Logic: Problem recognising Virus and problems syncing to host

• I'm another user having major problems with the TI2 and Logic. I've updated to 4.5....removed all USB devices...restarted....jumped up & down alot - still - it does not work!

so I want to ask a question in this thread:

Does anyone out there have a working Virus TI2 + Logic Pro system?

when I say working - I mean:

Multiple midi channel playback at one time
    no timing issues
    no dropped connections

if so - please describe your setup!

• Nope. I have had numerous problems with my Mac Pro, Logic 9 and my Desktop Ti2. Sometimes it's in sync, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it detunes, sometimes it doesn't..for a long time I went back to using Midi and the audio ins of my Saphire...and despite what people say about the analogue outs not being sample accurate I found this much tighter than USB but even then it doesn't mean an arp will be in sync. I love my Virus but its terrible at sync. The other downside is you have to be old skool and name all the tracks with what sounds you used otherwise I can never remember what they were! ;) I do run multiple MIDI channel playback though and that does work both with MIDI and USB..its just not always in time ;)

• also having similar problems, but am getting confusing advise i run a brand new i5 quad core 12 GB 1333 DDR RAM iMac, 21.5 logic pro 9.1.4 64bit

can someone advise me the best usb port to use on the iMac itself? - and should i keep it on its own (also want to use my apogee one as my sound card)

should i use a hub? high quality usb2.0 hub if so shall i run from usb port --- hub --- virus nothing else. and then use another port on my iMac for my sound card? please advise I've just spent my savings on this and am quiet disappointed at the moment. Ive also updated virus to the latest version.

• Well, I tried plugging the TI directly into USB port 1 of my iMac Core i7 and all my other USB devices into a Belkin USB 2 hub connected to USB port 4 on the iMac.

Marc wrote:

so far it seems that nobody is using a hub - guys, give me a personal favor and try it at least. from what we see,

you will not be happy on an intel i5/i7 based motherboard based computer (which includes all new imacs, macbook pro and loads of newer PCs among other) without a hub in between the virus and your computer.

you need to use a USB2 high speed hub, only those get the translation right. put the hub in between the USB port and the Virus. put nothing else on the hub for now. i know this is different to what we suggested years ago but the situation has changed in some regards. let me know how it works for you.
    marc

I therefore recommend to put the TI on a powered USB 2.0 highspeed hub as Marc suggested.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Hey Jörg,
    You mean that we should not plug the TI2 directly into the mac, as the manual states, but instead use a hub?
    Really? :) (edit: Now I've seen Marc's request, too... sorry I seem to have overlooked that.)
    I have a Belkin powered 2.0 highspeed hub and will try it this evening.
    Still, I need this hub for other USB devices (mainly midi) in my setup.

• Hi there,
    I have just tested the way you told:

I have a Macbook Pro late 08 (intel core2 duo)
    Logic 9, newest version
    Virus TI 2, 4.5.0.16
    Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 hub plugged into a USB port of the MBP
    Focusrite Saffire 40 plugged into Firewire.

When I plug in the Virus, Logic tells me that It has found a new audio interface, and asks if I want to use it . (Logic Pro durchsucht Ihr System nach Audiogeräten und hat das Gerät „Access Virus TI“ gefunden.)
    I click NO (because I need and want to use the Saffire 40).
    the V-synth window starts up properly,
    but now I have about 200ms lag, which is absolutely unplayable for everything except pads.No, I don't have other devices on the hub.

-> unplug
    replug into USB directly on the MacBook.
    Still laggy, but less. I wouldn't play anyhting groovy with that lag (100ms?),

Oh, and the sounds played are ok, but the sound names displayed in the sound browser (where I clicked on them to choose them)
    are totally wrong now.

I didn't have the usual problems today (weird sound glitches), but they don't always show up in a 30 minute session.
    I know, I should probably test it for hours and hours, and I probably will, but to be honest, a piece of hard / software that failed to work properly on 3,4 occasions in the studio is not likely to be taken on stage. And the lag issues (both with and without USB hub) render the whole Total integration thing absolutely useless for me.
    I know there are others (PC?) out there, but for me it doesn't work.
    JUST NOW as I write these lines, the Virus played some random notes by itself. About 3 seconds long total cacaphony.
    Logic was on "stop", so it can't be logic.

So for me, I'm back to classic midi + audio in/out, as the lag is minimal that way.

I still love the virus for its sound, though ;)

• @ Barely - What is your Pro 40's Firewire Driver Latency Setting on? (You can find it by clicking the settings button in Mix Control) I think by default it is on Very Long, you will have to change it to short if you haven't already done so.

• @ Barely - What is your Pro 40's Firewire Driver Latency Setting on? (You can find it by clicking the settings button in Mix Control) I think by default it is on Very Long, you will have to change it to short if you haven't already done so.

Hey Ruari,
    it's on "long", but all my other Synths do NOT lag (at least not as much that I would notice)
    I have just switched it to "short". The lag is definitely smaller, thanks! :)
    But what does it do to the rest of my setup? I run Logic in live situations, so will there be chops and droputs?
    You know, I'm a little hesitant to change latency settings...

EDIT:
    Now I played a little in that combination, when suddenly the midi notes froze (played from external midi)
    -> all notes off via mono/sync button
    -> total freeze, no sound
    -> after 1 minute: 600-800 ms lag when playing :cursing:
    not good, not good...

• Logic will be absolutely fine with it set to short - I use a Pro 40 too by the way. Check your Round Trip Latency measurements in Logics Audio preferences now - they will be less than they were before I guarantee you that.

If you need to change any buffer settings then do it within Logic, I've got mine set to 128 most of the time & that works for me for most situations. The general rule of thumb regarding buffer sizes is smaller for recording & larger for mixing, if you find that you can playback fine with 128 set in Logic then you could just leave it there.

How much RAM have you got in your MBP?

• Logic will be absolutely fine with it set to short - I use a Pro 40 too by the way. Check your Round Trip Latency measurements in Logics Audio preferences now - they will be less than they were before I guarantee you that.

If you need to change any buffer settings then do it within Logic, I've got mine set to 128 most of the time & that works for me for most situations. The general rule of thumb regarding buffer sizes is smaller for recording & larger for mixing, if you find that you can playback fine with 128 set in Logic then you could just leave it there.

How much RAM have you got in your MBP?

thanks again for your reply :)
    I edited the above post (virus behaved badly again)
    My buffer is set to 128 in logic. If you say that logic will be fine with the saffire set to "small" latency, then I'm happy.
    I got 4 GB of ram... does this change anything?
    Anyway, do you play live with your setup (Virus+Saffire+Whatever)? Just curious, because most people I've read or talked to say, they won't do any Total Integration whatsoever when playing live with their Viruses.

• thanks again for your reply :)
    I edited the above post (virus behaved badly again)

You're welcome :)

I wonder if your Virus would be happier if it was connected directly to the MBP - I tried a hub after Marc suggested it but I went straight back to the direct connection as I was running into more trouble that way. I've got an Intel i3 processor so maybe the hub advice is more directed towards i5 & i7's

4GB of RAM is ok, I only asked out of interest as you hadn't mentioned anywhere else how much you had - if you had any less than that I was going to suggest that you get it up to there.

• i have snow leopard 10.6.8 with Logic 9.1.4
    12G DDR3
    iCore 7
    RME HDSP9632 sound card
    and Virus Snow

i got it out of sync problem with ARP
    i save money for this Virus and now i disappointed there is a lot of software Synths out there
    that save a lot of work to setup

the most simple think is sync and the "MIGHTY VIRUS" can't do that ?

Eliran Haliva
    Israel.

• which type of hub are you using in between your virus and the mac? in which way is the arp out of time? does it drift, does it have a static offset?
    marc

• I also tried a belkin usb 2.0 4 port powered up on my iMac i5 quad core with 12gb ram. and got a communication issue after 5 mins or use. as far as i see it. this virus is now going to cost me even more as i am required to get a audio interfance with inputs to enable me to record directly to audio from the virus. which is NOT really what i wanted to do. does anyone else have any ideas?

• I also tried a belkin usb 2.0 4 port powered up on my iMac i5 quad core with 12gb ram. and got a communication issue after 5 mins or use. as far as i see it. this virus is now going to cost me even more as i am required to get a audio interfance with inputs to enable me to record directly to audio from the virus. which is NOT really what i wanted to do. does anyone else have any ideas?

yes :) contact support and let them help you troubleshooting your system. if we find something we can fix on our end, we will. if we find something on your end, we might be able to help you fix it. i know this sounds like a lame excuse but at the same time, we had an iMac for instance on NAMM (the latest avail in january 2011) and we did not run into problems whatsoever. this means either we're missing something here or there is ways to make your setup work too.
    best, marc

• Hi, new virus user here so please excuse any silly questions i may ask but i think this is related to the thread
    this is my setup:
    macbook pro osx snow leopard
    logic 8
    4gb ram
    focusrite scarlett 18i6
    virus ti2 polar

the virus is not playing the complete chords which i have drawn in on piano roll, for example it'll only play one of the notes instead of the whole chord and im not sure what could be causing this, anyone have any suggestions?
    i have also checked that the virus is not switched to monophonic

• the virus is not playing the complete chords which i have drawn in on piano roll, for example it'll only play one of the notes instead of the whole chord and im not sure what could be causing this, anyone have any suggestions?
    i have also checked that the virus is not switched to monophonic

might not be related but try the tutorial song and check if chords are playing back fine in this arrangement. does it work if you record the chord by playing it on the keyboard? the reason why i'm asking is that sometimes in logic's piano roll editor, a multiple selection can result in only one note sounding at a time - i never really found out why this is.
    marc

• might not be related but try the tutorial song and check if chords are playing back fine in this arrangement. does it work if you record the chord by playing it on the keyboard? the reason why i'm asking is that sometimes in logic's piano roll editor, a multiple selection can result in only one note sounding at a time - i never really found out why this is.
    marc

checked the tutorial song and all the chords are playing fine in there
    i did originally record the chords by playing the virus which worked perfectly then edited the midi notes slightly in piano roll and it did work fine for a bit but then after a few plays stopped playing the whole chord
    and slightly unrelated but as mentioned before the virus does tend to randomly play notes on its own