Beiträge von ozon

The Virus Control Center application and the Virus Control plugin do different things. Both are installed by the Access Virus TI Software installer which can be downloaded from the Access website.

Generally speaking:
    - The VCC application is used to maintain your Virus, like making backups of the complete synth, burning preset banks to ROM and updating the firmware
    - The VC Plugin is an Editor and Librarian for the Virus TI and is used from within your DAW to integrate the Virus hardware synth as if it was a AU/VST plugin synth. VC is also great to create or tweak presets and to manage preset banks.

For further information, please consult the documentation which is also available online.

Just tried that with my Darkstar TI2: It's also on "auto" and always goes into "synced to host" when USB and connection to DAW is established regardless of whether the Synth or the Mac is switched on first.

Thank you for giving this issue some thoughts!

I could be wrong, But is the issue your facing just distortion?

I don't think so, at least not in a typical "audio distortion" way. If it happens, certain notes will sound like whole chip tune melodies before settling on the final (correct) note. And it also happened on very simple patches while I was exploring FM without any effects on. But you could be right with your assumption that the added amplitudes produce some sort of overflow which lead to completely wrong results for the calculated waveform.

I just tried that myself and come to the following conclusion: Unison detune introduces some randomness in a way that if you hit a key ten times in a row, each note will sound slightly different. If you keep hitting the same note with Unison 8 detune 58 you'll hear that sometimes it will sound considerably thinner and sometimes darker. This is due to the initial phase of the voices. If you set Phase Init to a fixed value, every note sounds the same, also if blending between OSC 1 and 2. And there is no difference at all if Unison is off. At least not one I can see or hear.

psylence: what spectrum analyzer did you use? Looks nice!

Yes. Copy the RAM bank to a new MIDI file (bank, e.g. "myPresets.mid") in Virus Control Plugin.
    Then use Virus Control Center application to burn the presest of that bank ("myPresets.mid") to any of the ROM banks.

set the unison voices to 8

This is new information, and changes the game. Unison introduces a good deal of random changes to the sound for each note. It's quite possible that Access decided to use different pitch randomization for OSC 1 and 2 which may lead to the impression of a duller sound. However, I have to try myself.

How did you determine it was always just the first wave of the selected wavetable? I thought it sounded more like it was trying to trigger all the waves in a table simultaneously or something!

Oh that was more of an assumption with a selection of waves I tried. But on closer inspection and with the help of an oscilloscope, I'm not so sure anymore. Could be any of the waves, it's really hard to tell.

Above text adapted.

What really concerns me a lot is the mod wheel snapping up to 100%

That could be a bad Mod Wheel indeed. If you received that many broken units, I'd question Guitar Center's way of treating their merchandise! I've read pretty bad stories regarding guitars and basses.

Have you experienced delays still working while global delay i disabled? I can't figure that one out.

You have to re-load the patch after you changed the global setting. Same is true for Reverbs. IMO, that's not a bug but intended behavior.

With FM Mode set to "Wave", the modulator is not always the selected wave.

Use these settings to verify:
    - OSC 1 & 2 in Classic mode
    - OSC 1 FM Mode "wave"
    - OSC 1 & 2 with sine wave
    - OSC Balance all the way to OSC 2
    - OSC 1 transpose -48
    - OSC 2 transpose +48
    - Patch transpose -48
    - dial in a small amount of FM (< 10%)

Now change the wave form of OSC 1 and hear how the FM of OSC 2 is affected:
    - From 0 to 50% (Sawtooth): The modulator is always the selected wave (Sine, Tri, Complex 3-64)
    - From 50% to 100% (Pulse): The modulator is always a rising (!) Sawtooth

Change OSC 1 to Wavetable and try the same as above, with similar result:
    - From 0 to 50%: The modulator is always the same wave of the selected Wavetable
    - From 50% to 100%: The modulator is always a rising Sawtooth

See this discussion:
    Spectral Wave/Square Blend Workaround?

I think (!) the main difference between looping in Logic and looping in Live is that Logic "jumps back in time" and therefore sends a MIDI song position pointer change while Live just keeps the time line flowing and repeats the section of notes. Maybe there's a setting in Logic to change MIDI SPP behavior.

well... not really. I'd like to know whether SEQ Mode will provide the full voice count, and if not, why. One thing I can imagine is that in SEQ Mode, the two CPUs are more strictly bound to the MIDI channels in order to achieve a predictable voice stealing behavior.

OK. That's weird about the LFO's!

Regarding the Delay: It's normal behavior -- When you have the Delay off, no parameters are available but as soon as you switch it on (Send amount) then it shows the pages available for that selected delay type.

But it could be that the Virus played those notes with, say 4 instead of 8 voices. You wouldn't have noticed the difference.... at least I'd probably not hear it with a 13 note chord.

You are right! FM does not work as you would expect!

- From 0 to 50% (Sawtooth): The modulator is always the selected wave (Sine, Tri, Complex 3-64)
    - From 50% to 100% (Pulse): The modulator is always a rising (!) Sawtooth

This can be clearly heard when you transpose OSC 1 to -48, OSC 2 to +48 and play in the lowest available octave.
    Bug, IMO.