Virus 'delay' latency back to DAW when playing live - same for everyone?

• Hey there ...

Does everyone have the 'delay' latency when playing their Virus into their DAW. FL Studio sets the PDC at around 80-90 ms - is this high/normal ? ...

This is my first experience of external hardware and its quite frustrating as auditioning and playing 'in time' with my patterns is nearly impossible. For auditioning/experimenting with rhythm and basslines it's so hard ... the LIVE button helps a bit ... but ... well, just wondered how others are coping and if it's the norm and I just need to put up with it... seems frustrating to have spent 2k on a keyboard that does not respond. Is this the same for all external synths?

My audio device is a Lexicon U-22 and the ASIO is running at 5ms.

S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a

• Is this the same for all external synths?

There are only a few hardware synths with onboard audio-USB interfaces like the TI series, so latency for most hardware is a function of your audio interface and drivers.

I have read a lot of posts here about high latencies yet I don't experience that in my setup (Snow and a MacBook Pro) with either Live 7 or Cubase 4. I've had more problems with softsynth latencies than I have had with the Snow :thumbup:

My other synths are connected through a Focusrite Pro 40 interface and I don't feel a difference in response between them and the Snow.

80 ms would be unplayable for anyone :cursing:

• I think I'm going to download a demo on Live (if there is one) and see if it's an FL thing. If it is, it could be the final straw ... as it'll be either a new DAW or I guess getting a 'proper' mixing desk and using the non-USB outs (I assume this is the 'standard' way of doing things)

I'd love to hear from more Cubase 5, Live! people ... how are you getting on with USB + Virus ... can you 'play around' without latency ?

Thanks,

S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B