Beiträge von stuie

I only used German hardware to create this song. My Jomox XBASE 888 drum machine was filtered through my Access Virus TI2's filters, and Virus provided all the other synth sounds you hear. If you haven't tried filtering external sources through the Virus then you must try it!

The speech samples were made my using a speech generator with a German accent. I used Google Translate for the bits that were in German.

https://soundcloud.com/13thcolony/lets-get-german

I've finally managed to put a song on soundcloud that shows the Virus TI2 doing growl-bass and Dubstep.

All the sounds are from the TI except for percussion. The first half is old synth-retro, the second half is Dubstep. At about 2:09 just after the drop you can hear the TI do some decent growl-bass. None of the growl-basses were layered, they were just single patches, and the modulations were stored in the patch - not automated!

Hope you like it.

http://soundcloud.com/13thcolo…ruth-about-flying-saucers

Can someone please send me the hot fix?

I contacted support and they have sent me (and the dealer) the original patch (2010-03) that did not work for anyone in this thread:
    Virus TI Hotfix 2010-03
    and
    Virus TI Hotfix 2010-03v2

I've tried both.

But from what everyone has said in this thread, what I actually need this one:
    Virus TI LED Swap Problem Hotfix 2010-05 Windows

Mac or Windows version I don't care. But it looks like the last windows version (2010-05) finally worked, so I'd like that one.

I can't find it anywhere in the downloads section and I'm starting to get really frustrated.
    I would appreciate someones help because my LFO LED's are still swapped around.
    Thanks.

+ 1 to synced LFO in mod matrix.

...Moreover, when playing typical dubsetp you need the LFO to alwyas be sync'ed to the bar so changing the sync ratio might cause the value sent by the LFO to "jump"
    ...I can think of two ways to overcome this: one is to create several bass patches, all identical except for the LFO ratio, split each one to a different octave (or two), in multi mode, now play the same note in a different octave to get the effect...

Firstly, you are right about the LFO clock needed to be synced. That's why unsynced, it's pointless. And that's exactly why I WANT it to jump from one value to another. Wouldn't it be brilliant be able to flick the mod wheel from zero to full travel on any down beat I want, and have the wobble change instantly in time. Done. Brilliant. That's why it needs to happen, and ramping between points would be very bad indeed. I don't want it to ramp.

Setting it up would be easy, link the wheel in the matrix, put it at full up position and select the new LFO rate. :thumbup:

Secondly, splitting the patches requires a new note to be triggered to get there. For me this might be the introduction of a new sound. If I want the wobble to change, I want it to change during the note I am playing. I can't see a way to work around it ...yet. But thanks for giving it a go! : - )

In fact, going a step further; if the matrix had absolute values instead of relative values, you could enter all the values of a totally different patch as the end point of the mod wheel travel. Moving the mod wheel could then morph between one patch and another (at least for the non-stepped values). RELATIVE values makes it difficult to arrive at a fixed sound, because who knows what a Cut-off of 37 plus a relative value of -17 is? What is that? 20? 29? 34?

Adding to what ozzlanda said...

At the top of the wobble or the growl, the main filters are open so the harmonics in the wave table oscillators shine through. Don't audition the wave tables with the filters closed or they won't sound cool. :)

I have been setting up my modulation first. Then auditioning the wavetables to match them with the vowel filter (which is lightly applied). Cycling through the wavetables after you have made most of your sound is a really good idea, I think. This way you can hear how the modulation effects each wave differently.

I hadn't thought about detuning though. Good point.

I can't wait to post an example, I think I've been getting some good results.

You can get "talking bass" by putting LFO1 in Envelope Mode and using a saw wave as shape. Then assign this (as unipolar) in the Mod matrix to the Freq-Shifter Freq. Then play with the vowel filter to start at the right point. It's not exactly skrillex... I think you might need to add some vocoder, but it's similar. A good starting point anyway.

I'm trying all this type of stuff at the moment. I plan to do some dubstep by just using the Virus, so we'll see how far we can push it.

For the people who are interested, I wouldn't mind sharing patches and working on this stuff together to see how good we can make it.

Remember that these mainstream people tried something different one day, and it sounded cool. If we use the Virus to make these sounds, it might not sound exactly the same, but it might in some way sound better or newer.

I don't think copying something exactly is that useful anyway, from an individual point of view. I really like my Virus. At the moment I can't make these sounds, but I think there is something just as good if not better lurking inside. And you never know, maybe we are only an update away from being able to use the vowel filter for this kind of stuff. : - )

I been trying this kind of stuff on the virus for a few weeks. There are many limitations, but you can get good dubstep bass sounds that sound different to the mainstream stuff, but still good.

Modulation is surprisingly one of the limitations, not just the filter sound. But, by just using the oscillators carefully you can get most of the way there. I've been using a modified sine from the wavetable on OSC1, a hypersaw on OSC2 and funky waves from the wavetable on OSC3 (like wave 41). Pitch sweep all 3 with Env 3 or 4 (OS5 only) or use the filter Env but it ties you down a bit. Filter sweep is kinda normal, SER6 with Filter1 only. And modulate some slight ringmod or something like that.

Wish I could use the vowel filter, but I just can't get it to sound right. Forget using an LFO on it though. You run out of LFO's really quick if you're using one as a delay for the wobble. LFO 1 as pulse in Env Mode assigned to LFO2>Cutoff1 works well but there goes all your LFOs!!! LFO3 can't really be used for much here.

It is probably better to use the Mod wheel to bring in the wobble. But that takes the Mod wheel away from changing the pace of the wobble... so better off just automating everything...

Careful thought on the use of velocity can help.

To be completely honest with you I'll probably just end up buying massive. But I'm deliberately holding off, because trying to make these sounds on the Virus teaches you much more about the Virus than you'd learn otherwise. Which is beneficial in the long run. Even if the sound you get out never quite gets there.

You'll still need pads and basses, so don't feel too bad : - )

Added to favourites...
    Well done. Love the bass, you're right - it pumps! :) .

My favourite part though, is the toms with heavy reverb from 2:15. A nice dark ominous build up that really sets the track up. 8)

I'm not sure I understand the question, but "Punch" is located on page 2 of the Common Oscillator menus (via the Virus hardware).

You're right I just found it! But you need to press Edit twice to get there, pressing Edit then Parameters will not get you to the right place. OK, so I no longer need to assign a soft knob. That's good. It would be nice to have in an easier place but I'm happy with that.

@theredfox - Thanks for the tip I'll try the LFO Pulse Wave in Env Mode. But I just noticed that using the destination slot#.amount# means I can only assign the delay to a single destination. There is only one user "Assign" for LFO's 1 and 2, and the destination can only be one of the three destinations in a slot. So it doesn't effect the whole slot.

So using LFO>slot#.amount# does not allow you to delay both filter cut-offs for example. Only one or the other. Although there might be a way around this with some creative thinking... still, a simple delay on the LFO would be much easier.

Shift Filter-Env Attack could be used for Punch. VC has a dedicated knob for Punch but the hardware requires a soft knob to be assigned, but this reduces the soft knobs to only two for other things!

Shift -> FilterEnv Attack would be a good place to put Punch because it adds sound to the attack phase to the signal. It's a logical place.

----------

Also I would really like a Multi setting that allows you to sync the LFOs between all patches in the same Multi. Similar to synchronising the LFOs in UNISON mode. This would allow for much better layered Dubstep patches to be stored... with a common "wobble".

Oh and please add filter cutoff as a destination for LFO 3... OR add a delay in LFO 1 and 2. The delay is really useful for more than just vibrato.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Thanks for your replies. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, I have been travelling.

I just downloaded OS5 again and re-installed the firmware once Virus Control was updated. But I still have he same problem, although I have now defined the problem better and unfortunately it's a much bigger problem than I thought.

ON THE HARDWARE: (with USB unplugged)
    - If I press the LFO 1 Select button and adjust the Rate, the LFO 3 LED changes to reflect the new rate of LFO 1. Not only this, if the type of wave is changed on LFO 1 the LFO 3 LED reflects the wave type change as well.
    - Strangely, the opposite is also true, if I press the LFO 3 Select button and adjust the Rate, the LFO 1 LED changes to reflect the new rate of LFO 3 and any wave type changes.

So the LED's for LFO 1 and 3 are swapped around. LFO 2 and it's LED work as they should.

IN VIRUS CONTROL:
    The same thing happens when I adjust LFO 1 and 3 in VC. The opposite LED changes on the hardware. It's as if they are physically connected the wrong way around!

As I said, re-installing OS5 made no difference, but I will try and find a copy of 4.5.3 and downgrade to see what happens.

I assume the circuit board is different on the Whiteout KB's because the LED's are white not red. But surely the printed circuit is the same as the normal KB, only the colour of the LED should have changed. So I still think it could be firmware related rather than hardware.

Can someone from access please confirm that the circuit boards are the same (besides the colour of the LEDs) between the Whiteout and normal KB's? Thanks.

I've only noticed this since I loaded OS5. I have a TI2 whiteout 61 key.

The LED's that show the rate on LFO's 2 and 3 work perfectly, but the LED on LFO 1 only shows the rate that the LFO was cycling when the patch was loaded. In other words: When you recall the patch the LFO 1 LED shows the correct rate. But if you change it's rate or the waveform type, the LED doesn't change. It stays the same as when the patch was loaded.

The good thing is the actual speed of LFO 1 does change, I can hear the change in effect on it's destination. But the LED does not display the new rate.

It's a little off-putting because I do most of my editing via the hardware so I like to see the feedback of the LED changing to reflect the LFO setting.

Let me know if anyone else has the same problem, or if it is OK on other units.
    Stuart.