Beiträge von gravity

hi there,
    after updating to OS 4.1.1.05, i had Live crashing nearly each time when working on sessions containing the TI Control.
    although this happened mostly when closing a session, or quitting Live and rarely during work, i still had to move back to OS 4.0.5.01.
    strange is when creating a new session in Live and loading up TI Control to play around on a bunch of sounds, closing the session did not necessarily result in a crash
    Live mentioned something like "Viruscontrol_unloaded " as the responsible module.
    i could supply Live Crash Reports if this helps...
    best regards, gravity

Zitat

it's possible to create a drum kit (with analog sounds - tr808-909) in multimode and playing it by a sequencer daw like cubase5?

sure it is possible, and when using VC it's done fairly easy, you just load up the drum patches per part and trigger them from individual midi tracks;
    i'd recommend to route your outputs to mono channels, so you can apply separate eq, comp or fx in your daw;
    a discussion about mono routing can be found here:
    http://access-music.de/forum/i…page=Thread&threadID=1458
    however, just for avoiding fluctuations in the sounds, and to have the beats all in one midi file, i'd sample the sounds from the virus and play them in a (drum-/) sampler;
    in terms of synthesis, the virus is pretty powerful for drum sounds; just check out the wide selection you get in the factory banks plus the ones from the website;
    if you have a more specific demand, you still can create your own and see how close you get to your 808-909 reference;
    best regards, gravity

hey,
    there is a tutorial in your Virus TI documentation called "Programming Analogue Synths", or maybe you have even a printed version, too; working yourself into this is a good start and should teach you some subtractive synthesis basics;
    best regards, gravity

hey guys,
    achieving 6 mono-outs in Ableton Live is fairly easy as well, no matter if you use the "External Instrument"-plugin or create separate midi- and audio tracks;
    routing the six (or more) parts within VC either to USB1-3 hard panned or USB1-3 L or R is the same for all sequencers;
    getting those "mono" signals routed, you simply need to drag in the "Utility"-plugin on the desired track and select the respective channel you want to use (keep in mind the "Utility" has to be behind the the "External Instrument" to work);

there is just one trick about USB1 L+R, since you're splitting the output from the VC and won't be able to use the "External Instrument"; here is how it works:
    add one audio and one midi-track (midi routed to VC and the respective part), in the audio-track "Audio From" needs to be set to "Virus TI" - "Pre FX", since you'll have a "Utility" behind the VC; now you can split the VC-output in lets say USB1 L on the VC-track and USB1 R on the other;

i could provide a template-set for Ableton Live 8.1.3 like this and send it to your (marc) email-address, if you want... :thumbup:

best regards, gravity

Zitat

it's a bit crazy to use a virus as an EXF processor only

i agree, though i doupt anybody would... ^^

Zitat

...why not experimenting with it?

exactly what i pointed out for cprovenzo!
    i often use the Ti as a guitar FX-chain, especially with the new stomp-distortion algorithms in OS4; also the tape delay is a really nice live tool; :thumbup:

cheers, gravity

Zitat

...effects in Logic are better than...

better for what? and, how do they exceed? in parameters, sound quality, handling, or is it some ranking from an FX-chart list?
    sorry for this provoking undertone, but do you stick only to tools considered to be the "better" ones?
    following ideas is what it's about, and this can be using the worst possible device with almost no signs of conductivity, as long as the sound is right in the end in your opinion; :D

cheers, gravity

hey chris, my pleasure!
    yup, battery is a good choice, i use it myself; it comes with a fair selection of drumkits and it's a nice dedicated drum sampler;
    actually i have two licenses and one's surplus, :P but i recommend that you check it out thoroughly, make a few beats and you'll see how it performs for your workflow;

best regards, gravity

hi and welcome,
    no, the soundsets need to be downloaded and extracted to your "...\Access Music\Virus TI\Patches\..." directory;
    third party soundbanks are mostly commercial products from professional sound designers,
    but for the start, i believe you're equipped more than perfect (rather armed from head to toe) with what you get here; ^^

cheers, gravity

hey guys,
    well, the two sections you refer to are actually very different:
    in the 1st sequence (1:58) it's just the bass playing plus one hi-hat; the modulation sounds like a pitch wheel since it's not accurately moving in semitones; i also hear something static which makes me assume it was resampled and modulated in a sampler;
    in the 2nd sequence (from 4:00) it is mostly the pad rising in pitch which must be from a sampler, the way it sounds; the bass is just following a bit and moving in cents;

best regards, gravity

Zitat

Id be interested to know what drum sounds on the virus people are using for dubstep and jungle/ Drum and bass. and what other kit they recommend that works well

in those styles most artists use highly processed acoustic samples/loops, and if using a synth, i'd recommend this just for layering to support a certain frequency range;

jungle and drum'N'bass originally evolved on pitched funk and hip-hop drum-loops (vinyls simply played back at 45 than 33 rpm) just like the famous "Amen"-loop, which got already slaughtered a million times, for sure; ^^

choosing your drums actually depends on what you want; you can do it the hard way and start processing or even recording from scratch, or you stick to commercial libraries that contain wide selections of samples and loops;
    most drum samplers also provide a fair selection of sounds in their factory-banks;

best regards, gravity

Zitat

Don't fence yourself in the virus box, ...

the Virus is not quite a fence;
    actually i don't know any synth that has a wider sonic range than this and not just wide, it sounds brilliant in pretty much all its domains!

anyway, nobody is fenced in here, we're just discussing the optimization of this weapon, right? plus from what i know, appreciating users feedback is one of Access' main policies;
    and btw, how is that saying?: "necessity is the mother of invention", meaning a reduction in possibilities will rather quicken your creativity... 8o

Zitat

As to why, 96khz sounds better to me than 44.1

why 44.1khz, i'd bet the Virus is processing at least at it's maximum interface sample-rate, which is 48...
    however, i work on 96k too, and the internal rate was exactly my point,
    so marc or whoever knows for sure, please enlighten us! :thumbup:

best regards, gravity

well, i guess it's about recording in 96kHz when using the Virus as audio interface...
    however, this reminds me of something i've been wondering about:
    what is the internal sample rate the Ti is processing at and streaming via USB, same like it's ADCs? :?:

best regards, gravity

hey slightly,
    well, you describe yourself as "noob" but honestly, that whoosh-sound is fairly easy to recreate and this charming guy is describing the process very accessible; so i am sure you could have done it on your own, don't you think?
    no offence, nothing against zeno's helpfulness nor your question/thread;
    my point is rather about encouraging you to trust your own abilities and to practice how to treat your "sexy infectious machine" to give you what you desire; this means a lot of trial and error and empirical learning and sure it costs a lot of time, blood, sweat and tears...
    the thing is the more you find out on your own, the less likely you will forget your progress, hence your sound-design will profit vastly and therefor your music;
    don't get me wrong, i'm happy to provide guidance if i can and i appreciate others' help myself;
    so keep posting, but you may give yourself a chance, first; ;)

ZenO: your preview from "Object Pool VIP" is pretty cool, especially the way you use the tape doppler is very inspiring :thumbup:

cheers, gravity

Zitat

"how does he pitch the sound up just plays the notes or automation? "

what pitching do you mean, did you figure it out yet?

Zitat

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    !
    osc1 is a hyper saw....
    thanks agian

yup, hypersaw works nice as well! :thumbup: (but doesnt make that much of a difference, huh?)
    btw, that link "Roller Head (Klaas Remix)" is a great song, though i'm not much into electro/house; i didn't even know Klaas before i read this thread, but i like this one! i wonder why it's not listed on discogs.com :?:
    greetings, gravity

hey guys,
    to approach to this kind of bassline (shown separately from 0:58 to 1:13) you should get the basic midi-pattern first; here you have four bars with D#1, G1, F1 and G1 again;
    getting closer to the actual "klaas-infinity-bass" , you add major third and octave in the same rhythmic pattern;
    now you can get started tweaking the sound, here is an example:

starting from scratch, use all three oscillators with squares, same pitch but different PW and increase OSC3 detune
    - dial in LFO1 on PW 1+2 at about 50% with a speed of 70
    - unison comes in handy as well, with detune and spread just around 9 o'clock
    - set the filter balance to Filter 1 and the Cutoff half way down, modulated by 70% Env-Amt with Filter Envelope Decay between 25 and 30
    - add two stages of distortion, a Rectifier at the Filter-Section and a "Bit Reducer" in the FX-Section, both at full throttle;
    - now take in the noise at around 90 to get that noisy attack; ( you can push it even further using Env>FM at 3 o'clock in Wave-mode )
    - a bit of pepper or other spices to adjust it to your taste;
    i hope this is helping you out;

best regards, gravity

hey "zebastian21",
    yes, it is all done within VC as "enossified" described and if i remember correctly, you can route audio into an instrument-channel; it's been years that i used logic, so i'm not sure;
    now you just need to make sure your Virus is set to "3 Outs / 1 In" in the "USB Audio Mode" options;
    if it doesn't work like this, you can still connect the audio-outs of your Andromeda to the Virus Inputs, but keep in mind you have to disable the usb input, otherwise the analog one isn't working;
    however, you can use the Virus as Synth simultaneously in both ways, since you use just one part as fx-chain;
    best regards, gravity