Beiträge von Roby31

I was referring to the other user ;) I already know you didn't get your stickers in the box, but a box missing the PS, stickers and maybe something else doesn't feel right. I don't think it's left the factory with all that stuff missing.

Was the box sealed? The stickers should have been with the extra knob, the little plastic feet, the warranty card and the red card telling you to get here and download the TI installer.

:love: I can't wait to try it

edit: oh Mighty Odin, yes. This feels fantastic. A little too low contrast in the Matrix and in the Soft Knob functions, but overall it seems really really good.

HS's tutorial predates the TI line and I can access (no pun intended) it on my mobile phone. I had read it long before I bought my Virus :)

You 1.5A power supply could work given that most synths I know have a current draw between 1000 and 1500 mA. I don't know about the Virus and can't seem to find it giving a glance at the manuals. Still, it's better to contact support. If the unit was brand new, I have the feeling they'll issue a new psu.

It seems decent to me. Just be sure it is in perfect working order. I've seen (and see usually) both Virus A desktop and B desktop going for more than 600$ here in Europe. Check the conditions if you can and obviously read a bit on the internet about the features it doesn't have when compared to the C and the TI to see if you're going to miss them or not.

Mostly you lose the additional oscillator modes (grain, formant, wavetable, hypersaw); the alternate filter mode (analog emulation); some of the FX and the ability to have per-part FX instead of global ones; no eq and only the legacy distortion/saturation modes; polyphony "only" up to 24 voices. There's probably something else but these are the main features that come to my mind.

1. It requires a decent rca cable, not any could do - some of them don't have the required 75Ohm resistance.
    2. If anything, analog has less quality as it has 2 DA/AD conversions, while SPDIF doesn't require any.

Yes you are correct in the fact that you probably can't get the Virus do 16 parts at once (please, really try it on every other 16 part synth and tell me the results :) I know I can't go more than 5 on most synths I played, between 3 and 6 on my uQ, between 7 and 12 on my Virus) but those things are normal and that's why I suggested you read a bit about DSP synths (not strictly DSP chips). There are some designs with a fixed number of voices in which, no matter what, you'll always get the same amount of voices - such a design might seem good but as there's no way to always have a thousand voices in DSP you never get much multitimbrality at a time. Flexible designs, like the Virus, allow for very variable voice counts and can give you different results depending on voice complexity. This should point you in the direction of using the multi modes with a bit of pre-thinking: just don't load everything at once, try to keep some sounds simple (btw, 8 complex sounds ALL AT ONCE are a good way to make a mix sound like shite) and so on. Balance your even numbered and odd numbered parts (In the Virus, one of the DSPs does parts 1-3-5-7.. and the other does 2-4-6-8...).

When working with hardware you have to integrate it in your workflow, you can't expect it to work that close to a plugin. TI is notably close, but the sound generation is still made in the hardware and that's where hardware gets you. That's what people should read for and be prepared for. And that's what most people complaining have never done and are not ready to accept. Not your case, but a very common case.

To your specifical matter - maxing out the polyphony has never caused stuck notes on my Virus. I had it happen a couple of times and it turns out my keyboard didn't send the Note Off - probably its cpu was doing too much things and the data got messed. Try to do a couple of things: play the Virus as you would normally, but keep an eye on the lcd: the lower right corner gives you info about receiving notes (a "full" note means it's receiving notes on the current midi channel, an "empty" one indicates it's receiving notes on another channel). Also, Complexity meter: upper right corner, the meter there indicates the complexity of a path - try not to load too many sounds with 5 bars, and balance them between even and odd parts. Try to understand what is going wrong. If you can't figure it out, e-mail support as soon as you can, they're helpful and can both point you to the right direction or understand if the problem is not something related to what you do. All I can say as a user, is that it's not the normal behavior of the Virus. I've been hogging it until it couldn't handle any more notes and still have it work as supposed with the normal voice drops, no random sounds or failures.

It "stacks up" having the same engine minus a whole lot of cool features. It sounds louder due to having less maximum polyphony, something untrained people perceive as "better" (tip: your ear will always think a loud sound is better than its quiet identical counterpart)