInce 1.0 isn't fast at all, and the Virus needs most of the bandwidth, anything else will eat too much and cause snaps and crackles. So plug it into 2.0, or 3.0, but don't plug anything else into the the same speed ports, because they are probably all using the same speed internal hub.

• Thanks, MrMowgli, now I have a clear picture!

Seems that the only device that could potentially cause problems in my setup should be the USB audio card but as far as I didn't experience any major issues so far since I'd changed the Virus USB cable, I suppose the soundcard uses other USB hub.

Well, If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)