Beiträge von SpencerSteel

You will only 'see' the VC pop up when you select the main 'Virus Control' plug-in. You will not see it when you click the MidiOut channels - in fact, the VC will dissapear (there is a workaround for this, "Switch off Auto-select linked modules in General Settings. The gui's remain on screen until you close them" ... this is very useful)

I'm assuming that you can hear something on the Default Virus channel but not on the MidiOuts ...

Email me on spencer at steel dot gmail dot com and I'll email you a template I made - as, to be honest, it will be easier than trying to explain your pitfalls here. I'm away from my music station and it's a bit of headache trying to describe it, but in a nutshell, you haven't set your midi/channel settings correctly on your Midi Outs or Wrapper.

Once you get your head around it, it's easy-ish :)

S.S.

Hey Timo,

Just a headsup to say that there is now some sort of "assisted PDC" in FL (version 9.1, which is in RC1 at the moment). The forums are saying this really helps - I've yet to put it through it's paces yet. 'Assisted' just means 'auto but with manual override'.

I think you might want to update this documentation if you get time, as new users are going to find this confusing I think. There's quite a few changes to the wrapper since v6 as well.

Regards,

S.S.

Not sure if this is an FL issue of a VC problem.

Another minor Virus annoyance which causes much irratation in FL.

The VSTi "Virus Control" wrapper dissapears when any other channel in FL is selected - which is a nightmare as you have to use multiple MIDI OUTS to use its multi-instruments.

Every other 3rd party plug remains open (Kontakt etc) when you select a different instrument channel, but VC doesn't.

It's beyond annoying - you have the plug-in open from the master Virus channel ... Say you then want to go to play, for example, MIDIOUT channel 4, so you click that channel - *poof* VC closes ... now, if you wanted to make any parameter change, you have to click back to the Virus master channel to re-open VC ... which then switches you to the Default channel 1 sound. Repeat until insane.

I don't quite know how I'm going to make parameter changes to any other sound that not on the default midi channel ... At the moment, I'm having to leave Channel 1 free as a 'playground' and use that as the tweeking channel, but it's an ugly workaround.

Anyone else here with FL Studio find the same?

S.S.

I'm getting hacked off with the latency in FL and Virus. I know how to use PDC and I can get songs working, but after a while of building a few parts/channels in VC the 'playing live' latency becomes unbareable - and pressing Live doesn't help. It always seems to start off OK, but gets worse as I add a few instruments. The actual 'sensed' PDC is around 82ms which is baaaaaaaad.

So, no latency in Cubase? Is that a fact - do you own it? I've heard of others complaining on here with latency issues with Cubase as well.

FYI - Reflex from Image Line is getting the Virus into his office and will are going to be checking through a few things.

If I KNEW (100% guarenteed) that 'another DAW' was having no latency problems with the Virus, I would be tempted to jump ship - but I can't get anyone to commit to saying their having no problems ... I guess this is the place for people who moan a lot and not a lot of (what must be 100s) of happy users.

S.S.

The desire will never end ...

I got a Ti2 Keyboard as well ... but now I spend most of my days obessing about getting a Polar to put on the upper teir keyboard stand.

Why? Because it looks nice and 2 is better than 1 and I'm an ungrateful spoilt b*stard. :thumbup:

Glad I got the 61 keys though ... I'm actually having 'piano lessons' again at the moment, so it is great to have the full octaves.

S.S.

RE: Vengence patches ... "128 fresh sounds, which use all the new top features of the Virus TI!
    ***you can find the sounds in the factory ROM area***. Designed by Manuel Schleis."

Does this mean they are already in the Ti2 as standard ? Confused by this statement.

S.S.

I was very, very tempted - in fact I was just about to download it ... but it's another 32 bit version only .... I've got 8 gig of RAM in my Win7 64 bit machine and some big sample VSTi (Omnisphere etc) .... at the moment I use jBridge to solve memory issues.

If Live was 64 bit *now* I would have been very excited ... however, I still might give it a whirl to see about this latency.

Interestingly the new FL 9.1 promises 'assisted PDC' (ie: 'auto' but with manual over-ride) ... let's see if that helps things as well ... i'll report back. It's due for download today I think.

Good to hear that the transistion from FL > Live was smooth though ... I am tempted. If it was 64 bit, I probably would have got my wallet out this weekend :)

S.S.

I think I'm going to download a demo on Live (if there is one) and see if it's an FL thing. If it is, it could be the final straw ... as it'll be either a new DAW or I guess getting a 'proper' mixing desk and using the non-USB outs (I assume this is the 'standard' way of doing things)

I'd love to hear from more Cubase 5, Live! people ... how are you getting on with USB + Virus ... can you 'play around' without latency ?

Thanks,

S.S.

+1 for slugginesh

Win 7 64 .. when on the brower window, it actually grinds my whole FL Studio GUI down by about 30% (the mixer meters etc) .. they stutter up and down ... hardly the end of the world, but the moment the GUI is closed, they go back to smoooooth meters.

It's a Q6600 quad, 8 gig ram - a decent system ... never seen any lag with anything else.

I'm not sure how to capture video - anyone recommend a good free capture tool and I'll try to show you ...

Hopefully there's enough of us now to prove we need a fix :)

S.S.

Hey there ...

Does everyone have the 'delay' latency when playing their Virus into their DAW. FL Studio sets the PDC at around 80-90 ms - is this high/normal ? ...

This is my first experience of external hardware and its quite frustrating as auditioning and playing 'in time' with my patterns is nearly impossible. For auditioning/experimenting with rhythm and basslines it's so hard ... the LIVE button helps a bit ... but ... well, just wondered how others are coping and if it's the norm and I just need to put up with it... seems frustrating to have spent 2k on a keyboard that does not respond. Is this the same for all external synths?

My audio device is a Lexicon U-22 and the ASIO is running at 5ms.

S.S.

If you're using something like FL Studio (guess?), then it renders MP3's etc quickly, and the synth effectively 'can't keep up' ... (simplisticaly put) ... so (as someone said above) you have to render 'real time'

Some DAW's can do this - but I know FL can't ... you've got 2 options for FL

1. Insert an "Edison" in the Master, start record and play your tune in RealTime ... save as .wav (the new version, 9.1 which is due out 12/04/10, has "Save As MP3" in Edison) ... this solution will do you if you are just wanting to export a quick 'rough cut' of your mix

2. When you're 100% happy with everything and want a proper export, bounce down your Virus tracks to .wavs in your DAW ... then export as normal.

Hope that helps ... sorry if you don't have FL, it's just I came across this very thing very recently :)

It may just be a case of rendering in realtime if you are using something else.

Good luck,

S.S.

Yeah - I guess that's the only way - it's just annoying that I can move through the Parts on the actual keyboard ... sometimes I want to set up a bunch of sounds to have a 'jam' with and then move between them without having to return to the DAW (which is out of reach a bit)

Seems slightly crazy but that's probably just because I don't know what's going on under the hood :)

S.S.

Yo!

The first of many noobish idiot questions, no doubt.

I have set up FL Studio with my Ti2 Keyboard - works fine (well, latency is starting to annoy - a different story!) ...

I have set up a few Parts in my VC ... although I can select these within the DAW, if I press the < PARTS > buttons on the actual Ti2, the display does correctly move to the next/previous part and display it on the keyboard, but the keyboard only plays the sound on the default channel (part 1) ... if that makes sense. Basically, it's moving through the PARTS but not playing them ... just whatever is on Part1.

I'm sure it's my misunderstanding of midi/audio outs or something, but I kinda hoped I could set up, say, 8 parts - and move through them on the TI itself, rather than having to return to the DAW everytime ...

See ?

Thanks,

S.S.

Thanks guys - I feel a bit better now :)

Ray - yeah, I should know better by now - just odd walking into a place for the first time - I reckon I just got unlucky with the threads I picked. The next thread I read from a guy asking for help, who's forum name is "F**K YOU" - charming :)

LfmC - great advice all around - I think you can now bounce to .wav in realtime and it will chuck it back into the playlist for you - haven't done too much with this as most of my stuff has been softsynth - but will report on my findings ... things move on pretty quick in FL world. Oh, I also got my PDC working pretty good - when you know how it's pretty easy. Next release on FL (9.1) has promised Auto-PDC, as a lot of people moan about it - but it really is simple when you know how.

Also - I'm going to steal your signature - what a brilliant layout - i'm trying to encourage the FL forum to re-introduce signatures with hardware specs like this, as it "help us help you" when troubleshooting other people's problems.

My main problem I have with the Virus is that I start one drum groove from Stylus RMX, chuck on a bit of "chaos" for variation, go to to the Virus and 3 hours later I'm still playing the same groove whilst twiddling knobs with acid arp presets. I'm not sure I'll ever get anything done :)