Purchasing TI or TI2 61 Keyboard

• Greetings to all producers and musicians,

I'm David Gary and i'm planning to purchase an Access Virus TI or TI2 61 Keyboard.

My home setup studio: MacPro 2x2.66Ghz Dual Intel Xeon, Motu UltraLite, M-audio keyboard 88 keys and using Logic Pro 8 and 9.

This will be my first Access Virus purchase as i have dreamed of owning an Access Virus product for a very very long time(10 years in counting) and do hope that fellow Access Virus users can guide me thru in purchasing this awesome keyboard.

I read about issues on pops, clicks, sync issues with VC, OS 3 n 4 issues etc on other forums. Was just wondering Mac or Logic pro users have this issues frequently?

Thank you and Cheers

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 28GB Ram, 4 TB Hard Drive, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 7GB Ram, 2 TB Hard Drive
    Logic Pro X 10.2, OSX Yosemite, Motu Ultralite,
    Access Virus TI Desktop [5.1.3.00]

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidgary73 ()

• Hey guys,

I really need your opinion on this. I saved up enough $$$$ since 3-4 years back to buy this awesome keyboard and would like to really know your experience in using the TI or TI2 61 keys.

I was highly recommended to buy TI instead of the new TI2.

I'm just curious. Does the TI 2 has alot of hardware issues? Not user friendly or break down frequently while the Ti does not and not frequent?

TI 61 keys build is better than TI2 61 keys?

Your valuable input means alot in my purchasing of this keyboard.

Thank you and Cheers

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 28GB Ram, 4 TB Hard Drive, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 7GB Ram, 2 TB Hard Drive

• I own a TI (not TI2)

If you are expecting to buy a TI and have everything coming up roses .. you should not expect this.

The build quality of the TI is great. I don't know about the TI2 but supposedly it is "lighter" .. so my guess not as as good.

Also, be prepared for a lot of headaches.

There is this dream of Total Integration .. but when you try to get things going .. be prepared for company A (Ableton) tech support to send you company B (Access) and back and forth.
    (Both companies are in Germany and don't seem to go to lunch together.)

Also, I really don't care for a lot of the TI's mannerisms.

Back with the Virus A .. you got a hardware switch for the On/Off.
    Everything is software based on the TI. No On/Off switch at all.

If you expect to buy a Virus and have all your wet dreams come true .. you might as well spend $4K on a new guitar and expect to sound like Eddie Van Halen after 1 month of practice.
    Like him .. you will suffer and suffer .. and suffer some more.

If you are not prepared to suffer .. Do not buy a Virus TI or TI2.

However, if you are committed to the long, long ... long ... LONG hard road, then perhaps the Virus TI is right for you.

If you wish to consider another long road of suffering .. you might want to consider the Kurzweil PC3 series.

• Thanks Blackstone and r12 for responding.

Thanks Blackstone for the comments and warnings. Is indeed sad to know that there's so much trouble/sufferings that most virus users to have to go thru bugs/crashes after all these years and still at it even now. Given it's better now with OS 4 and yet complains are flooding in many forums etc.

I was seriously thinking of getting the TI2 until you gave me a big warning. Now i'm thinking twice in buying it. Maybe for now, software like sylenth1, Zebra, Vanguard etc (even tho they sound not as fat as the virus) will surfice until things get better with the virus TI's.

Still my dream to atleast own a virus unit and hopefully in the future to come.

--

Btw, if we use the TI's with MIDI (not the USB) to sequence Logic and using the main outputs and bounce the sound into Logic, that should work out pretty well rite?

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von davidgary73 ()

• I don't have the TI - I have a KC myself - but honestly I think blackstone's warnings are an exaggeration. Most people don't seem to have many, if any, issues with the unit. Few people come to forums to say "My TI is working fine," so it can lead one to believe that problems are more common than they are.

It sounds great. The build is great, particularly the keybed, which is the best I've ever used. Support is amazing (I had my first support email responded to in under 15 minutes on a Sunday... incredible.)

I'd look into a TI yourself. I would've gone that route if I could've afforded it. The price jump to get a TI2 is a bit too much to justify getting that over a TI.

• The overwhelming majority of people get on with it just fine. There's one thing for damn sure, you'll be guaranteed to be able to stuff you cant with any other piece of kit.

You may have a few issues getting started, but if you spend the time you should be able to iron most of them out, especially if you ask around - remember, nobody else is trying to do most of this, there's a price to pay for being groundbreaking - it's only ever a problem on the stuff that nobody else is doing (ie total integration, etc.).

As for TI vs. TI2, with TI you will probably save a bit of money going second hand (you wont find them brand new any more) and for TI2 you will get 25% more raw power - they also look kinda nice (though I still like the TIs).

• Thanks r12 and AtonyB for the reply.

Sadly i can't find a 2nd hand unit for the TI 1. My dealer here in Asia, Malaysia told me that they have one TI 1 left which cost USD 3000 while the TI 2 is at USD 3300 including shipping.

So, i'm not sure which TI to get...hahahaha.

Also, i was told not to get the TI's because softsynth (sylenth1, Omnisphere, Nexus, Vangaurd, Predator etc) can produce the similiar sounds like the Virus which many decline that no softsynths will be at par with the Virus sounds.

Funny thing is, why did Sean Tyas mentioned on Vimeo not to get the Access Virus?

• Pff, don't get caught in the "this vs this" game, they each have their own characteristic sound. The idea any of those softsynths listed can compare to the Virus TI is a total joke in my opinion anyway.

Some soft synths (Zebra etc) may be more flexible but the Virus has its own characteristic sound. If this is a sound that pleases you, just get the Virus. Plus you can't beat the hands on control the Virus offers.

Ignore what the ohter people say. If you like the Virus, it needs to be in your studio.

• Hello David,

There's a seller on ebay USA selling 2 Virus TI's at the moment. He sells worldwide and seems like he has very good feedback.

I just bought a TI, and I haven't received mine yet. I bought it because, like you, I wondered about the Virus for over 10 years, and now I have a bit more time and money on my hands, I wanted to try it. I first purchased a VIrus A, and it was everything I had ever hoped for- it was easy to program and the sounds are incredible ! I immediately decided to upgrade to the TI so that I could make the Virus my main production tool. The TI is like 16 Virus A's in one, plus effects for each part!. IF you really start to compare what the TI can do to popular soft synths, you see quickly where software is limited and very resource demanding in comparison.

Good luck!

• Pff, don't get caught in the "this vs this" game, they each have their own characteristic sound. The idea any of those softsynths listed can compare to the Virus TI is a total joke in my opinion anyway.

Some soft synths (Zebra etc) may be more flexible but the Virus has its own characteristic sound. If this is a sound that pleases you, just get the Virus. Plus you can't beat the hands on control the Virus offers.

Ignore what the ohter people say. If you like the Virus, it needs to be in your studio.

Will do mate. There will be always ppl versus this and that and it has been going on for a decade or so..hahahha. Lot's of it in gearslut forum.

Thank you for the advise mate. Appreciate it heaps.

Cheers

Wow..awesome. Can you PM me his ebay link if you don't mind? Would like to check it out as well.

I'll look into ebay USA as well and see if i can find the same seller you mentioned.

Do feedback as soon as you have gotten your TI Virus from the ebay seller on the condition and how it sounds, with total integration working.

Am also looking into getting SlateDigital Virtual Console Collection for some analog goodness to my tracks because working ITB seems to lack the grit and body.

Cheers

• Hi David, I've never heard of that one, is it a new hardware type of synth?

The ebay seller I mentioned selling the TI's has name something like `kloud9'- just type in `Virus TI' on the ebay USA web site, and they will come up. Like you said, there are not many TI's usually for sale on ebay. I think he had them for USA $1499 each.

I should receive the TI I ordered this week sometime, so I'll let you know it goes .

• Thanks Choond for the infos. Will check it our for sure.

The SlateDigital Virtual Console Collection are softwares. I was doing research on analog summing because working ITB does not produce the warmth and the wide seperation like the analog recordings. So my reading on analog summing from other forums leads me to SlateDigital website @ http://www.slatedigital.com/vcc.php

Seem like a good buy and kinda afforadable. 6 vintage consoles and analog summing for USD300. Sadly, no demo is available to try.

Anyway, am looking forward to hear your experience with your Virus TI. Sure gonna be an awesome ride.

Cheers

• Hi David,

Thanks a lot for the info on the console software. Analog summing versus ITB summing is a concern of mine too, as my DAW, cubase 5, is not so good at it. I am going to test the difference when my TI arrives, as I have a balanced line mixer (very quiet), an old unbalanced analog desk with wicked EQ, and a small soundcraft balanced desk to test. It would be nice to mix exclusively ITB for the ease of adding side chain compression & other effects, but I am getting the sense that with the TI ,at least, it going to be better to use the analog outs and submix through one of these mixers.

• Hi Chood,

You have some happening gadgets there mate. Sadly, i don't own much hardwares. Only a MotuUltra Lite, Yamaha HS80M and M-Audio 88 keys.

So my route is to have analog summing software which can somehow deliver a good overall sound for my music.

Slate has a thread here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board…ml?highlight=slatedigital

They have some sound previews/demos between the emulated and the real consoles. I must say they do sound very near. Have a listen.

Btw, can't wait to hear your reviews on the TI's man.

I may have to hold my purchase on the TI's till i get your views...hehehe.

• Hi David,

I have the Yamaha HS80M's too, but not the M-audio 88 keys. Is yours the 88 key weighted version? I've been wondering about 88 keys- must be so nice.

With ITB summing, some advice I read on gearslutz recently is that dithering with the right program can also help a lot. I will explore this option also, though it is a new process for me.

• Hi Chood,

The M-Audio Keystation 88es is only Semi weighted. I reckon the TI's have better key actions compare to the the M-Audio 88 keys.

I'm still learning about ITB summing as well.

• Hi David,

I have another keyboard called the Kawai 5000S, and it uses exactly the same fatar keybed to the one on the TI keyboard. It is quite nice to use though I never thought of it as anything really special until TI users started talking about it :) I can only compare it to a Roland Juno 106 that I own. The roland feels a bit nicer to me personally- its less `springy' but really I forget these things when start playing.

• i was told not to get the TI's because softsynth (sylenth1, Omnisphere, Nexus, Vangaurd, Predator etc) can produce the similiar sounds like the Virus which many decline that no softsynths will be at par with the Virus sounds.

I own a TI Snow. I have used both Sylenth and Predator. The others you mentioned are sample based softsynths so right away cannot do some of the virtual-oscillator things Virus can.

I'd say that Predator gets real close to what a Virus can do, including the massive bottom end. Sylenth is more like the earlier Virii (A nd B), no wavetables, but does sound good.

Predator sounds great but burns a lot of CPU to do so. The TI on the other hand, burns no CPU because it's hardware! You can use a lot more TI voices before you'll need to freeze tracks than you will with a softsynth. You also get a dedicated knobby control interface...no need to buy a generic knobby controller and waste time programming it and then labeling the knobs so you know what they do :wacko:

Of course, another thing you get for your money is a synth you can use without any computer at all, like on a gig! ^^

My $$$ issue was a lot easier than yours, in the USA Predator is $140 and I got my Snow used for only $800 so the small stretch was worth it. For the $3000 (new) or $2000 (used) that a TI keyboard costs here I'm sure I would have been very happy with Predator ;) because my synths are just a hobby, I make my money gigging as a bassist.

You haven't written this, but I'm guessing you have been unable to try a Virus in person. For me that was the clincher, it only took a few minutes of playing to realize how much better it sounded than other digital synths I had been using over the last few years. If you are willing to spend time with it, the programming possibilities are endless, it has a deep architecture that will reward careful sound design. If you just tweak presets, you may never take full advantage of what's offered (although in the thousands of presets are many that do).

In the end, it all depends on your application. I saw the Virus as a synth I could spend many years with, very important considering the price :love:

• @Chood

Wow..you have lot's of keyboards and you have a Juno...wooooow.

@enossified

Thank you for the reply mate. I'm also a bassist too and am working as a freelance music arranger. My current bass is a G&L Tribute 2500L series.

The Predator and Sylenth1 softsynth is really nice but i reckon it does not have the full solid sound like the Access Virus (mentioned in other forums).

We actually don't have music stores that carries Access Virus even tho they have a dealer/distributor in Asia. Most of the music store here sells well known brands like Roland, Yamaha, M-Audio, Casio, Korg etc while there no high demand for equipments like Access Virus, Nord Leads etc hence we don't get to demo them or hear how it sounds.

Also, my current worries is that everytime i work ITB, i can't produce warm sounding tracks because of the lack of audio hardwares. Then i found out about SlateDigital Virtual Console Collection plugins. I''m really looking forward to purchasing SlateDigital Virtual Console Collection plugins to give the extra life to my tracks.

Together with Access Virus and Virtual Console Collection plugins, it's gonna be a pretty neat combination tools for my music productions. I reckon the softsynth sounds will be much better running thru the Virtual Console Collection plugins to acquire some warmth and lush sounds as well.