New TI2 old Virus A

• Hey all, I am a multi-instrumentalist (guitar, mandolin, piano, modular and other synthesizers), I go by "Gribs" on various other forums but ended up with a name closer to real life here...

I am really into music technology and making experimental sounds as much as music. Musically I am eclectic and open-minded. I like just about everything from bluegrass to evil death metal to Berlin School to traditional jazz and classical. Professionally I am trained as an EE and applied mathematician and I work in computational modeling - mostly optics nowdays - at an industrial research lab here in Minnesota (3M).

About 5-6 weeks ago, I received a Virus A in a combo trade from a fellow modular synthesizer enthusiast via the muffwiggler forum. I decided that I liked it so much that I would upgrade to a TI2 some time. I took advantage of a recent sale and just received my TI2 desktop today. I am happy to say that it is working just fine with Ableton Live on my Windows 7 64 bit system; my TI2 is playing the Ableton demo song that came with the documentation. I built this computer only a couple of months ago. It has an Asus P8Z68-5 Pro/Gen3 motherboard which has tons of USB outs in the back, including USB3. I found like others previously here that the USB ports on the back of the motherboard do not function with the TI2. However, I already have a couple of USB ports on my case front panel hardwired to the direct ports on the motherboard, and those are working fine with the TI2. So I guess the ports on the back, including the USB3, are not compatible.

I am especially looking forward to playing with the wavetable oscillators and comb filter and experimenting with ambient sounds to complement my modular and other synths.

I am not sure if I am going to sell/trade the A series Virus or keep it as an extra sound module. It is a different beast and I sort of like its older and more raw sound.