Setup guide for Access virus and Cubase 8.5

• OK Please explain if what I'm writing is correct:

First of all I create a group track called Virus Recorder. What's the purpose of this ? is this just to group any audio tracks together into this one group track?

Then I set Virus TI Out 1 send output to Group Track ("Virus Recorder") - This is an existing Audio track that Cubase creates for its own Audio from the Virus TI ? So by doing this I'm basically forwarding all audio generated by the virus to the new Group track ?

Group Track ("Virus Recorder") send output to main - Self explanatory so the audio gets routed to my monitors ?

Audio Track set input to "Virus Recorder" - This is the bit I don't get. I need to create one ? - OK I did that. By doing so the newly created Audio track records an audio track of what's coming out of the Virus Group ?

I notice in your screenshot you have "lanes" - I'm not familiar with them. I've turned them on and now when I record a new MIDI track I get a separate audio track in each lane automatically.

Am I correct ?

What's the purpose of this then - not familiar with the 'render in place' in cubase or why I'd be stressing it.

I know you're right, I'd just like to understand.

Screenshot attached of a very simple 8 bars of nothing in particular on the Virus.

Look correct ?

Cheers.

Rob.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

9 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rhbmcse ()

• *Deleted*

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rhbmcse ()

• *Deleted*

Figured a lot out myself tonight, Oli...

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rhbmcse ()

• One instance of Virus Control connects to one Virus synth hardware. I have never tried that, but I would expect that you have to add another instance of the Virus Control plugin in the Cubase Rack and then there must be some way to distinguish/select the hardware to which it should correspond.

Painfully simple Oli - Each instance of VC plugin is auto assigned to each virus in Cubase. Could't be simpler.

• Looks all good, and it seems to work for you. Congratulations!

Your assumptions are correct except for the purpose of the Group Track: Cubase does not allow to route audio freely from track to track (but you can abuse sends - which provides its own challenges), at leadt not in the sense that any track could be used as input to another. So you have to send the input tracks of the Virus Control plugin to a Group Track, which then can be used as input to an Audio Track to be recorded. AFAIK that’s a limitation of Cubase which doesn’t exist in other DAWs.

Regarding the „lanes“, they are layers for takes within a track. Only the selected one is being played back. Mostly used when recording several takes of the same section (e.g. a solo), to later pick the best take or even edit a perfect performance from several takes. Can be highly addictive and lead to spending more time editing than recording.

Render in Place is a function that allows to select parts on a MIDI track and get them directly rendered onto a new audio track, without the need of routing and doing a recording in real time. If applied to an Instrument track with a VST synth plugin, a whole track can be converted to an audio track in a fraction of time necessary to record that track, depending on the processing power of the host computer. However, there are a couple of drawbacks when applying Render in Place to MIDI tracks belonging to a Rack Instrument and/or to VST/Instruments that represent actual hardware such as the Virus. The more obvious one is that the rendering takes place in real time. The less obvious ones are related to MIDI and audio signal routing and how parts are selected. I had situations where I spent the larger part of an hour trying to understand why Render in Place refused to work. Another caveat is that Render in Place starts and ends the audio recording right at the part boundaries. But the Virus needs at least one bar of preroll to get in sync with the tempo, so the parts need to be extended by one or two bars before their actual start. And you have to set up a proper tail length to record after the end of the part. All of that can be learned and becomes routine, but it would probably lead to brain overload right now.

HTH

Hapoy Virus recording!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• *Deleted*

Figured a lot out myself tonight, Oli...

Sorry I wasn’t able to assist more, my day job is pretty demanding and there’s little time left to spend on music.

But phantastic that you got there yourself!

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• If you could leave any instructions on how to manage the patches that would be great.

It is really easy.

The RAM banks are represented as libraries and you can drag and drop patches there. It should be directly written to the RAM.

You can also create new banks from there, but it is a bit hidden under the Save buttons in the list of Parts on the left side. Click on any if the Save buttons and check out all the menus and sub-menus: Aside from allowing to Save the patch from that part, there’s also one entry to ccreate a new library. It will present you with a standard Save As dialog to select a directory and name. It should br saved in the standard location for user libraries (next to “My Presets.mid“). Everything OTTOMH.

I’ll try to make another video if you can way a couple of days. But I’m pretty sure you are able to figure that out as well. BTW it is described in the PDF Tutorial How to operate VirusControl available online.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Oli - I can't thank you enough.

I just been on another forum asking about the best levels for recording a Virus and you wouldn't believe the hatred that I've got for asking simple questions. People assume that you're dumb just because you're not a sound engineer and only just dipping your toe into a new subject. We all start somewhere. I'm sure if I asked those guys how to program enterprise Cisco routers and switches I could make them look stupid.

You've yet again been the most helpful guy I've encountered so - THANK YOU!

I've also discovered that as I like to play with a lot of splits that TTI puts the Virus into SEQ mode which doesn't seem to allow splits so I've reverted to track instruments in Multi Mode.

I've much to learn but made a start.

You're saying that I should perhaps allow 2 x bars at the start of each recording to allow the virus time to MIDI sync correctly ?

Next challenges - No matter what I set my outputs to in Cubase it goes through whatever is configured in Saffire Mix Control. I'm guessing this is a configuration issue within Saffire Mix Control - I'll start to goole "Usng focusrite saffire pro with cubase" and see where I get to from there. Appreciate that we're way off topic here. Some forums prefer you to start a whole new thread per subject which is what I did at the start so my apologies for bombarding you.

Half the battle is getting everything set up as you want it to be, then learning the software.

The challenge after that will be adding Maschine into the mix for my drum parts.

After that recording Komplete Colllection VSTs within Cubase for my orchestral sounds that the Virus doesn't do so well.

Again - thank you.

Would you be willilng to help with and Cubase queries as clearly you know this product too - I'm obviously conscious that this is a Access Virus forum.

Cheers.

Rob.

• You're welcome.

Can't help you with the audio interface setup, because that is very individual for each interface. I'm using an RME for years, and still haven't mastered it's Total Mix software beyond a basic setup which is good enough for my purposes. Wouldn't even know where to start with a Saffire.

Regarding splits: You have to do them differently in SEQ mode. The basics are the same as MULTI. You are using several Parts to play at the same time. In SEQ you would instead have to route your incoming MIDI to all the Parts you want to use together and set up the range splits (which is a Note filter) in the DAW. In Cubase you would have to set up a Transformer in the MIDI Insert for a MIDI Track to a Part. The Transformer uses a Filter Target of Type Note and Value1 of Pitch to be less or more than a certain note and apply the Function Delete.

It's a bit more complicated than to set up Parts on the Virus in MULTI Mode, but it is much more powerful because you could to all sorts of processing on the incoming notes for a certain Part, like additional transpositions, automatic chording, enforcing a scale or changing the dynamics.

• In the mean time, on another Mac...

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Hey Oli - slight problem - I don't have a 'Personal Libraries; - Only Public and my actual virus. Any idea why I don't have a Personal libraries ? I tried doing it in Public libraries but it just doesn't list them...

Figured it out - didn't have RW permissions on the Patches folder - added myself with RW permissions and now it works...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rhbmcse ()

• Regarding splits: You have to do them differently in SEQ mode. The basics are the same as MULTI. You are using several Parts to play at the same time. In SEQ you would instead have to route your incoming MIDI to all the Parts you want to use together and set up the range splits (which is a Note filter) in the DAW. In Cubase you would have to set up a Transformer in the MIDI Insert for a MIDI Track to a Part. The Transformer uses a Filter Target of Type Note and Value1 of Pitch to be less or more than a certain note and apply the Function Delete.

It's a bit more complicated than to set up Parts on the Virus in MULTI Mode, but it is much more powerful because you could to all sorts of processing on the incoming notes for a certain Part, like additional transpositions, automatic chording, enforcing a scale or changing the dynamics.

Need your help on this one Oli. This is going way over my head :( Doing it in Multi mode was so easy. I've already got my splits set up on the virus and I can get cubase to play the parts that I need when I want it to easily enough. As soon as I use TI I'm limited to one sound per MIDI channel. I want to actually play the parts and have CUBASE take over where it's not possible to play them all. Doing it this route also means I can't just play without firing up CUBASE to do lots of complex routing for me and I guess then I'm stuck to only being able to select the appropriate multi when the sequence reaches that point ? Not sure that this route works for my use case ? I want to perform, not just have CUBASE regurgitate something that I've written although I'll want it to do that as well but frequently I'll want to play parts...

Welcome your thoughts or any kind of demo if I'm misunderstanding.

At present I have 3 parts all on CH1 - A rolling bassline sound, a chime / piano in the middle and a synth lead at the top.

Simply recording this into Cubase in Ch1 on 3 different tracks allows me to mute the parts that I want to play - or I can just record the parts that I don't play.

The TI route seems very restrictive and takes me away from the Synth Hardware which is what I love. Standing in front and performing. I'm not feeling the TI at the moment TBH.

Cheers.

Rob.

• Hey Oli - slight problem - I don't have a 'Personal Libraries; - Only Public and my actual virus. Any idea why I don't have a Personal libraries ? I tried doing it in Public libraries but it just doesn't list them...

Figured it out - didn't have RW permissions on the Patches folder - added myself with RW permissions and now it works...

Oh… I thought that was something that went wrong on my system and didn’t expect you to run into the same issue as well. But yes, the installer (sometimes) doesn’t set permissions as they should be for user documents.

• Need your help on this one Oli. This is going way over my head :(

[…]

The TI route seems very restrictive and takes me away from the Synth Hardware which is what I love. Standing in front and performing. I'm not feeling the TI at the moment TBH.

Ok, this is getting more difficult than anticipated.

On the positive side, you have a lot of different options at your disposal. On the negative side, you have a lot of options to choose from. It really comes down to what your goals are, to find a combo of options that suit your workflow.

Basic difference: Do you want to compose, arrange, record and produce? Then using Cubase and TI will be beneficial on the long run, you just have to figure out the details to adapt it to your personal style. Or do you want to perform live? Then Cubase and TI will turn into an obstacle, sooner or later and you should probably stick to the MPC Live and Virus Multis.

By showing you what the TI can do, I just wanted to open you perspectives and also give you the opportunity to use the software you already have, even if simply as librarian for your two Virus keyboards. Because the Virus Control plugin is a phantastic editor and librarian, which IMO is much better than any third party product. The drag and drop ordering of patches in libraries is something I’ve rarely seen in any other editor/librarian. It is also very stable and doesn’t require cumbersome manual synchronization between the editor and the synth.

HTH

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon () aus folgendem Grund: fix typos

• I hear you and was rapidly coming to the same conclusion.

I can see that TI is great for writing and producing - I'll be doing some of that.

I'll also be doing some performing - albeit at home.

Bearing in mind I also have a NI Maschine that I'll want to use for drums and a bucket load of Komplete Ultimate VSTs at my disposal that I can't use with the MPC live I'm going to try to stick to CUBASE as I don't believe these can be used in the MPC (although Kitmaker can convert Maschine Add-Ons I believe).

Cubase suits my more linear workflow of writing, plus I can record vocals, I have tonnes of EQs and compressors also on NI flavour.

Maybe I'll use the MPC live if I'm out and about but I can see it getting relegated now that I've got my whole studio up and running again.

My current thinking is that I'll use TI for composing / producing within Cubase - I can see how it makes life easier.

I'll use MULTI mode with Cubase if I'm writing something that I'm going to be performing.

The MPC is a great tool but it doesn't stand up against all the other goodness that I'm surrounded with.

Appreciate this has gone well beyond the original scope of the topic and I still have so much to figure out.

Would you rather me start new threads per-question, or stick to augmenting this thread ? - There will be more questions !!!

Thanks again.

Rob.

• Appreciate your thoughts and reflections. You’ve embarked on a journey to discover new ways to create music!

If further questions are about Cubase 8.5 setup, they can be posted here. But in general its more useful on forums to open separate threads for unrelated questions. It will make your question more visible to a larger audience, and therefore increase chances to get more answers. And it will later give other forum users a chance to find answers to similar questions.

• Totally agree.

Thanks Oli.