Beiträge von flabberbob

Can you find a different USB port where the bandwidth is not shared with another device?
    If not, can you find a port where the other devices are neither USB1.1 devices, communication devices, nor storage devices?
    If all the above fails, you may have to install a USB PCI adapter, or use an external hub which MUST have a multi-TT chipset and connect through either of those.

If one DAW works and another doesn't, my guess is that either the misbehaving DAW was not installed 100% properly, it is not updated to the most recent patch, or you should review this DAW's VST configuration and see how you can optimize it.

Just a question regarding the grounding issues - I am guessing you are referring to some kind of mains hum... If you were using headphones you shouldn't have been affected by any grounding issues, since headphones are passive. So I'm guessing you used the L/R out. Did you use balanced cables? They should have canceled out any type of this problem, given that the leads were not defective. You can check that with a multimeter - check that the tips, rings and sleeves (or X, L and R) give ~0 ohm resistance from one side of the cable to the other.
    But I agree with you that the snow is a bad choice if you are looking for 1/2 and 3/4 outs, the other TIs will give you even a 5/6.

The MIDI clock sync can be set from one of the MIDI pages of the config menu ("config" panel button). I don't use the ARP option much since I play my own arpeggios which are more complex then what a computer can generate, but I tried it out once and was let down. It could be that a SW reset might solve it (powering up while the ARP's "edit" button is pressed).

you can use patches created on older models with newer ones (e.g. a Virus B patch work in a Virus TI). but it doesn't work well the other way around, especially with Virus TI sounds due to a format change.
    best, marc

I would like to join Andy-Robert79's question: I noticed that with the Virus C, soundsets of a whole bank (128 patches) are ~34KB and with the Virus TI, whole bank soundsets are ~66KB. This is due to the format change, isn't it?. IIRC, The Virus C saved its sysEx in two pages (high and low). How is it done with the TI? Where in the manual is it explained? Does it have a new product ID in the sysEx dump compared to the C?

Are these sounds phat, or are they dirty?
    Anyways, the character of this bass is that the oscillators are used in layers, each at a different octave, starting from the sub oscillator, which is always an octave below oscillator 1 (IIRC - correct me if I'm wrong, I always tend to forget this), and oscillator 2 can be +12 semitones, and you can even use oscillator 3 the same way. Further detuning / hypersawing / chorusing / phasing / unison can make it even more fuzzy.
    The clip was too short to get an impression of the lead, but while it doesn't seem to have that many layers, the fuzzyness explained above seems to come into play there. It also has some attack that is achieved by lowering the sustain of the ADSR curve.

OK, let's separate this into two questions. The VC/VSTi saves the patches in files of .mid format which is in fact a MIDI stream containing the sysEx data that represents the patch (or patches). If you have a friend with an older model you can send them the .mid file, and all they have to do is to set their Virus into whatever sysEx receive mode they are used to working with, and play that .mid file to the Virus (preferably in tempo < 100 BPM).

The problem is that newer models have additional features that are not supported by the older ones, so when you design a sound that is intended for an older model you need to first check what is the difference in capabilities and design your sound accordingly (e.g. there is no use in setting the oscillator to wavetable in a patch for a Virus A).

One way is to use the VSTi's common tab to send different parts to one of the Virus' 3 USB outputs (you can even route one part through the analog output).
    The way I work is to first finish tracking the piece, then render each track separately, and apply the effects on the rendered tracks.

The simple answer is: yes.
    The complicated answer is that the TI runs the same algorithms and data for equivalent elements of the A, B and C -- meaning oscillators, filters etc. The only differences can come from hardware, as different CPUs and DSPs tend to have slight differences in their floating point calculations. The compiler that translates the coded algorithms into machine code usually knows how to overcome this, and it could be that the Virus is not that floating point intensive.

If you are looking to change the tuning of a certain part, it is done from the multi edit menu (transpose and detune menu items).

If you are looking to change the tuning interactively while playing, as you would use a pitch bend wheel, you can assign a knob to oscillator 1 and oscillator 2 pitch.