Asio4all error with 5.01

• Hi everyone -
    i'm having a strange issue that may be a bug. I'm being forced to use Asio4all as my focusrite audio card does not conform to my virus's desire to have 128 or 256 sample buffers, but I've noticed that the virus audio interface reports itself as having 2 outs and 6 ins rather than correctly reporting 2 ins 6 outs - this is causing isues as I'd like to use the capacity of asio4all to use both the inputs on my Focusrite card and the inputs on my virus to patch in some external FX in my studio.
    Has anyone else noticed this? it seems like a problem in the way the Virus talks to Asio4all
    let me know if you are having the same issue.
    PS aiso4all is the feb beta.

• I don't think you should fear going back to not using asio4all, the delay caused by the odd buffer size is unperceivably short and worst thing about it is the annoying popup.

that's interesting - I thought it must have been something fundamental to warrant a popup!
    The advantage of using Asio4all is that I should be able to use the Virus as an extra set of ins - it would be quite useful to have another pair at the moment
    T

• cheers flabberbob - I like the latral nature of your thinking!
    The only issue with doing it this way is that to use external fx in cubase, you can set up a configuration that loads every time cubase starts - and with a bit of tweaking can translate to other systems/studios. if I use the VC method, I rely on other studios having the virus, and can't use the i/o as an input FX
    Can anyone confirm that the virus shows up in Asio4all as a 2 out 6 in device rather than a 2 in 6 out device?
    i've tried earlier versions of Asio4all, but each shows the same problem, and I dn't remember noticing the problem on 4.x (although, having the Virus audio driver enabled in 4.x made my system crash a lot, so I had it disabled most of the time!)
    If it's just my system, I'll tweak some more - but I have a feeling it's because the Virus audio driver does not tags it's ins and outs correctly. It seems to report it's outs as "Render" and it's ins a "Capture" to Asio4all, which may be causing the problem, and strangely the spdif doesn't show up at all..

• Can anyone confirm that the virus shows up in Asio4all as a 2 out 6 in device rather than a 2 in 6 out device?

you might want to consider that both have the same specs. what's the input and what's the output is always a matter of perspective. technically speaking, the three USB outputs in Virus Control are inputs because they receive audio from the Virus.
    marc

• thanks Marc - I agree -
    But when used as a soundcard, the perspective is somewhat fixed; an output is sound coming from the computer and the input is sound going into it -
    am I confused that the Virus can act as a 2in to out soundcard? - if it can act in this way I would expect that the jacks marked input 1 (L+R) on the back of the virus would correspond to inputs when Aiso4all is used as the driver, and that the outputs marked output 1 (L+R) would act as outputs in the Asio4all driver config.
    i recognise that the virus can't act as a 2in 6out soundcard (can it?) but a simple test would be to fire up your favourite sequencer, use aiso4all as the driver and see if you can get any sound to come out of the virus - I can't. I suspect the reason is that Asio4all is trying to play sound out of the wrong port.
    if I am correct in assuming the Virus can act as a 2in 2out soundcard, then surely Aiso4all should report 2 inputs and 2 outputs, not 6 and 2 as it does..
    thanks for helping with this, I recognise that this isn't officially an Acess issue, rather an issue using Access stuff!

• maybe a screenshot would help a bit - I don't get it..
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.optik.org.uk/asio.JPG
    so cubase is confused enough to let me assign input 5 and 6 of the virus as input busses - this seems not right to me.. I would get it more if it allowed me to assign them as output busses, but only two show up, and no matter what I do I can't make it make any sound when I just use the virus in Asio4all
    Edit - Actually - I do get what your saying - the internals of the virus dictate the need for such a driver - to route sound from the synth engine, through the sequencer via 3 stereo input pairs. so the sumation is that you can't use Asio4all with the virus as an audio driver, i.e. to obtain an extra input and output pair in cubase?

• you might want to consider that both have the same specs. what's the input and what's the output is always a matter of perspective. technically speaking, the three USB outputs in Virus Control are inputs because they receive audio from the Virus.
    marc

I can confirm that. The number of inputs and outputs is definitely wrong. I use my Virus TI (OS 5.0.0.10) with Linux and the JACK Audio Connection Kit. Linux detects the Virus as a standard USB audio device with 6 inputs and 2 outputs. The first two inputs and outputs work well and correspond to Input L+R and Output 1 L+R, respectively. I also tried to confirm this on Windows and yes, Asio4all also reports the same wrong number of ins and outs.

To the firmware developers (I don't want to withhold my findings): I tried to gather more information ("lsusb -v") about the problem and it seems like there is only a little error in the device descriptor which is reported by the Virus to the PC. (Assuming that the USB endpoints for Output 2 and Output 3 are already there). I didn't try this with any stable version of the firmware, so it might be a new bug in the beta version.

• Thanks Zillatrooper and Marc
    - Marc
    so is it a bug that it reports multiple ins to Asio4all? - can this behaviour be cured so it shows 2 correct ins and outs which would then enable me to combine it with my Focusrite sound card in Asio4all and gain an extra set of ins and outs - at the moment it seems that the Virus soundcard is not compatible with Asio4all.
    thanks

• To the firmware developers (I don't want to withhold my findings): I tried to gather more information ("lsusb -v") about the problem and it seems like there is only a little error in the device descriptor which is reported by the Virus to the PC. (Assuming that the USB endpoints for Output 2 and Output 3 are already there). I didn't try this with any stable version of the firmware, so it might be a new bug in the beta version.

the virus is a 2x in / 2x out soundcard. you cannot use those ports for the outputs 2 and 3. they are used internally for total integration.
    marc