USB and MIDI?

• Is it possible to use the Virus usb for only the editor, and then receive midi data over midi cables? I assume not. I have given up on the virus control in pro tools and just started using it with midi cables. This way my arps sync, the latency is CONSISTENT. Only thing I hate is now automation is a pain to figure out which controller does what, and I have lost the ease of use of the editor. Please access, please fix the RTAS implementation of this. I cant even use 3.3.4 because of my weird all channels on bug. I love the virus sound, but honestly if I knew I would just have to use midi cables I would have just bought a moog voyager.

• There is obviously latency using the virus over usb (and over midi). That's fine, alot of synths have some latency involved. SO I set an offset. I punched in a bunch of midi notes and turned the metronome on and, it is on tempo....for a bit...then it gets slightly off tempo, then fixes itself, then slightly off tempo then back on. It fluctuates a bit. I do NOT get this over midi cables. I put in my midi offset, and regardless of patch or anything it is on tempo. Any time I use the virus with usb I fight and fight with setting up correct midi offsets so everything plays nice. If you use live mode then that has a different offset than non live mode (I understand why), but it just becomes somewhat of a hassle to constantly change the midi offsets.

Now my midi problem I have posted before. In any version of the os above 3.1 in usb mode, channel 1, plays ALL the channels ontop of each other. The other 2-16 midi channels dont make any sound (even though the midi input bounces in the virus control). It doesn't matter what output I use.

• There is obviously latency using the virus over usb (and over midi). That's fine, alot of synths have some latency involved. SO I set an offset. I punched in a bunch of midi notes and turned the metronome on and, it is on tempo....for a bit...then it gets slightly off tempo, then fixes itself, then slightly off tempo then back on. It fluctuates a bit. I do NOT get this over midi cables. I put in my midi offset, and regardless of patch or anything it is on tempo. Any time I use the virus with usb I fight and fight with setting up correct midi offsets so everything plays nice. If you use live mode then that has a different offset than non live mode (I understand why), but it just becomes somewhat of a hassle to constantly change the midi offsets.

Now my midi problem I have posted before. In any version of the os above 3.1 in usb mode, channel 1, plays ALL the channels ontop of each other. The other 2-16 midi channels dont make any sound (even though the midi input bounces in the virus control). It doesn't matter what output I use.

are you using protools LE or protools HD? are you aware of the fact that protools LE does not delay compensate automatically and you will have to insert delay compensation plug-ins?

best, marc

• Here is a fun one. If i set a midi offset to compensate for the latency on channel 1 it works and is in time (somewhat). If I load a second channel with a patch and some midi data with the same offset, the audio is out of time for that channel. YAY!

• Here is a fun one. If i set a midi offset to compensate for the latency on channel 1 it works and is in time (somewhat). If I load a second channel with a patch and some midi data with the same offset, the audio is out of time for that channel. YAY!

i would like to try this myself. the tutorial song doesn't seem to behave that way. what happens if you switch tracks? does the signal on channel one gets a delay then? would you mind sending a project with illustrates the problem into support?

best, marc

• Wow, I am so stupid. After returning to my project I realized the offending channel was set to USB out, while the other channel was set to out 1+2. Clearly this would cause an offset in the latency. However I still have a problem with sample accuracy. Without live mode, arps have no chance to sync, I get cracks and pops, I get weird pitch shift stuff. With live mode on, I get varrying timing. I tried to add some photos to illustrate this.

The second note in a 4 note series.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.shatteredeye.com/protools/2.png]

The fourth note in the series. These are the same notes with the same midi offset.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.shatteredeye.com/protools/3.png]

notice the position of the audio in relevance to the midi note.

It is not a huge amount of change, but this change doesn't happen with midi cables.

AND I still cannot update to anything above 3.1

• "Quoted from Marc"
    are you using protools LE or protools HD? are you aware of the fact that protools LE does not delay compensate automatically and you will have to insert delay compensation plug-ins

I wondered about HD features and delay compensation, so I asked the guys from DUC (Digidesign forum) a while ago.
    It seams that HD is able to compensate latency, but what about Arps?

• Sounds interesting, thanks Marc.

Now I know there is no way to sync Virus Control and LE, and it's not a fault of Access, so there is no criticism to you guys.
    You all do a good job, and I really love my Virus forever and much longer...

But please Access, please - Write important informations like this down to your website and forward it to your support.
    As I bought my LE system I thought VC RTAS will work proper with "Total Integration", thats why I'm really diasappointed,
    and many other customers too.

In this case I probably have to update my DAW to HD.

• Now I know there is no way to sync Virus Control and LE, and it's not a fault of Access, so there is no criticism to you guys.
    You all do a good job, and I really love my Virus forever and much longer...

But please Access, please - Write important informations like this down to your website and forward it to your support.
    As I bought my LE system I thought VC RTAS will work proper with "Total Integration", thats why I'm really diasappointed,
    and many other customers too.

read the virus control tutorial for protools. it is all in there. you can get the system tight by adding delay compensation plugs to the session, it is just not automatically compensated like it would using HD (or other DAWs).

hth, marc

• Dear Marc,

The problem is relative and not absolut.
    It won't change anything to plug "Time Adjuster" into the project like I do already.

I work samplebased but arps won't sync,
    Virus Control receives / interprets the time sync from PT8 instable.

Quoted from "creap"
    However I still have a problem with sample accuracy. Without live mode, arps have no chance to sync, I get cracks and pops, I get weird pitch shift stuff. With live mode on, I get varrying timing. I tried to add some photos to illustrate this.

• arp timing as much as everything else very much benefits from delay compensation. in fact, without, you will _never_ get a good timing with the virus ti or any other plug-in reporting a latency which needs to be compensated by the host.

marc

I just wanted to comment briefly on this. My problem with arps is not really something to do with musical timing. When I say that, I mean, I have already compensated for latency in protools either using midi offsets or a delay compensation plugin or both. The arps start where I want them to start, but they seem to have a hard time staying on a consistent tempo once they do start. They are not syncing to the internal virus clock over usb. This behavior is not present over midi. No amount of automatic delay compensation inside my recording interface can fix something that seems to be happening inside the virus itself. None of my soft synths have problems with arps, none of my harware synths with usb for midi have problems with arps....only the virus ti.

Again I want to point out, that while I seem to be bashing the virus a bit, I still love this thing, it makes great sounds. I just wish I could enjoy it the way I had envisioned; as a total integration hassle free box, and with every new problem I uncover for myself, that dream drifts a little further away.

• I just wanted to comment briefly on this. My problem with arps is not really something to do with musical timing. When I say that, I mean, I have already compensated for latency in protools either using midi offsets or a delay compensation plugin or both. The arps start where I want them to start, but they seem to have a hard time staying on a consistent tempo once they do start. They are not syncing to the internal virus clock over usb. This behavior is not present over midi. No amount of automatic delay compensation inside my recording interface can fix something that seems to be happening inside the virus itself. None of my soft synths have problems with arps, none of my harware synths with usb for midi have problems with arps....only the virus ti.

so could i rephrase that correctly by saying that the arp on your setup drifts out of time after a while? how fast does this happen?

marc

• okay, i got the project. now i have to find some time to test it and help you. could you please send me an email and put as many info on your system in as possible (OS versions, sequencer versions, hardware etc ...). my email address is ms @ virus. info

thanks, marc