Beiträge von DJRobertV

Ok well seen! THANKS.
    For my part, it doesn't reproduce my good, very fine patches as well... no big deal.

When I compare it sounds exactly the same for all patches, Ostirus and TI2 hardware, no difference to me, it might be subjective. Which makes sense because they did a exact 1:1 emulation of the Motorola DSP56xxx chip of the Virus TI/2, and you use the same ROM file of your TI/2 hardware synth.

Sorry, I can not help you with that. You can only use the rom (.bin) file that you have installed with your virus hardware synth.

Now that the Access Virus TI series has been formally discontinued, a group of software developers/music enthousiasts have created an open source emulator of the Virus TI/TI2 “OsTIRus” which they claim sounds the same as the hardware version. They haved Reverse Engineered and Emulated the Motorola DSP563xx chip. This DSP has been used in plenty of virtual analogue synthesizers and other musical gear that was released after around the mid 90s, such as Access Virus A, B, C, TI / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Waldorf Q, Microwave II / Novation Supernova, Nova and many others.

I thought I can post this now here because it is a public release formally announced on their website.

Apparently it is not illegal to build and share an emulator as long as you don't share the corresponding ROM files of the hardware (which would be illegal).

The emulator is available in a Au/clap/VST2-3 version both for Mac and Windows, and has been released on 22th April 2024 to the public.

It was been developed and tested last year in a small online community with donations, and now is public released. I tried it and it works flawlessly, you can load/tweak any existing virus ti/2 soundbank and you can create your own sounds, just like the hardware version. Either fully in VST mode and/or use your virus TI to control the VST, even in Mac (M1). I can't hear any differences to be honest, but this could be personal taste/opinion. I do own an Access Virus TI2.

It also works with the virus software or Aura plugin to manage your patches.

The latest version of the VST also has a sophisticated patch manager built in, including selections of categories, tags and favourites.

The only requirement is that you have the original ROM file that comes with your Virus hardware synth, together with the VS file.

Please note that the ROM file is copyrighted, so only for rightfully Access Virus owners to use this and should not be obtained in any other way, because that could be considered illegal.

You can read about that here as well in th FAQ: https://dsp56300.wordpress.com…-faq-access-virus-ti-snow

There was already a version of the Virus A/B/C called “Osirus” which needs the rom file of these virus synths A/B/C.

If you want, give it a try, I think it is a tribute to all Access Music and all Access Virus owners to make sure the legend continues.

You can continue to use your Virus TI/2 together with this emulator on a recent Mac (M1), which is a big plus.

Website developers:

DSP56300 Emulation Blog
    Emulating the Access Virus C & other virtual analogue synthesizers
    dsp56300.wordpress.com

Update, I managed to get it to work, created 1 midi track formulating and 3 audio tracks for audio routing.

Grouped these into 1 track as virus engine.

Added extra midi tracks for the actual music patterns.

So, within 1 day after my purchase of my virus ti2 I can say it actually works with Mac m1 on latest os Ventura 13.x

With the aura plug-in.

I have installed the setup of my new Access Virus TI2, Macbook Pro M1 Ventura, ableton live, and Aura plugin.

Managed to get MIDI and Audio to work over USB runining Aura plugin in Ableton however the Midi data played by Virus is not in sync.

Looks like a latency issue.

When I play the Virus directly in the DAW, without using the auro plugin the Midi plays fine.

Seems there is a latency in using the plugin.

Ashame, as I cant use the library/sound editor

I have tried all settings in Ableton already, not sure what could be wrong with the Midi/USB setup

Good morning,

I had the same decision to make, desktop or keyboard version, and yesterday I decided for the desktop version.

Mainly because of the following reasons:

- space, the Virus keyboard is a big instrument (37 cm wide), and I also have another midi control keyboard

- i'm using ableton live and I wish to have a good controller keyboard that is easy to use with Ableton, as such I have the Novation SL 61 MK3 as main midi keyboard, which has aftertouch and semi weighted keys; The keyboard can also control the virus desktop directly via Midi Out and Virus control template in the menu.

I thought about to buy the keyboard version and use that as main midi controller, also for Ableton Live, but I was not sure how that would work with USB integration.

The Virus TI keyboard is one of the best people say (fatar keys).

Any of the 2 will be a good choice.

It all depends on your own preferences and setup.

Today I bought a used TI2 desktop version from 2020 in immaculate condition, even the plastic foil on the display was still on it.

I also got a load of additional soundbanks with it, dance orientated.

Several options to connect:

- standalone via Midi Out/In from my Novation SL61 MK3 control keyboard, which has a template for Virus TI for mapping of the controls. More for jamming.

- USB to MacbookPro with Aura Virus plugin for USB Midi/Audio, Novation also via USB; I purchased a license for the software.

I use Ableton Live suite 11, Macbook Pro M1 Os 13.7 Ventura

Downloaded all the manuals. reading time ......

I have connected the Novation SL61MK3 with MIDI out/in to the Virus TI, just to check out some patches.

The sound is really amazing, I can certainly hear the difference with my VST audio in Ableton.

Im happy :) :)

At lot to read, try and learn.

Thanks for advise.

Cheers

RobertV

Thankyou for your prompt feedback, that provides me comfort :)

I just relember that my wife still has an intel based macbook pro running an earlier version of OSX and I also have a spare lenovo laptop on which I could install windows. Should be OK then to run a FW update when buying a used TI2.

Here in Netherlands I can find used TI2 desktop for about EUR 1000-1200. New 1800.

I am temted to look for the keyboard version as welñ but I dont have a lot of space in the studio room and I would prefer to buy a good midi controller for ableton live, like the novation SL MK3 with 61 keys, which can also be a good standalone solution with the TI2 desktop, having a 8 channel sequencer built in and Virus TI template to control the TI(2).

My thoughts….otherwise I would look to use a TI2 keyboard version as my main keyboard including using it for abletone live sessions. And no dedicated ableton midi control keyboard.

Used TI2 keyboard version about eur 1500.

Cheers

RobertV

Good day,

I have been looking already for a long time to add an Access Virus TI/TI2 to my music setup.

Love the trancy sounds it produces and my feeling is it just has to be part of my setup for EDM/Trance.

I use Ableton Live 11.3 suite, running on Macbook Pro M1 (Os Ventura), and a midi controller keyboard MIDI USB a Yamaha MX49 Mk2.

Also I have a Yamaha CS2X but that is more sentiments from my youth :)

Although I can still use the CS2X with my M-audio USB interface to my macbook pro and midi in/out cables.

Would you still recommend buying a Access Virus at the moment, with the ceased support/integration for Apple M1 computers?

Either the keyboard version, or desktop, and control the desktop with my midi keyboard.

I know that probably I shouldnt mention it here, but I would consider Novation Peak desktop as alternative, in combination with a nice ableton midi controller novation 61SL ML3.

Just because that unit has no integration issues, is still supported, and doesnt sound bad at all. Its not a virus though ......

Just a bit concerned about lack of support for Virus studio integration at the moment....

I know there are 3rd party solutions like Aura, but how does it actually work ?

Thanks for your experience,

DJ Robert V

Did you consider this software? its available to all access virus models

Access Virus TI Editor Librarian
    Midi Quest Access Virus TI Editor Librarian with AU, VST3, VST2, AAX, and MFX Plug-Ins Details
    squest.com

Sound Quest Music Software
    Sound Quest, makers of Midi Quest multi-instrument editor/librarians. Midi Quest supports over 1000 different types of MIDI hardware from companies and was the…
    squest.com

Midi Quest, the multi-instrument MIDI editor/librarian, is available in four versions: Midi Quest, Midi Quest Pro, Midi Quest Essentials, and Midi Quest one to complement your studio's requirements.

Midi Quest supports over 1000 of the most popular MIDI hardware and instruments from 85+ different manufacturers including Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Sequential, Novation, Waldorf, Kurzweil, Alesis, Kawai, Akai, and E-mu.

You can store, organize, and edit banks and the individual patches, combinations, multis, performances, drums settings, and other SysEx data loaded from your MIDI hardware. Midi Quest is a true multi-instrument editor/librarian designed from the ground up to effectively support multiple MIDI ports, multiple manufacturers, and multiple MIDI devices - including multiples of the same hardware.

Midi Quest "talks" to each MIDI device individually so you can simultaneously send SysEx to as many as 250 different instruments and still edit another instrument - all at the same time. Try doing that with any other editor/librarian...