Beiträge von ozon

or could be its not getting enough power from USB because the battery shows low on the hardware display ....

what do you mean by that? What indicator? And do you have the power supply of the Snow connected?

but why is this Ti Snow is so complicated ... Can be easy like other Maschine ...

The Virus TI is a very powerful synth. And all those other hardware products don't offer Total Integration. It's like saying «I had a VW and a Ford and a BMW and a Citroen, and they all are easy to handle. So why do I have such a hard time driving my Ferrari?»

Way cool!

Tried the Comb Filter trick and it works really well. You can even put the Filterbank mix on a Soft Knob or automate it to get additional spacial movement.

isn't that a bit academic? of course, if you remove the part which holds the serial number and replace it you need to look at the part which you've just replaced. we do not ship Virus Desktops with pre-installed mounting kits.

It's not academic if you bought your Virus TI2 Desktop second hand and it comes with the rack mount kit. Most buyers won't know that the SNR isn't available and most sellers will probably not think of that fact anymore or even have lost the original floor shell. I just thought it's a bit of information that could be helpful with second hand units.

(or not at all, if it's a TI2 Desktop with a rack mount kit)

AFAIR, you can also see the serial number in the Virus Control Center software.
    (and it's used as a directory name in the preferences for VCC and VC, but to find that is more for the geeky geeks...)

My Darkstar came with a printed and nicely written Quickstart-Guide. That's fine for hooking it up and play the first patches, but afterwards it's getting a little manual-confusing where and which PDF to go on, as the online Tutorials and Setup Guides are not well organized and not always the newest.

True. And that was my main gripe at the beginning as well. It helps to not use every mode and aspect of the Virus (TI) at once but focus on a certain aspect and reading as much as you can about that in those manuals. For example, did I only the Virus as a standalone synth for a couple of weeks before I tried to use the Virtual Control plugin from within Cubase.

Also, if you have a problem, search this forum. You'll most probably find a couple of helpful threads which cover your questions. I think just recently, Marc posted new song templates for Logic on here. And you can always contact Access Music.

But as soon as the USB-Link is established (MacBook Pro OsX10.9), the Unit switches to "Local Off", even if no application is active. Is there a way to leave Local On while connecting the device via USB without switching it back on in Config Menu at the Unit.

Unfortunately not, AFAIK.

For your other question, I know it's pretty easy to get your routing right using the NI Komplete Audio/Midi interface and the Virus in Cubase and Mainstage. Everything shows up automatically in the Mac Audio Midi Setup app. Shouldn't be much different for Logic

from the Virus Control Tutorial, page 14:

Zitat von Virus Control Tutorial

How to make new libraries

• In the Virus TI/Patches folder, create a new folder called ‘MyPatches’
    • Copy/Paste the le ‘My Patches.mid’ to this folder
    • Rename the copy e.g. ‘My Patches 1.mid’
    • Repeat steps 2 and 3 as many times as required, incrementing the version number each time
    • Use VirusControl to delete the patches in the additional copies.

I created quite a lot of VC user libraries (ROM Favorites, Pads, Leads, Basses) and just copy a preset into them if I like it. This method results in a lot of preset shuffling, though.

But I always wondered about the intention behind the "Favorites" category, if used on a (ROM centric) hardware.
    Also, I wonder how to properly use the category browsing on the hardware...

Just to confirm we're talking about the same thing:

- Load a patch from ROM which does not show the E
    - Fiddle with some knobs, e.g. change the filter cutoff

Does the patch now show the E in front of the name?

Found this alternative method also:

https://synthmorph.com/blogs/n…mper-synthesizer-tutorial

"Tip #5: Detuning Osc 1 pitch with an LFO set to square."
    Haven't tried it yet. I assume "increasing or decreasing the amount" is referring to the modulation amount and gives you positive or negative detune. Nothing is said about LFO rate.

I found and tried that as well. It's also found on page 93 in the Virus Tutorial "Programming Analogue Synths" by Howard Scarr. IMO, there are a couple of things not said in this tip. Additional to using a square wave in the LFO, I also had to set the LFO to envelope mode and put the Contour all the way to the left side. Then it worked, which makes sense because it means that the LFO actually is generating a fixed positive value.

we are just backordered on Polars. it'll take a couple of days, that's all.

(And there goes my hope for the TI3 announcement... ;) )

Thanks Marc. Odd, that the distributor didn't inform the dealer about this.

a bit expensive for a plugin....

50€ to get TI capabilities for an old Virus is not expensive, IMO.

MidiQuest pro is much more expensive (at least last time I checked) but if it covers lots of other synths you own, that might be your best option.

Every now and the I run into a problem which could be described similarly.

In my case the reason was the following:
    In the mod matrix, those patches were using the the source «Arp > Input» to modulate Transpose, but the Arp was switched off, so there was no input to properly transpose them. So those patches were playing at maximum negative transposition. Very, very low. Which made the sound like completely distorted.

All I had to do was to switch off the «Arp > Input» source in the Mod Matrix.

Interesting news: Last week, I wanted to order a new Polar for my home studio and was informed by my dealer that they are not available anymore in Switzerland. No ETA, nothing. It sounded as if they ran out of production?

I'm no electrician but I think it has something to do with power cable & synth not being grounded properly since it only has 2 pins ( i have now added a 3 pin adaptor to the end of the power cable), and somehow current is leaked from the cable passing through the main board causing the synth to crash due to unregulated current.

Thanks for the detailed report. It's never a good idea to power devices which are designed to be grounded through ungrounded cables/connectors.

Seems like you've found the solution to your problem!