Beiträge von ozon

Oh, I was actually asking about the pedal.

Using MIDI by itself is going to introduce latency by the nature of it. It is a serial protocol at a rather slow speed.

A MIDI merger will not introduce more latency than daisy chaining MIDI devices by using IN and OUT. Naturally the quality of the device does matter.

Sounds great, would take me 5 years to figure that out. I'm 46 and I got into this stuff way way too late. Everybody else is an expert, because they've been doing this since 1988. I'm beyond frustrated. I have no friends that are into this stuff and I'm on my own. I'm trying to set this up in logic. I'm watching videos that are 10 years old on youtube that are blurry as hell, in another language with no talking.

I'm 49. Started with Maschine 3 years ago. Added the Sub37 in February and the Virus TI in May. I spendseveral months just figuring out the Virus before I ever tried to use VC with a DAW!

However, I did some MIDI stuff back in the day, using Notator on the Atari ST. Must have been around '86.

Guys, here's the deal. What I'm trying to do is not overly complicated. If I should get rid of my maschine studio, let me know. I am simply making drum tracks in maschine, have it loaded in Logic X, and I'm using the Virus for synth sounds.

So you have VC running inside Maschine running inside Logic? If this is the case, then the following is the answer:

you should use Virus Control in Logic. That way you're working with a supported hosts and you'll get more than one channel.

There's no need to run VC inside Maschine if you have Maschine running in Logic!
    Have them running side by side. Both are Multi-Timbral instruments.

I ended up ditching the maschine in the end.

There's way too much Maschine bashing in this thread for me. Maschine is a great product, but it's not a DAW! As already said, it's a very elaborate groove box, running on your computer, with a hardware controller attached. And therefore, it offers a workflow and can do things that DAWs generally can't do! Keep doing your beats in Maschine. Keep writing your synth lines and recording all your other stuff in Logic. Whether you have Maschine running within Logic, or prefer to work with it in standalone mode doesn't matter. That's what I ended up with. The cool thing with that approach is, that for a future live performance it's pretty easy to just use Maschine in standalone for the beats and manually play the synth parts (using the Virus Arpeggiator with User Patterns and the Sub37 Step Sequencer) -- that rocks pretty hard.

Can you post an audio clip? I think it sounds fine here...

Edit 1: there's chaos here at D5+...it sounds like a really fast telephone

That's exactly what I mean! I had that happen mostly on F4, F#4 and G4 (I think, not 100% sure about the correct octave description, but on the Darkstar in the middle octave without transposition)

PS: For me it happens mostly when playing those notes in a line with other notes.

You bought two phantastic hardware synths, which are made to work like instruments normally do: You play them and record the performance. And they both work great that way if paired with a classic DAW like Logic or Cubase. The Virus TI even offers 16 part multi timbrality and total integration in your DAW... but it doen'st turn your hardware into a VST plugin of which you can use as many instances as you want. However, as I already wrote on the Moog forum: Maschine is a world of its own and has a very different workflow than any other DAWs. It's a groove box "in the box" and mainly made to work with samples and VST plugins.

I think the basic concept with using multi timbral VSTs in Maschine would be to load the VST in one slot (e.g. group A sound 1) and the route all the other "sounds" to the first one but on different MIDI channels.

Maybe it helps to search for "using Maschine with Kontakt" because Kontakt is by NI and multi timbral. I guess someone would have made a tutorial for that.

Try the following:
    - Use a new Init patch
    - OSC 1 Sine: Transpose + 36
    - OSC 2 Square: Transpose 0, Detune 0
    - Phase Init: 38
    - FM Amount 43%
    - OSC Balance 100% (only OSC 2)
    - Transpose + 12
    - Analog Boost 0

Play notes in the C3/C4 octave:
    --> everything sounds fine, pitch is correct

Now add
    - Activate Delay: Simple Delay, Clock 1/8, Feedback 32%
    - Activate Reverb: Large Room, Decay 68, Damping 15.6%

Play notes in the C3/C4 octave:
    --> for some notes the pitch is totally off, and if those are held then there's playing some sort of pitched sequence which eventually resolves to the correct pitch and stays there.

Patches to test attached.

I meant in the context of using one but only plugging the virus into it. I go straight into a mac book pro from the TI2. Any benefit of using a 3.0 hub for it?

Not if you don't have anything else connected to any of the USB ports.

If there's any other device hooked up to your MacBook's USB ports, the chances are that you will benefit from an MTT Hub.

What does the USB hub accomplish?

Give you additional independent USB ports. Also an MTT hub will optimize the speed of every single port to the connected device, and not slow down all ports to the slowest connected device. I.e. the Virus (which is on USB 1.1) will get a connection optimized for its needs while the other ports on the hub still work as USB 2.0 or 3.0 with whatever speed the attached the device can handle.

What good is a USB 3 hub if my computer only has USB 2?

Sorry, I didn't realize your computer is still on USB 2.0. You can naturally try to get a 2.0 Hub with MTT. However, I wouldn't spend money on outdated USB technology.

I don't think this is related to audio streaming at all. It's audible that the MIDI notes which the Virus Control (VST) sends to the Virus (Synth Hardware) are shorter than they should. It's obvious that the note information is wrong, because characteristic behavior of mono sounds like glides do not happen anymore. The audio itself is fine.

Virus TI2 and Moog Sub37 is a nice combo, especially since you can run the Sub37 audio through the Virus FX section!

Regarding keyboards: You could really use the Moog as your main controller keyboard since it has a nice keybed which also sports usable aftertouch.

Or, depending on your space/money situation, rather exchange the TI Desktop for a Polar/Darkstar. Which is what I did for my home studio because I felt the need to have a more direct approach to the Virus.

The TI should work just fine with the OS you have. Get a good (!) USB 3 hub which dies proper switching and plug the Virus there. Unfortunately it's difficult to find god USB hubs, and they are generally rather expensive because you have to go for professional business/industry components not home/consumer devices.

PS: I got an Exsys EX-1188HMS hub which has the GL3520 USB 3.1 Gen 1 MTT Hub Controller. Works perfectly!

I also created a new library with the save patch dialog, and it doesn't seem to exist now after I've closed the save window.

Where is that "Save Patch" dialog? How do I get into that? I never found out how to create a new library file from within VC...