Huge latency issues with 3.3.0 beta and Win7 x64.

• I thought everything was working pretty nicely after all my upgrades to win7 64, Cubase 5 and a motu 828 - but now that i've got a few patches loaded into VC at once in a project i'm finding the latency playing the TI keyboard is horrific. I can slowly tap a key, and hear no sound until my finger has already left the keyboard, any midi notes i record while it is like this are dramatically out of time, ahead on the grid by almost a 1/16th spacing! (ahead if i play the keys so i hear the sound in time.. IE i'm compensating by pressing the key almost a 16th note early, in order to hear it at the right time.)

If i change the midi channel from the TI keyboard triggering the VirusControl plugin, to triggering a regular VST, the latency dissappears and sound is heard pretty much instantly.. it is evident only when the VirusControl is the midi target.

The buffer settings are 96 samples, on a motu 828 mk3. It is not related to sound hardware / configuration because i had the same problem with my previous sound hardware, m-audio 2496. I thought the motu would solve my problems, it has eliminated the sound hardware from the equation, pointing the finger pretty squarely i believe at the VC plugin/drivers.

There is nothing else on the USB bus, only a mouse on a separated port. The motu is firewire. The rest of the system is lightning, Core i7, 6gb Ram, Velociraptor disk system.

I'm just using the USB outs to monitor and record for simplicity sake at this stage, and because the USB audio is supposed to be latency compensated, but it does not work as it should.

I would appreciate some tips to get to the source of this problem, but at this stage i suspect it is embedded in the beta virus control plugin / drivers.

• Ok i've had some time to follow this up, & re-read the cubase tutorial. I think this tutorial is really out of date, it is for cubase sx3 and an old version of virus control - and it focusses on using the virus as an audio interface, when surely the majority of people with a virus ti would be using dedicated sound hardware?

Anyway, changing the buffer sizes doesn't have a noticeable effect on the latency problem.

I loaded the cubase tutorial song, i had to remove the TI audio busses that were not mapped since i'm using external audio hardware, and add in the motu main out bus + remap the outputs. After this i got the song to play, and then experimented with adding a new part and recording from the keyboard - there was no noticeable latency during recording, all the notes sit perfectly on the grid without needing quantising and playback exactly as played in.

I can replicate this trouble free scenario by starting a blank project and adding a single part in the TI. However when i re-load the current project i'm working on, the latency from anything i play through virus control returns, and any midi data i record is as described in the original post, significantly ahead of time on the grid due to having to strike the key early to hear the sound at the correct time. The prevous two projects i've tried to use the TI in have behaved the same, fine at the beginning then as the project gets more complex and more parts are used in the TI the latency becomes unusable for recording. I'm only using 4 parts in this project from the TI, and a handful of VST's on a core i7 with 6 gig ram and nothing else on the usb bus the TI is connected to, so i can't imagine that the project is too complex for the resources i have available. The processor is not even hitting 50% load during playback.