Very close to buying T1 Desktop ... Win7 64bit + other newbie questions ...

• Hello guys,

I am a 37 year old bedroom hobbiest 'musician', based in the UK and am very close to getting a Ti2 Desktop - but as I don't hold any aspirations of making a penny back for my tunes, it would be a big investment.

I know you are all going to laugh at me, but I'm a proud FL Studio user and won't be moving to anything else soon, as I get on well with it. But I heard rumours on their forums (from a while ago) that the Access software was not 64bit compatable yet.

Although I do see some drivers on this site now, can somewhere here confirm that they are running the VSTi software (whatever it is called) with Windows 7 64 bit without any glitches.

Also, I'm a little confused about the limitations of voices via USB 2.0 versus Midi etc. If anyone could explain what to expect or point me in the right direction, that would be helpful. Just so you know, I have a very small bedroom setup - a good PC with USB 2.0, Edirol PCR-500 controller, Genelec monitors and a small Lexicon U22 interface with only a couple of inputs and one midi in and one midi out (everything has been softsynth until now and I don't plan on getting any other hardware, so I'm happy) ... just so you know the level of 'noob' you are dealing with here :)

Does anyone have any comments about Desktop versus Full Keyboard .. i'm using my Edirol PCR-500 controller at the moment and my thinking is that money can always be spent on better controllers in the future ... just wondered what you're thoughts were. Space is a bit of an issue, although I do like the feel of a proper keyboard. Hmmm.

Finally - any comments ... I guess you are all happy with your Virus purchases, but any pitfalls for the newbie?

I realise it's a lot of questions, but I'm sure some kind soul will want to pass on their experiences ... I'm sure £1.5k was a lot of money to a few people here so you realise why I want to seperate the facts from the Virus myths and hype.

So anything is really appreciated ... I've got an unused bass guitar and a TB-6B fx rack to sell and I'm pretty much there for cash ... i've wanted one for about 12 months now and the urge is too strong :)

Thanks,

S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von SpencerSteel ()

• To answer a couple of your questions - the TI is working just fine on win7 x64, now, apart from the GUI being a little glitchy on some peoples' setups (for me it is little enough not to be a problem, and im using FL Studio here, too).

As far as I know - I don't think using the USB outputs limits your voices at all - and you don't really need to worry about limited analogue inputs, the USB channels will be fine for recording from (I have no issues, best to use Edison, though).

As for the keyboard, the keyboard on the Virus is NICE, but its only 61 keys and does add a fair whack onto the price tag - when i got my virus it was much cheaper to get a CME-UF7 instead, but no longer the case. Its just a case of whether you feel you need more keys - I've always had a set of keys dedicated to the Virus and then a different one for FL, so I can push aftertouch and things to the virus which FL wont pass through by default.

I use MID2VST from tobybear to send the midi direct to the virus VST, which block it from being used for FL, so I have a roland D50 I use to drive FL, also.

I home some of my ramblings helped a little...

• Sorry for delay in getting back - but I didn't forget you all here!

I'm really excited - my ti2 should be here around the 16th ... this coming week .. I went for the full keyboard in the end (although the Polar does win on looks!)

I'm glad you're having no problems with Win7 64 and I'm even more pleased to hear you use FL ... I may well be hounding you soon :)

Roll on next weekend ! :thumbup:

Many thanks,

S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a

• Heres a bit of stuff about voices on the TI2 , I have the TI2 desktop, its great though Ive had a few techical issues with it and Im having a lot of fun with it, its just so damn powerful and easy to edit and add effects. Anyway the geeky stuff that access sent me:-

:cursing: you can run out of voices with a single sound, depending on what kind of features you use and if the UNISON feature is in use. Example: if UNISON is set to 4 and you play a 3 notes chord, you trigger 12 voices in one go. If the sound uses a longer amplifier release time and you play 2 chords short after another, then the unit already needs to create 24 voices in one go.
    Especially DSP heavy features can reduce the amount of available voices heavily. These are:

- the reverb
    - the third oscillator
    - the analog modeling filter
    - the new oscillator types (hypersaw, wavetable, grain, formant)