Clicks and pops and notes dropping out

• I've just installed Virus Control 3.0.5 on my i7 6Gb (but with dual boot XP 32 bit to get Virus to work) computer with RME HDSP soundcard and I'm getting sound but there are a lot of clicks and pops now and again while playing the sounds.

I'm wondering what causes these and what to do about it? I will perhaps try installing a seperate USB card for the Virus. Any other ideas what might help?

Thanks

Rick

• The separate USB device is a good suggestion - i think you might need to divulge a little more of what you are trying to do....

Are you using hardware outs or USB outs?

Your clicks and pops may be buffer underruns in your ASIO settings, check them out...

Or do you get it on really simple projects, too?

• Thanks for your reply. It's on really simple projects too... It's hardware outs I'm using - through the RME PCI card. If your talking what outs am I using for the virus, it's all through the USB. Is it possible to just control the Virus using Virus Control and channel the audio direct back through the soundcard then?

Thanks

Rick

• You definitely can route the TIs audio through the analog outs, even with the Virus TI Control PlugIn being loaded. You can do this on the COMMON page for each PART of the Virus TI Control PlugIn. however please note that the analog outs are not delay compensated like the USB audio streams are. This has a technical background. So any Midi track triggering TI tracks routed to analog outputs need to be manually delayed in the sequencer to line them up with the rest of the signals in there.

Personally I don't do this at all, as it means another D/A and A/D conversion and I just prefer the very tight timing of the USB audio stream from the TI.

Best wishes,
    Joerg Huettner

• I got the same issue with
    - the analog out,
    - classic midi in (no usb)
    - sequencer mode and
    - 3 relatively simple patches loaded (dryad 80s, AT mini HS and VelFMBasBC from the factory library).
    - the rest of the voices are the -INIT- patch and don't receive note on midi info.

One is fine, two is somehow okay, but 3 is unbearable and unusable (random pops every 5 seconds or so).

It seems that any patch with analog filters or reverbs on is causing heavy dsp load on the virus.
    The idea to lower the dsp usage seems to deactivate the equalizers, the reverbs and switch back the patch to classic digital filters (which is a shame). And dump to audio whenever it is possible... a pity for a total integrated solution.

• Dear Batman,
    The amount of PARTs playing at the same time in the Virus says nothing about how many voices are triggered. If you want to you can run out of voices with the TI with a single sound. You can compare this a bit with your computer. If your sequencer is running at 100% CPU load, the sequence neither will run smooth nor will you have fun. If you're running DSP heavy patches no matter what features used that tax the DSP strongly you can run into this.
    That's a bit like complaining about your car not going as fast as you want, but it only can go so fast.

The Joker

• Thanks for your answer.

I play one note at a time on each part. Everything is quantized in a way that notes of a single part aren't overlapping.
    I will try to use a simple patch like a saw and one filter, no effect, no release on the amp env and a note at a time to see how many patches can I run.

I do feel a drop in the performance since I changed the OS. Maybe this is not linked and/or untrue but my older projects run with pops now.
    As we don't have any dsp load indicator, I can't compare on any measurable basis.

Regards,

• 3 relatively simple patches loaded (dryad 80s, AT mini HS and VelFMBasBC from the factory library).
    - the rest of the voices are the -INIT- patch and don't receive note on midi info.

One is fine, two is somehow okay, but 3 is unbearable and unusable (random pops every 5 seconds or so).

can you please send a sequence along with the patches used to support (best do a dump of the entire multi)? i would like to listen to that and compare with how it sounds here.

thanks, marc