Beiträge von trhoffend

The state variable representation of the Virus filters probably have a feedback block in them already. I would guess that the drive would be some sort of nonlinear wave shaping block that models the nonlinear response of semiconductor (or vacuum tube) current-voltage relationships outside of a particular range of inputs.

I don't think my TI2 will ever come close to replacing my Eurorack modular and vice versa. There are just way too many patch points and routs possible on the modular. Also I can add features at will by acquiring more modules. The modular is not going to do high polyphony or chords any time soon (though with my Morphing Terrarium it does wave table scanning). My opinion is sort of in the other direction; that is I think an analog modular and a TI2 complement each other quite nicely. This is one of the reasons why I got the TI2.

I also am a fan of ACE. It sounds great, is priced quite well, and for me is fun to program. DCAM Synth Squad does a pretty nice job at analog emulation as well.

I am a new user and I was aware that the comb filter is not a filter choice when I bought the TI2, but I would also like to add my voice to the request to include it as a filter choice. I have a Q Phoenix keyboard and a Blofeld and owned a microQ at one time, and the comb filter for those is one of my favorite filters on those synths. Besides getting Karplus-Strong style sounds they also do a wonderful job in the signal path for mangling/morphing/distorting the input waves. Morphing the feedback with a mod wheel or other mod source is a favorite technique for me. A table indicating frequency and key tracking parameters that enable playing of the comb filter as an oscillator would also be required (Waldorf provides these in the Q and Blofeld manuals).

As a new user of the TI and also fairly new to the Virus A, I would also like to see a much-improved manual. I read the manuals for all my gear, usually before I buy. For the TI, I also watched all of the tutorials here and the boot camp videos on Vimeo. The tutorials and boot camp videos were instrumental in selling me on the TI. This is probably something that Access should know.

A well-written manual should have diagrams and associated text covering the structure of the synth, the function of every I/O port, and the function every section of the front panel. All of the internal parameters should be covered in detail, referenced in an index, and refer back to the method of adjusting the parameter using the front panel and Virus Control.

Hey all, I am a multi-instrumentalist (guitar, mandolin, piano, modular and other synthesizers), I go by "Gribs" on various other forums but ended up with a name closer to real life here...

I am really into music technology and making experimental sounds as much as music. Musically I am eclectic and open-minded. I like just about everything from bluegrass to evil death metal to Berlin School to traditional jazz and classical. Professionally I am trained as an EE and applied mathematician and I work in computational modeling - mostly optics nowdays - at an industrial research lab here in Minnesota (3M).

About 5-6 weeks ago, I received a Virus A in a combo trade from a fellow modular synthesizer enthusiast via the muffwiggler forum. I decided that I liked it so much that I would upgrade to a TI2 some time. I took advantage of a recent sale and just received my TI2 desktop today. I am happy to say that it is working just fine with Ableton Live on my Windows 7 64 bit system; my TI2 is playing the Ableton demo song that came with the documentation. I built this computer only a couple of months ago. It has an Asus P8Z68-5 Pro/Gen3 motherboard which has tons of USB outs in the back, including USB3. I found like others previously here that the USB ports on the back of the motherboard do not function with the TI2. However, I already have a couple of USB ports on my case front panel hardwired to the direct ports on the motherboard, and those are working fine with the TI2. So I guess the ports on the back, including the USB3, are not compatible.

I am especially looking forward to playing with the wavetable oscillators and comb filter and experimenting with ambient sounds to complement my modular and other synths.

I am not sure if I am going to sell/trade the A series Virus or keep it as an extra sound module. It is a different beast and I sort of like its older and more raw sound.