S/PDIF for Newbies!

• hey guys,

I'm running out of inputs on my Ultralite Mk3 interface and was thinking that I could use the digital outs of S/PDIF instead of the 2 analog L&R outputs
    The thing is, I know NOTHING about S/PDIF - nothing at all.
    My set up is Windows 64 bit, Ultralite Mk3 interface, FL Studio 9.6, Virus Ti2 Keyboard
    I like to 'jam' with my other hardware keyboards outside of the DAW/VC envirnoment as well as (obviously) when in DAW mode.

1. I don't know what cable to get to - but I could google that :)

2. Does S/PDIF basically 'work' and carry all the voices, as anolog does?

3. Does it add affect latency?

4. Is it 'better'

5. Is it 'worth it' - I see a lot people with 'clock issues'

Any newbie advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a

• 1- any Rca Cables could transfer the signal
    2-it does good quality because transferring signal is digital to digital but analog does better quality...
    3-latency same as other input and it depends on your buffer size..
    4-what is better?
    5-you have to check it out but maybe fine,,,

• 1. It requires a decent rca cable, not any could do - some of them don't have the required 75Ohm resistance.
    2. If anything, analog has less quality as it has 2 DA/AD conversions, while SPDIF doesn't require any.

• For digital audio it is important that the devices are synchronized. One device (the master) sends the clock, and the other (slave) syncs to it. In practice this means that you connect them both ways (Virus S/PDIF output to Ultralite input, Ultralite S/PDIF output to Virus input), and in Virus' Config menu, set Audio Clock=Auto or External.
    BUT
    I also have an Ultralite Mk3, and tried exactly this, and had to give up :( . The Virus would display 'Clock problem at S/PDIF input', and the sound had audible artifacts, indicating that it didn't sync properly.
    Now I don't know if it's the MOTU clock that's bad (no idea how to test it even!), or the Virus cannot slave properly (in which case, why provide this option at all?). The artifacts were gone when Virus was the clock master, but then the Ultralite doesn't work unless the Virus is on.

The artifacts are easily heard on a single oscillator sine wave patch (open INIT patch, set balance to -100 and OSC1 wave to sine). Does it sound clean :thumbup: or distorted :thumbdown: ?
    Please let me know how it works out for you!

P.S. Get a DV (digital video) cable, it should be fine for digital audio too.

• I have a MOTU 828mk3, and I noticed something about the SPDIF synchronisation that you may be interested in.

I use my Virus without the VST, using the USB for MIDI only and the 6 analog outs, as I already described in other threads.

I have the SPDIF OUT of my 828mk3 linked to the SPDIF IN of the Virus only for clock syncing.

If you do not want to have a sync error message on your Virus, you have to power on your stuff in a precise order :

• your MOTU
    • if your computer is not running, boot it and WAIT it have finished, because the internal clock of your MOTU may change once it has established the link with the OS. (by example if your MOTU is configured in 48 kHz in standalone mode and in 96 kHz when linked to your computer)
    • power on your Virus.

If the message comes again on the Virus, you don't have to repeat all these steps, simply power off (not sleep mode, a complete power off: unplung the power cable) and power on again your Virus.
    But if you always execute these steps in the right order and then you don't change anymore the clock frequency of your MOTU, you won't have any problem for your whole session.

• Great posts guys - I've ordered the cables and they will arrive in the week.

I'll let you know how I get on with the set-up but thanks for the pitfalls.

To be honest, I've decided to sell one of my synths (Tetra, as I now have a Prophet '08) so I have space for all my synths again, but I am curious to get this working, as it would still free up a stereo analog channel for the Virus Ti3 :)

I'll let know know how I get on - if i go quiet though, don't think I'm rude - it's just that I'm due back in hospital next Sunday for a few weeks - so if the cables are not here by next weekend, if might be a while before I get to try this out.

Thanks again,

S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B