Beiträge von psylence

Sometimes I noticed that the LFO leds do not respond to the actual LFO rate set - though they are configured to do so. All 3 leds flash simultaneously, quite slow. Whats even more weird is that when this happens, they continue to flash even when the unit is turned off (TI2 desktop). The only way I found to stop this is to remove the power cable. When it happens though it seems that it happens when the unit is turned on, i.e. right at the boot stage.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a reason for concern?

I'm always surprised at your findings...
    There's a work around for that!
    Simply link filterbank frequency in the matrix to, for example, controller 12 (amount full positive +63) and assign control 12 to a soft knob. Filterbank frequency should be zero in the effects section. Then link controller 12 as a soft knob.
    Still weird!

You can disable the pitch bend per patch by setting the bend up and down values to 0 semitones. You can do that by going into the edit menu on page Common 3/3. Is that what you are looking for?

As for disabling the modwheel I can only think of editing it within the matrix menu, again per patch.

It would help if you let us know which DAW you are using. The big idea is that each of the 16 outs represents a midi channel. So you play each patch via its dedicated midi port and not through the actual plugin. Some softsynths also have this ability (i.e. more patches with just one instance - such as pretty much any spectrasonics synth) so maybe you already know how to do it.

Actually you can load 2 instances simultaneously, although you would need 2 viruses.

Meanwhile, I cannot believe you just let the virus sit there - blasphemy :)

Thank you, now man a little wiser ...And how do you see the power demand in the whole project? I can only use 3 of 16 and it's already stingy ...

You can't see how much CPU is being used for the entire machine.
    You can however be a bit careful with your patches. This is a nice thread: http://www.virus.info/forum/in…-of-your-Virus-Ti-or-Ti2/

The below is an extract from the manual, which may be also be of relevance and assistance:

About Polyphony The average number of voices the TI series (with its two DSPs) can deliver is quoted at about 80, with a maximum of more than 100. However, to reach such giddy heights, the TI makes very dynamic use of resources i.e. using certain features can lower polyphony to well below these figures. For instance, doubling the number of Unison voices e.g. from 3 to 6 will reduce polyphony by half. If you ever find you need to maximize polyphony (e.g. in Multi mode), try minimizing your use of the following “prime suspects” first: Unison mode, Reverb, Analog Filter models and Oscillator 3.

If you encounter patches' alteration like oli is mentioning above, or "note stealing", you are pushing it a bit too hard :)

On the virus screen each time you load a patch on the top right corner you can see the "complexity" of the patch loaded. It sort of looks like a smart phone battery indicator :) It is out of 5, so for instance 5 lines would mean a very complex/demanding patch while 1 line would mean it's a simple patch. Hope this helps.

Hendrik, as a loyal FL and virus user, allow me to be of assistance:

1. Link your virus software to channel 1
    2. in the virus software, make sure that in the "patch utility" tab you have selected "3 outs/no input"
    3. In the virus software, in the "common" tab, on the first out of 16 channels, select under main out USB 1 L+R
    4. In the virus software, in the "common" tab, on the second out of 16 channels, select under main out USB 2 L+R
    5. In the virus software, in the "common" tab, on the third out of 16 channels, select under main out USB 3 L+R
    Naturally you may use the outs as many times as you like on any of the 16 channels.
    6. In your FL wrapper settings, assign the outs from steps 3-5 to mixer channels. Those are the USB outs. I attach a picture for reference. In my case, usb 1 is linked to channel 1, usb 2 to ch2 and usb3 to ch3. You may also try the automap feature.

Now if you are also using analogue outs, in theory at least (never tried if it works flawlessly) you can get up to 12 mono channels in your FL mixer, by selecting all the possible mono combinations instead of steps 3-5 (i.e. out 1R, out 1L....usb 3L, usb 3R)
    ...or 6 stereo channels by selecting all 6 stero combinations (i.e. like steps 3-5 above and out1LR, out 2LR, out 3LR)

Hope this helps!

Marc, thank you for your reply and I have to admit that I see your point fully, although we also like teasers and not only surprises:) I've had a virus since 2010 and an active member of this forum for about the last couple of years, I think this may be the first time you are clarifying why you guys are not commenting on feature requests so this is very much appreciated from my side.

1. Although very few of us don't express their virus related feelings in a very polite way, rest assured that the vast majority of us provide questions, suggestions, general feedback and concerns regarding our legendary synth out of pure interest and love. And these do cover technical issues and updates. What concerns me personally above all is Access' silence.

2. This suggestion was posted many times, I'm sure Access is aware. I also included it on my consolidated ideas list (yeh I went through all the suggestions posted until the time of my OP and removed what was already done). I would also be willing to pay for an update but I'm not sure whether this expresses most of us or whether some of us will then be like "come on access you never charged us for an update why you do this now". It's a slippery road...

3. You do have, technically, 4 OSCs on the virus. Actually 5 if you also include the noise generator. You can affect the pitch of 3 of them individually. Then you also have x8 unison. If that's still not enough and/or you absolutely need 8 independent OSCs you may want to consider layering your virus patches or going the modular way. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Gonna try this too as I have a focusrite slave as well...this was an enjoyable read, thank you!

edit: just tried this...i'm stunned.

Last week i had to record a 1:24 continuous melody for a project, not an arp but a very fast staccato type of melody with power chords - I ended up recording it in 4 or 5 parts because of those syncing issues. And even then I had to further quantize my recording. Oh the pain...
    With spdif in...all recording done in 1 take. no syncing issues whatsoever. it's like a proper vst plugin!

My only issue (which was here before) is that to make it properly sync I need to turn on my virus and THEN my pc. Not sure if thats how its supposed to be but its a very simple workaround. Windows 8.1 64bit here.

Djantimatter, you have my outmost respect. I'm in love with my virus again. Thank you and bless you.

Alright I see your pov. Yes the difference in phase init is obviously there, i'm just not sure how (if) it affects the higher frequencies per OSC. I agree that the spectra will never be the same, especially if randomness exists, but the big picture is there: the OSCs sound slightly different.

Here's how it sounds here:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-37…vs-osc2-access-virus-init

Using init patch:
    -setting unison to 8 voices
    -setting unison detune to 58
    -setting phase init to 1 (so both osc start their wavecycles from the start)

First 4 plays OSC 1 solo
    Then 4 times OSC 2 solo
    Then setting detune from 58 to 0 (unison still = 8 voices)
    First 4 plays OSC 1 solo
    Then 4 times OSC 2

btw its funny how op is not sharing more thoughts but I quite enjoy this conversation :)

If OSC1 and 2 are indeed not exactly the same, then maybe with unison applied this difference/randomness is emphasized. Even "randomness" is coded, which may be applied differently to the OSCs. Naturally I could be wrong!

Regarding initial phase, the above spectra displayed are the loudest that occurred in that 10 seconds interval. By the end of the 10 seconds, thousands of cycles have finished; I don't see how initial phase can affect the end/displayed result. I would like to understand though. Even with initial phase employed, OSC 1 has still louder higher FQs than OSC 2, at least here.

Btw, if it matters, phase initialization is not the same for OSC 1 and 2. For OSC 1, 0=random, any other value it forces the cycle to always start at the middle from the beginning of the cycle. So its more like an on/off button. For OSC 2, 0=random and any other value is the point you would expect a wave cycle to start (like the virus' LFOs).

I didn't want to "advertise" the plugin, although I'm very very happy with it, but since you are asking, it is Fabfilter Pro Q2 :)